Dtac Call wll get discontinued in October? How to receive SMS while abroad then?

armin677

I'm using 2 Thail DTAC simcards to receive SMS from my banks - from Thail and non-Thai ones.
Today I received an sms that Dtac Call will become discontinued on 11th Oct 2023.

I'm in Latin America.

How to receive SMS outside of Thailand then? There's no any  android app of DTAC that's capable of receving SMS left anymore? DTAC OneCall app can't receive SMS, can it?

Can e-sim help resolve this? Can an existing DTAC sim be converted into an eSim  while abroad?

Edited by armin677

Its a problem for me too as I have no mobile signal at my UK home so I rely on DTAC Call to receive one time passwords when conducting transactions on my Kasikorn online banking.

However, as long as you have a Thai SIM card with roaming turned on and have a mobile signal then you should receive SMS messages. Of course depenedent on whether or not DTAC have a partner agreement with a network provider in your country.  Make sure yout SIM is topped up though.

I know nothing about DTAC One Call sorry but to be honest I'm sick of DTAC doing this.  I used to be able to use straight forward Wifi Calling with my old Thai SIM card, then I unfortunately ran out of credit and failed to top up again before they turned off their service.  When I realised what had happened I called DTAC and they resurrected my SIM card - but the Wifi calling no longer worked.  I called again and they told me that I needed a new SIM.  Next trip to Thailand I obtained a new SIM but Wifi Calling still didn't work. Called them again and was told that Wifi Calling was no longer supported but I could download DTAC Call. I did that and all was fine again.

However, I recently changed phones and found that DTAC Call was no longer available to download on Google Play.  Once again I called DTAC and they told me they were no longer accepting new customers for DTAC Call but the service was still working for existing customers - I protested that I was not a new customer, I'd simply changed phones. No joy.

I found a workaround by dowloading an old version on an APK website. That was 2 months ago and I thought all would be OK until, like you I received the badly worded SMS message today that advised me that DTAC Call was ending in October.

I've looked around and it seems that AIS might have a similar service to DTAC Call but I don't know if its actually available - bizarrely Thai companies don't seem to take down websites, even when a service or item is no longer available.  Two months ago DTAC Call was still on a website - it was only when I tried the dowload link to Google Play that I found it wasn't available.

As I say, I have no moble service at my UK home so I receive Thai text messages via DTAC Call when I'm at home and through the mobile network when I'm in a signal area. Oddly, today I received the SMS telling me DTAC Call was ending AT MY HOME via either the mobile network or via Wifi Calling.  Unless somehow, a rogue mobile signal suddenly became available - extremely doubtful, that message arrived via Wifi Calling which I wasn't aware was working.  I know it was one or the other because DTAC Call messages arrive in the DTAC Call App only whereas mobile network/Wifi call messages enter my normal messaging folder. They also make different sounds.

I'm due back in Thailand in a couple of weeks so I'll check out the AIS service and if necessary change to them.

9 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Enable international roaming.

Are you prepaid or postpaid?

https://dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/roaming/preparation.html

Obviously you'll need a handset which supports local frequencies, and have access to a roaming partner.

Receiving an SMS, anywhere, is free of charge.

I like it - "Obviously."

Do you think that I'm aware of the roaming?

What if there's no local partner that support DTAC? I've already experienced this.
What if I no longer have a physical simcard?

Will I have to turn my signal on my phone on each time I want to receive SMS?

"Obviously" this isn't a substitute to DTAC Call app.

Edited by armin677

On 8/25/2023 at 3:54 AM, MangoKorat said:

I'm due back in Thailand in a couple of weeks so I'll check out the AIS service and if necessary change to them.

AIS has fairly strict handset requirements for WiFi calling. I think it is available to both prepaid and postpaid customers. You'd have to port your number from DTAC to AIS, or change your new AIS number at your bank(s).

https://www2.ais.th/4g/vowifi/en/

*399*1# SEND will return a yes or no on your handset (based on IMEI).

Service providers introduced these WiFi Calling options mainly to provide coverage in high rise buildings, where mobile signals might not reach, but where customers probably have WiFi.

DTAC and True have merged. Not sure if this cessation of service is cost related? The service, or maybe support of the app, ends 11 October 2023.

I did see this response on pantip.com, from a True/DTAC rep.

