All you can eat/drink hotel buffet recommendations.

bamboozled

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

More to do with waste than afford.

Plenty of food for around 250bht that I really like, so why spend 2,000bht if I don't like it 10x more?

Only fools waste money IMHO.

+1…never been much of a buffet person though a few years ago we stayed at the Duang Tawan for a couple nights where there’s a large breakfast buffet with quite the variety,  being a protein meat/veggie eater I just ate eggs pig and whatever vegetables. Though nothing beats my wife's cooking, nothing. If she’s not cooking then I’m happy with a simple ฿40-฿100 meal kaiping or whatever at the local market which seems to be more superior than anything else and never disappointed and rarely go to western restaurants where I’m rarely impressed.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

17 hours ago, tkramer said:

Obesity is not an 'illness', it is a conscious choice.

Actually I think it is a 'Fad'...just like Tik Tok.

I was obese for many years, and started to see the mounting high body fat, the high visceral fat, higher resting heart rate, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, sleep disorders, numbness in my lower legs, and finally diabetes.

And then I made another conscious choice. One year later I lost 35% of my body weight, by starting vigorous exercise, eating WFPB...and all symptoms vanished. Been WFPB for 31 years (now age 75), and still spend 2 hours at the gym everyday. And love my fresh whole (not processed) food.

If your food has an ingredients label...it's 'processed'. Fresh Broccoli, Arugula, Cauliflower, Spinach, Celery, Carrots...etc...have no ingredients label.

Up to you...

Thanks, this is inspiring even though I’ve always been heavily good shape and conscientious about what I put in my face. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Shangri-la still has a Friday night buffet and buffet, also Kantary Grill. 

Some day, the concept of googling is going to rock your world.

First part of your post was nice and I will check those. I have heard they both do a nice spread, now that you mention it. Googling Chiang Mai buffet turns up little to nothing of value unless you like PITA or are searching for shabu. Plus, we don't only come here for info but to converse in the modern style.

6 hours ago, novacova said:

Thanks, this is inspiring even though I’ve always been heavily good shape and conscientious about what I put in my face. 

Yes...'you are what you eat'.

Or to put it another way...

'you can't be fat, if you don't eat fat'.

Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn of the Cleveland Clinic says...

'heart healthy is a body fat of no more than 11-12%'.

I personally strive to

maintain a constant 10%, and a BMI of 19.8...it's easier than you think.

Not my saying, but I have adopted it...

"your health is your greatest wealth".

(what fool would debate this statement?)

Edited by tkramer
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yet the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) acknowledges a range of 10-22 percent in men and 20-32 percent in women to reduce health risks associated with being underfat or overfat.

https://inbodyusa.com/blogs/inbodyblog/is-it-healthy-to-have-a-low-body-fat-percentage/#:~:text=Currently%2C there is no official,with being underfat or overfat.

But this has nothing to do with all you can eat all you can drink Buffet's in Chiang Mai...

Except for the fact that 'All you can eat' is probably one of the most unhealthy endeavors you can pursue...

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Problem: Buffet costs as much as a 5* restaurant (at least at lunch).

So you can either have a lot of pretty good food or less food that is exactly what you want, done to death. For 2K baht, you can do very well at Ministry Of Crab

https://media.weeloy.com/upload/restaurant/TH_BK_R_MinistryOfCrabBangkok/MENUMOCBangkok_1.pdf

If you've got $100 a head that needs spending fast in Chiang Mai, I recco Uchi Gastropub for high-concept sushi and wagyu. Compared to New York or Tokyo, it's value for the money (service is hilariously slow).

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

All you can eat dim sum at the Shangrila. We thought the value was def there, but a lot of the dim sum was samey. 

But that's sort of dim sum: you have your shrimp globule and you have your pork greasy thing. Also, no rolling carts, you order Ala carte and it takes its time coming out.

Wouldn't do it again (since I don't love dim sum), but for a belly-cram, def worth a try.

https://www.shangri-la.com/chiangmai/shangrila/dining/restaurants/china-kitchen/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/31/2023 at 7:00 AM, Expat68 said:

My father was a personal professional chef to a lord and lady for 36 years (all is working life) except for his army years spent in the cantering corp. He told me from an early age food is food wherever you go however you want to gloss it up

Ill chime in on this as ive been cooking 30+ yrs..culinary trained and did lots of catering gigs

I was also a Chef in CM so i got to exp my training vs thai as far as safe temps-hygiene etc

And this is why i will NEVER eat at buffets..anywhere...why???

they are buying the food in bulk....any oceans in CM for fresh seafood?  farm raised? you think they throw out $$$ seafood that doesnt sell???

