Are there any AIS mobile users experiencing problems with network coverage?

I am with Kasikorn Bank (KBank) and have been for many years but I refuse to use their K-Biz mobile app but they insist on me using SMS Text OTP codes to authorise payments for even tiny amounts e.g. 20 THB top-ups. In the past this hasn't been a problem as my Thai SIM has worked both in Thailand and UK until recently when I've discovered I only get a signal for a short time then it cuts out.  Not 100% sure I know why but I've noticed AIS are now trying to sell roaming packages for DATA and also Voice & SMS calls !?  Previously this was free though you paid extra charges for SMS and Voice calls but now it seems they're trying to screw more out of people who travel abroad.  Anyone else had the same problem? 

• Like 1

No problems at all for me with my AIS POSTPAY SIM in the UK since mid-April. I don't subscribe to any roaming packages while in the UK but simply keep the SIM in the phone as second SIM for receiving any OTPs from Kbank. Their mobile App is good and no reason not to use it though IMO. 

Earlier this year while in Thailand, the SIM went dead with no notice. No service. Took it to AIS and they told me it was an "old" SIM (only from Aug 2020) and they replaced it immediately at no charge. Advise you get a new SIM once back in Thailand.

24 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

No problems at all for me with my AIS POSTPAY SIM in the UK since mid-April. I don't subscribe to any roaming packages while in the UK but simply keep the SIM in the phone as second SIM for receiving any OTPs from Kbank. Their mobile App is good and no reason not to use it though IMO. 

Earlier this year while in Thailand, the SIM went dead with no notice. No service. Took it to AIS and they told me it was an "old" SIM (only from Aug 2020) and they replaced it immediately at no charge. Advise you get a new SIM once back in Thailand.

Thanks for the message mine has been working same as yours until recently but will think over getting a new SIM too.   Have emailed AIS so hope they can shed some more light on the problem.

• Like 1

It looks like I 'might' have cured the problem myself.  I changed the SIM card settings for my AIS sim slot from 'automatically select network' to manually select 'O2 3G UK' instead and it has not lost it's signal since so I am confident the SMS issue should've now gone away with luck.  If the problem arises again I shall post an update. Otherwise it's fixed and thanks for your suggestions.
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 1:03 AM, trevoromgh said:

Anyone else had the same problem? 

I just use WiFi call in the settings of the SIM ( I use both AIS and DTAC) when overseas so any calls or sms messaging comes over the local overseas WiFi network which can be any provider. The costs are as if using a local SIM in Thailand. It negates need to worry if the SIM will work with international roaming.

Have used AIS for many years and never had a problem with it. Using it overseas you will need International Roaming. IT costs around Baht 2,000 to get it and takes AIS as long as 1 minute to activate it. It is just a tick box for them on the computer.

Edited by Photoguy21

19 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

I just use WiFi call in the settings of the SIM ( I use both AIS and DTAC) when overseas so any calls or sms messaging comes over the local overseas WiFi network which can be any provider. The costs are as if using a local SIM in Thailand. It negates need to worry if the SIM will work with international roaming.

Thanks for the suggestion but I cannot see anything in my SIM card settings which allows me to route voice and SMS via Wi-fi instead of the cellular network. My phone is Android by the way.   If you can expand I'd be grateful.

17 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Have used AIS for many years and never had a problem with it. Using it overseas you will need International Roaming. IT costs around Baht 2,000 to get it and takes AIS as long as 1 minute to activate it. It is just a tick box for them on the computer.

Well the packages they are showing me on 'My AIS' app range from B 998 (2 days) to B 5,990 (40 days) for Voice & SMS Roaming (i.e not Data) but I'm overseas for 6 months at a time which would make it expensive.  

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Quite confusing thread/title.

As I understand it's about using an AIS SIM in the UK?

So the title misleads to thinking about AIS coverage in Thailand while it is about a roaming problem? (O2)

Sorry for the confusion but I forgot to specify 'UK' in the title

11 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

Well the packages they are showing me on 'My AIS' app range from B 998 (2 days) to B 5,990 (40 days) for Voice & SMS Roaming (i.e not Data) but I'm overseas for 6 months at a time which would make it expensive.  

Agreed but it is a one off payment

35 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

It doesn’t cost anything for International Roaming. 
You are referring to the purchase of data packages for use during International Roaming, but they aren’t compulsory. 

16 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

Nope. International Roaming is free. Receiving SMS via International Roaming is generally free. Voice calls aren’t free, but you can pay for those from credit or via bill. There is no need to purchase any package. 

25 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

Those packages are not needed for Roaming. The are for people who want to use the number to call and send SMS/MMS and use mobile data whilst abroad and who want to buy a prepaid bundle to include a certain amount of minutes, SMS/MMS and a volume of data. But if you only want to receive SMS or don’t want to buy a prepaid bundle, there is no need to purchase. 

16 minutes ago, NextG said:

Those packages are not needed for Roaming. The are for people who want to use the number to call and send SMS/MMS and use mobile data whilst abroad and who want to buy a prepaid bundle to include a certain amount of minutes, SMS/MMS and a volume of data. But if you only want to receive SMS or don’t want to buy a prepaid bundle, there is no need to purchase. 

Well they don't make that very clear so when I started getting issues I thought this might've been the reason. Anyway, problem seems to have gone away using the solution I give above.