Hello, "OneMilk" because the dtac call service is a service based on old technology that has not been developed. But for using calls abroad, don't worry. You can still use the dtac WiFi Calling service instead easily on the menu of the device without having to download and install an app. Charge according to the current package rate of the customer. It can be used for both monthly and prepaid systems.

Nong Fah would like to accept information about this service in order to notify the concerned department for acknowledgment. for information to consider in issuing new services To meet the needs of service users even more.

https://pantip.com/topic/42185473

Not sure what to make of that, but many handsets do support WiFi calling 'natively'.

Another pantip post

Nong Fah would like to thank you "member number 7697788" for liking the dtac call service. However, you "member number 7697788" can use the dtac WiFi Calling instead easily on the menu of the device without having to download and install an app. Anywhere around the world via WiFi even in areas without cell phone signal. Save on normal service charges. according to available packages It's like being in Thailand. To apply, press *444*41# call out)

https://pantip.com/topic/42182334

Edited by bamnutsak

Received the same SMS via the app. Just got to know about this app earlier this year and now it is being phased out ????. This is so much better than WiFi Calling and eSIM. Hope they make a new version of this.

Question will be when the services ends, does the Calls and SMS get switch back automatically or do we have to do the transfer before hand ? As you know, if the app is activate, no Calls and SMS will go thru the SIM. So the procedure to make the SIM "active" again will be going thru the app and disable the number in Manage Numbers. Is this procedure needed when dtac Call ends its service ?

Edited by extercy
  • Like 1

Sounds like DTAC is following the path SCB is following.

I've used SCB's online web site to download transactions and make manual payments (like to my condo management for annual fees) SCB is discontinuing online web site banking in favor of smart phone app.  I can't seem to enable the SCB app while I'm here in Mexico.  And, even if I could, there's no way to download transactions.  Progress? 

Edited by wpcoe

On 8/25/2023 at 3:54 AM, MangoKorat said:

Its a problem for me too as I have no mobile signal at my UK home so I rely on DTAC Call to receive one time passwords when conducting transactions on my Kasikorn online banking.

This is my experience 2 weeks ago.

I was in Europe and my Thai SIM didn't connect to the network, probably because I hadn't enabled roaming.

I booked flight upgrade online using my Kasikorn debit card.

Was asked for the OTP, which I of course didn't receive. I ticked resend twice, but obviously still didn't receive one.

I then clicked cancel, and the transaction was approved instantly. ????

7 hours ago, armin677 said:

Can Skype be used to receive SMS via internet?  Has anyone used it for this?

Not only for Thai banks and not even with a Thai number, but generally.

Well they won't accept whatsapp so I doubt it - even though (at the moment) whatsapp is far more secure than standard network SMS.

8 hours ago, armin677 said:

Can Skype be used to receive SMS via internet?  Has anyone used it for this?

Skype instituted SMS several years ago, I have a USA number that I receive verification codes for US websites, like banks, etc. I don't know if it's because I pay for a Skype number, as I use that for my Skype account. When getting a Skype number you can select a country the number is associated with; see below.

A Skype Number is a second phone number which is attached to your Skype account, allowing you to answer incoming calls on your Skype app anywhere. People can call you from their mobile or landline and you pick the call up in Skype. A Skype Number is great option if you, or your friends and family live in different countries, or plan to travel abroad and want an affordable way to keep in touch.

Anyone can dial your Skype Number from any mobile or landline and you simply pick up the call on Skype.

13 hours ago, ClaySmc said:

Skype instituted SMS several years ago, I have a USA number that I receive verification codes for US websites, like banks, etc. I don't know if it's because I pay for a Skype number, as I use that for my Skype account. When getting a Skype number you can select a country the number is associated with; see below.

to receive SMS,  does it have to be a number from the US or from any of the 25 countries that are supported?

1 hour ago, armin677 said:

to receive SMS,  does it have to be a number from the US or from any of the 25 countries that are supported?

No the number doesn't have to be a US number. But it does have to be one of the 25. Which does not include Thailand. I'm using a US number to get bank or other verification codes from US companies to my Skype here in Thailand. The verification codes go to my US Skype number; as I needed to set up those accounts to be received with a US number. 