dont forget youre touching the handles of the buffet line then touching hand help foods right into your mouth so think about who touched those tongs before you..ever seen them washed?

food temps!!!! cold foods cold and hot foods hot....again how long is it sitting out? recycled from yesterday ot you think they say oh this lobster isnt fresh lets toss it?....nope..SAUCE it....recycle

heavy foods go to front of the line and cheaper items..pasta etc...breads...$$$ at the end as you load up and usually slower to replace the $$$ items as you seem chinese clamor for shrimp..

buffer ends and then what??? wrapped up for tomorrow and put back out...trash = lost profits and i think we ALL know how thais feel about money and loss of it.....

add in my exps trying to train thais in CM and i gave up after 5 months of important issues such as safe temps..quality control...food handling....proper basic cooking skills and freshness detaisl

Just a few reasons why i dont eat buffets....or as i used to call it turning trash to cash.....no tnks

I also eat once a day....IF i ever went to one you feel like you need to get your moneys worth, and pig out.....is just gluttony....how much food does one need to eat, just go get a nice meal...

food deliveries usually come thursdays to prep for weekend crowds....top of the week is no time to eat seafood..and up north as well.....sushi esp.... as you should never eat raw fish here....burp

there used to be a popular seafood place in back of night bazaar i gasped at the amounts of fresh/? crab--shrimp  lobster etc up north/! and how i swore someone would get very sick and now its closed.....gone.....as i would bet money they NEVER threw old seafood away=$$$$$$

So even a fancy market I used to cook for here was shockingly inept at safe food practices....

Good luck Gents...pass for me as ive given you just a few truths what goes on in the kitchen...

lastly when i had a fly problem cooking live in the store, they just gave me a fly swatter!!! no worries folks as you see me cook and handle food in front of you as i splatter a few flies!!!!

keep also in mind free samples at the store..guess who else has touched that free food.....urp!

these are a few tips from places ive worked home and in CM..high prices $$$$ organic markets

and i did catering for bands.....big names but we cooked fresh and safely ---got to take home the leftovers..not recycle into tomorrows buffet....which can be a daily special on a monday too..

as someone posted about a buffet in CM and their weekly specials are clearly the leftover meat as its a place i go when i am hankering a nip of sangsom...or 2!

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1

22 hours ago, LaosLover said:

All you can eat dim sum at the Shangrila. We thought the value was def there, but a lot of the dim sum was samey. 

But that's sort of dim sum: you have your shrimp globule and you have your pork greasy thing. Also, no rolling carts, you order Ala carte and it takes its time coming out.

Wouldn't do it again (since I don't love dim sum), but for a belly-cram, def worth a try.

https://www.shangri-la.com/chiangmai/shangrila/dining/restaurants/china-kitchen/

just bought wholesale in bulk and reheated in the steamer....add in the gallon of soy for dippin!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/31/2023 at 4:25 PM, richard_smith237 said:

A) Get your moneys worth with getting as much down yer gullet as possible?

B) Enjoy being at a table with friends who are enjoying a wide range & variety of foods?

B seems like the logical choice and can be done anywhere..not even at a rest.....ie cm gate

On 8/29/2023 at 7:19 PM, Lacessit said:

Siripanna near Gymkhana Golf Club had a good buffet for 399 baht pre-Covid, alcohol purchased separately. Thai food, cake and ice-cream dessert.

The other one I recall is a German buffet, Auf Der Au off Lamphun Road. 299 baht, heavy on German sausages and pork.

cheap cheap cheap.... cheap food ain't good, good food ain't cheap

23 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

You can get unlimited B+ falafels at The Chabad Center near Khao San. 100 baht, many Israeli women traveling in pairs. 

But the cart lady in Pai is still #1. Hummus Chiang Mai -lets do it.

100 bt for ground up chickpeas--...can get a  grilled chicken breast--salad--fries and O ring for 60 bt or just grill the chix in my room for 20 and get a salad from local market for another 20 explains how i can stay here  6 months without working.....cash going to dentist tomorrow.. $$

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2023 at 7:19 PM, Lacessit said:

Siripanna near Gymkhana Golf Club had a good buffet for 399 baht pre-Covid, alcohol purchased separately. Thai food, cake and ice-cream dessert.

The other one I recall is a German buffet, Auf Der Au off Lamphun Road. 299 baht, heavy on German sausages and pork.

Siripanna has gone downhill in a big way. Auf der Au is fantastic.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 8:46 AM, elektrified said:

Siripanna has gone downhill in a big way. Auf der Au is fantastic.

Does Auf have any pork dish where the pork is very soft, as in steamed slowly for a long time ... like moo kata ?