I won't wear a helmet, makes me look stupid

scubascuba3

2 hours ago, novacova said:

Per capita, I see more farangs driving carelessly, with or without a helmet. Trying to squeeze a large motorcycle in jammed traffic, driving too fast squealing in traffic packing a holiday chick ext…and another freaky thing is they compete with other farangs so to be noticed and I’ve seen some pretty stupid stunts. So in any case just wear the freaking helmet because chances are whoever is reading this is most likely in the greater per capita population doing dumb stuff on roads that they didn’t grow up on and don’t have the same level of adaptation as if they did.

The farangs who try to drive like Thais are very dangerous. I would have crashed into one the other day if I had not anticipated and braked before he crossed 2 lanes right in front of me.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

The farangs who try to drive like Thais are very dangerous. I would have crashed into one the other day if I had not anticipated and braked before he crossed 2 lanes right in front of me.

Some farang try to imitate the Thais.

The other day I saw one riding a m/c without footwear. If he had crashed into a bus, he could have hurt his feet. Broke his toe even. Did have a crash helmet on though.

• Like 1

Immediately before retiring to Los I took a three day motorcycle course in America and got a MC endorsement on my driver's license.

My instructor stressed good helmets and helmet maintenance. I bought a $175 Bell helmet and brought it with me.

Came to Thailand, bought a Honda Click.

Rode it around Chaam for almost two years.

Had two very minor accidents with no real damage to myself or the bike.

Riding to Huahin one day I looked at the rode passing beneath me at 90kph. Observed the idiots on the road around me. Thought about the physics of two wheel vehicles.

Got home and sold the bike. Bought a large, heavy Chevy pickup.

Still alive today.

YMMV

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Wrong  ... they are an embarrassing F'g idiot ...

... IMHO

Including all the responsible bikers in Thailand? What a nice person. Some very odd views on this thread. Here’s my opinion then. All you lot knocking motorcyclists, you’re all fuddy-duddy boring boomers right with a staid life about as much fun as watching paint dry? Sorry, was I generalising? Pfft!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Keep Right said:

So very true scuba duba guy. But I would also add that any farang riding a motorbike in Thailand is " low IQ."

Gawd, here’s another one. They’ve all been allowed out today! Been riding, and driving, in Thailand for 25 years. Does that mean I only have a partially diminished IQ, or perhaps having the audacity to ride automatically consigns me to ‘dummy’ status? I used to cycle on the roads a lot, too, you know. Guess that makes me a double-thickie, eh!

Edited by daveAustin
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

.All you lot knocking motorcyclists, 

I've been riding scooters for 40+ yrs, and not knocking "them" at all.  Just the idiots that ride without helmets.   Which, TBH, I don't care one way or the other, if you wear one.  Prefer not to be lopped in with you stupidity, just because so many farang (per capita) seem to go without.

You want to risk your life, please, go right ahead ... ENJOY the afterlife.

What I do mind, is if you commit suicide on my car, then I'm charged with vehicular death, when it could have been easily prevented by using simple common sense.  Nobody should be charge is the dead person is helmetless.

Som naam na

Edited by KhunLA

My Thai neighbors were riding a motorcycle with a sidecar late one evening a few months back. They were hit by a drunk driver and both hit the tarmac quite hard (both without helmets). The wife spent a couple of days in the hospital whilst her husband were in a coma for 3 weeks. After almost a month at home without being able to work, he is now back at work and on his motorcycle without a helmet. I offered him a helmet, but he said helmets are so heavy, so he stick to his baseball cap. 

17 hours ago, Thailand said:

I can understand wearing a mask but is a helmet really that important?

YES,,  a mask (only) protects us from seeing your fugly mug

a quality helmet protects your skull from becoming rice pudding

ps,,  take a cheap plycarb helmet and drop it from 1meter..  watch it bounce ( think of your neck here)

as opposed to a carbonfiber or fiberglass

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... anyone not wearing a helmet... it doesn't make them look stupid, they just are stupid.

A couple of friends carry their own motorcycle helmets around, they don't have motorcycles, but they are smart enough to use a good helmet when they need to get somewhere on a bike (back & forth from work, football etc)... 

One of the things that has astonished me about Thai's throughout Covid is how they were all convinced to wear masks yet the numbers wearing helmets remained so outrageously low. 

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And so many still wear masks. Says a lot about them.

18 hours ago, bignok said:

Why do they need ads? Common sense. 

You where not born with Your common sense. How many campaigns through how many thousands of years to form your common sense? 

Local society's, tribe chiefs, shamans, religion, priests, kings, dictators, politicians, and "Fox News" ????????