Will My Uk Television Work In Pattaya

pattayapete69

Hi All,

Firstly, thanks to those who responsed to my shipping question posted a while back......

I have finally managed to agree a sale date for my property over here in the UK. Arrangements have been made to get my furniture etc. shipped over, but I have a question regarding the TV. Will a standard UK purchased TV work over there? I seem to remember that our TV's work on something called PAL, is this compatible with the signal from local Thai cable TV?

Thanks

Peter

Hi All,

I have finally managed to agree a sale date for my property over here in the UK. Arrangements have been made to get my furniture etc. shipped over, but I have a question regarding the TV. Will a standard UK purchased TV work over there? I seem to remember that our TV's work on something called PAL, is this compatible with the signal from local Thai cable TV?

Thanks

Peter

Is this a fancy, expensive kind of TV ? Most modern TVs are capable of displaying different formats (PAL, NTSC, ect). Check your set-up menu and see if you have the option of setting a different format (I think it is the "System" option, and as you scroll through it, in the upper corner of the screen it will show each type of display option).

If it's not some fancy-schmancy TV, you might be better off just buying a new one when you get here (think about what it's going to cost to ship it here, and what a new one would cost here).

Take into account that you will have to buy a plug adapter (or change the plug) to the Thai style (ungrounded) plug (unless you have a grounded electrical system in your Thai residence).

I would be more concerned about the Hertz cycles though. If I recall correctly, Europeans have a (50 ?) hertz cycle, and North America is a (60 ?), or is it the other way around ?

Any electricians out there have a more detailed (i.e. accurate) answer ?

Not sure what cycle Thai juice runs on (I know it's 220 volts, just ask my poor old clock-radio. It lived for maybe 3 seconds after plugging it in back in '04) :o

Hi All,

Thanks

Peter

Is this a fancy, expensive kind of TV ? Most modern TVs are capable of displaying different formats (PAL, NTSC, ect). Check your set-up menu and see if you have the option of setting a different format (I think it is the "System" option, and as you scroll through it, in the upper corner of the screen it will show each type of display option).

If it's not some fancy-schmancy TV, you might be better off just buying a new one when you get here (think about what it's going to cost to ship it here, and what a new one would cost here).

Take into account that you will have to buy a plug adapter (or change the plug) to the Thai style (ungrounded) plug (unless you have a grounded electrical system in your Thai residence).

I would be more concerned about the Hertz cycles though. If I recall correctly, Europeans have a (50 ?) hertz cycle, and North America is a (60 ?), or is it the other way around ?

Any electricians out there have a more detailed (i.e. accurate) answer ?

Not sure what cycle Thai juice runs on (I know it's 220 volts, just ask my poor old clock-radio. It lived for maybe 3 seconds after plugging it in back in '04) :o

All british tv;s work over here They use PAL over here just like britain

I had shipped over a lot of electrical equipment when i came to live here 7 years ago. I was told to scratch everything so that it looked 2nd hand as if it looked new there might have been a problem, the Thais thinking i had brought it over to sell maybe. It all went ok, everything was checked over and then released to me. i didnt bring a television, but i bought my Sony hi fi, and it worked no problem.

Thailand uses PAL B, the UK uses PAL I. If you take a UK TV to Thailand you will either be able to watch the picture or listen to the sound but not both at the same time. This, of course, only applies to transmissions of Thai TV stations. Any form of feed that uses the SCART/RCA sockets will be ok.

I am also thinking whether to bring my tv, cd player - even vcr player. All are old and obviously so. Does their being old mean that they won't be hit by customs?

(I know that I could buy the stuff there but since I'm getting a container for my stuff - with lots of room spare in it - the incremental cost won't be much.)

I am also thinking whether to bring my tv, cd player - even vcr player. All are old and obviously so. Does their being old mean that they won't be hit by customs?

(I know that I could buy the stuff there but since I'm getting a container for my stuff - with lots of room spare in it - the incremental cost won't be much.)

As long as it's not really expensive stuff, I'd take it all. You can always say you don't want some of it, if they hit you for high custom charges.

Out of interest, how much does it cost to ship a container from the UK to Thailand? 20ft I take it, or you gone for a 40 foot?

Thanks for the responses all, I will have a look at the menu structure to see if I can change it around.

With regards the cutoms side of things, I have been given all the bumph by Pickfords, which states that if it is over 6 months old, and I am coming here with a valid work permit, it won't attract any customs duties. I have also managed to get a written statement from Pickfords saying that they will reimburse me if I have to pay any 'tea-money' to get the stuff in.

As long as it's not really expensive stuff, I'd take it all. You can always say you don't want some of it, if they hit you for high custom charges.

Out of interest, how much does it cost to ship a container from the UK to Thailand? 20ft I take it, or you gone for a 40 foot?

Mark,

I have gone for a 20ft sole use container, and the quote is 2,899 GBP, including full export wrapping and door to door service, estimated 4-6 weeks transit time

Mark,

I have gone for a 20ft sole use container, and the quote is 2,899 GBP, including full export wrapping and door to door service, estimated 4-6 weeks transit time

My quote from Paris to Chiang Mai €5100 (including vat) and also door to door. A lot more expensive than yours. Maybe delivery to the north of Thailand accounts for some of it - also it's the french of course...... Anyway I'm waiting for another quote which I'm hoping will be better.

Thailand uses PAL B, the UK uses PAL I. If you take a UK TV to Thailand you will either be able to watch the picture or listen to the sound but not both at the same time. This, of course, only applies to transmissions of Thai TV stations. Any form of feed that uses the SCART/RCA sockets will be ok.

The sound can usually be sorted out on modern sets with just a software change and as said by endure if you just watch through the scart/RCA inputs everything will work OK anyway, the biggest problem is if you want to watch anything via the aerial socket (and in Thailand their 'cable system' is fed via the aerial socket, not a cable box), the Thai system uses the VHF(L), VHF(H) and UHF frequencies for transmitting their signals whilst the UK only uses the UHF waveband so on a UK set you couldn't receive the channels transmitted on the other two wavebands. Modifying the set would be too expensive.

Thanks for the responses all, I will have a look at the menu structure to see if I can change it around.

With regards the cutoms side of things, I have been given all the bumph by Pickfords, which states that if it is over 6 months old, and I am coming here with a valid work permit, it won't attract any customs duties. I have also managed to get a written statement from Pickfords saying that they will reimburse me if I have to pay any 'tea-money' to get the stuff in.

Pickfords are dreaming of a completely different Thailand!

When completing a long (for me) contract in Saudi - six years - I sent my collected junk back to Pattaya by Namma Cargo and it was cleared by Santa Fe - both reputable companies.

Despite attaching the purchase receipts to all the electrical goods I was hit for a few thousand baht in both customs and clearance fees.

I don't blame anyone but the greedy little shits in Royal Thai Customs.

All british tv;s work over here They use PAL over here just like britain

Hey that's great news. I'm getting rather fed up with the rubbish they have on tv here, think I'll bring over 1 of my tv's from the mother country so I can keep up to date with eastenders and corrie.

Most TV sets are designed for use in all markets nowadays, it's more expensive to manufacture 3-4 different types of TV sets than one single unit.

If it's through Satellite that you will be watching TV then it won't be any trouble at all.