Do you really think drugs should be legalised ?

2 hours ago, jvs said:

Yes.legalize all drugs.

Drugs should be sold in government shops and this will take the criminal

aspect out of it.

Instead of kind of quoting a police officer in the US why not look at

Portugal?

Read up on that and get back to me.

Alcohol is still the most abused drug and i can't believe you were shocked about the Thai shift to normalcy .

I don't think all drugs should be legalised but I do think they should be decriminalised (there is a difference) as they did to great success in Portugal.

By decriminalising drugs you push the emphasis to rehabilitation and make it a medical issue NOT a criminal one. I am all for that. And for all those out there who are not familiar with what Portigal has done -   https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/05/portugals-radical-drugs-policy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I used the word "reckon " a few weeks ago in Pattaya in the night bazaar to a stall holder , he looked shocked and said "you must be Australian!!! 

????............Blimey, I must think of another phrase, Australian.................????...........????

A lot of so called drugs were made illegal under false premises or political motivations at the time. The bs propaganda against them still prevents many people looking at the situation with an open, logical mind.

Sugar, caffeine, cannabis are about the same level, though the later is rightly argued to offer the most health and other benefits. The motivated prevention has limited the exploration and common usage of those health benefits whilst at the same time contributed to a deluge of synthetic pharmaceutical profit making alternatives that's likely been very harmful. Legalization of cannabis can be seen as more of a correction on past abuses and a good first step to explore those benefits.

The war on drugs is generally viewed to have failed miserably and massive cost, imagine going to jail for a bag of sugar or a cup of coffee, sounds fairly absurd.

There are so called harder drugs with alcohol probably a mid level drug and whilst addictive traits in some cases its nowhere near the levels of addiction that some other drugs were specifically tailored to be.

With these harder drugs addicts need help, not jail. I am not for full legalisation of all drugs, partially because people are idiots and many will abuse and self harm and then drag families and society with them but it may allow for more control on content of drugs to remove some of the poisons.

This then comes back to education, full legalisation needs to come with suitable education and support options for those who may lose their way.. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I give drug addicts credit for attempting to find and access the right mental state.  But they are selecting the wrong product and strategy to achieve it.  They have been fooled.

Once drug addicts realize this and transition to the right gameplan, the question of legalizing drugs becomes nonsensical and pointless.

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks for the 2 replies on that. I never smoked tobacco and was always curious why people did.

My first partner smoked before we lived together, stopped when with me and started again after I left. She claimed it stopped her gaining weight.

Stupid people smoke. 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

I give drug addicts credit for attempting to find and access the right mental state.  But they are selecting the wrong product and strategy to achieve it.  They have been fooled.

Once drug addicts realize this and transition to the right gameplan, the question of legalizing drugs becomes nonsensical and pointless.

I doubt a drug addict is open to anything beyond the next fix. I presume you are talking about those susceptible to the drug BS, but not yet addicted.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If they stop druggies committing crimes for their filthy habit they are worth it.

Just to confirm.  They arent given the heroin there. Only a safe place to inject it.  Crime wont be affected either way.  Its purely for the safety and avoidance of overdoses.