I also tested and sent a message from my US Skype number to my Thai AIS number. But it still not quite what you need, if you will be in the UK and want to interact with your Thai bank.

10 hours ago, armin677 said:

How do I receive SMS text messages in Skype?

You can receive SMS text messages in Skype if you have a Skype Number. Currently, only US Skype Numbers can receive SMS messages*. Two-way SMS text messaging is not supported in Skype on Android 4.0.4 - 5.1.

* Note: You can receive SMS messages on your US Skype Number from US and Canadian mobile numbers. However, SMS messages sent from services such as identity verification are not supported on US Skype Numbers.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34884/how-do-i-receive-sms-text-messages-in-skype

Some report issues receiving Short Code SMS, which is what many entities use for OTP verification.

9 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

The banks, well my bank, will not send an SMS by whatsapp so I doubt they'll accept Skype - comprendi professori?

You have no idea what you're arguing about. And I won't even explain.

Edited by armin677

11 hours ago, armin677 said:

You have no idea what you're arguing about. And I won't even explain.

On the contrary, I have every idea what I'm talking about, I won't say 'arguing' - I'll leave it to you to do that.  I have simply tried to help you with your original queery because I have exactly the same problem. Before going further, let me correct you on one of your original suggestions - that DTAC Call can't receive SMS. DTAC Call receives both calls and SMS and does both pretty well.  Not that it matters as the service is going to be discontinued - so I have no idea why you even mentioned that. Nonetheless, at the moment, DTAC Call does receive SMS - I received 2 yesterday.

OK, back to the OP.

The issue is that you want to be able to receive text messages from your Thai bank whilst your outside of Thailand.........correct?  From your more recent posts it seems that you were wondering if Skype might provide a solution. What I am trying to tell you is that Thai banks, at least the ones I deal with, will only send OTP's and other text messages to a Thai mobile number.

Whatsapp is a far more secure system than any SMS but Kasikorn refuse to send messages using that - so I very much doubt that they will send them via Skype.

As I said to you in a previous reply - DTAC WIFI calling does work outside Thailand using a Thai SIM, I can send and receive both calls and SMS using it.  However, based on my experience yesterday, even that may not be any good. To explain:

I conducted a payment transaction on my Kasikorn online Banking application yesterday at 11.58am. The OTP needed to complete the transaction was received at 11.58am via SMS on DTAC Call.  However, the OTP was not received over WIFI until 12.37pm - almost 30 minutes later.  I don't know how much time is allowed but I do know that OTP's time out after a few minutes so it was lucky that I got the OTP on DTAC Call.  Clearly that will not happen after October 3rd when the DTAC Call service ends.

If you have a mobile signal where you are, and DTAC have a roaming partner in that country, your Thai SIM should work and receive SMS normally through the mobile network although you will be charged.  You will need to check that out and also make sure roaming is turned on, on your Thai SIM. I don't have that option as there is no mobile signal where I live in the UK.

I will be in Thailand shortly so I'm going to try and find a solution as I must be able to receive OTP's to complete banking transactions on my Kasikorn account.  I use online banking on my laptop, I don't have the Kasikorn App on my phone.  I don't know if I still need to receive a OTP if I use the App but I will find out when I'm there.

Failing that, AIS have a similar service to DTAC Call - called VOWIFI - or at least they say they do. If that service is still working and will also receive text messages I may change to the AIS network.  I question whether or not that service is still working because Thai companies have a habit of leaving websites intact - even after a service ends.  If you search for DTAC Call you will find that their webpage advertising it is still there as if the service is available.  You only get to know there is something wrong when you try to download the App on Google Play - you can't.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Skype has made it difficult to figure out which plan to use. Skype must have hired the same person to write their pages that wrote UNIX/Linus man pages.  Back in 2005-06 I used Skype IN and Skype Out to communicate with my children in the US while in Chiang Mai.  And that worked fine.  What I would like to do is to use a US ported number to Skype and use Skype IN/OUT or Skype NUMBER for many of the same reason stated above, but would also like to have my incoming calls forwarded to my Thai number.  I think that I remember Skype indicating that you can forward your call to any number running the SkypeAp on your mobile anywhere in the world.  Anyone doing this or have other suggestions?  If so, will SMS message go bidirectional?    

I'm not sure why Skype makes this difficult to figure out.