Thai Airways To Increase Fuel Surcharge From Sunday

george

Thai Airways to increase fuel surcharge from Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (THAI) announced on Friday that it will apply new rates of higher fuel surcharge effective 15 July in line with global fuel prices.

Wallop Bhukkanasut, THAI Executive Vice President for Commercial Affairs said the new rate will be applied to all routes operated by the national flag carrier. This will reflect in tickets issued by local and international ticketing agencies worldwide.

The new rates for certain new routes will be, for example an extra 10 US dollar levy for the flights between Bangkok and Auckland, Bangkok and New York and Los Angeles.

--TNA 2007-07-14

I would have thought a discount would be in order as well. From today's Bkk post the story is citing a fall in world oil prices & coupled with a stronger baht that would suggest cheaper fuel for the airline.

Maybe they feel the need to hedge against some anylysts report of a general upward trend for the next twelve months..... or if that doesn't materialise, make a healthier bottom line for the company by fueling public hysteria about rising global fuel prices which might or might not occur...

Soundman.

Wonder if they're planning to levy this in respect of tickets already booked and paid for?

ten dollars is'nt the end of the world bur why the increase,the baht is sirong at the moment ,or do they know something we dont .........

I was also wondering if they would be after me for some more money on the tickets already paid for September trip.

Just as I was getting over my momentary, fleeting guilt over the size of my carbon feet (or is it foot ?)as well.

Edited by Cobalt60

Update:

THAI piles on more fuel surcharge

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International announced Saturday it will increase its fuel surcharge on some international flights by US$10, due in part to what it calls the rising cost of jet fuel worldwide.

Unfortunately, the announcement came on the same day that the country's top oil company PTT Plc announced across-the-board reductions on all gasoline, gasohol and diesel pump prices around the country.

Wallop Bhukkanasut, the airline's executive vice president for commercial affairs, said in a statement that the new rates would apply starting Sunday.

The surcharge on routes between Bangkok and Auckland, New Zealand, would rise to US$60 from US$50. On routes between Bangkok and New York and Los Angeles, it would increase to US$50 from US$40.

With oil prices as high as US$74 a barrel, airlines worldwide have been raising their fuel surcharges.

The Czech state-run airline CSA said Friday (July 13th) it increased its fuel surcharge for long- and short-haul flights by as much as US$23.

In May, Singapore Airlines announced a fuel surcharge increase for the second time this year.

The biggest surcharge hike was slapped on flights between Singapore and the United States and Canada, the airline said. The surcharge will rise to US$89 on a one-way flight, up from US$82.

The surcharge will also increase by US$2 on flights between Singapore and several Southeast Asian destinations, including Bangkok and Jakarta.

-- Bangkok Post 2007-07-14

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=120170

I would have thought that with the strength of the Baht that the fuel surcharge should be lowered. I note in todays Press that PTT are lowering their fuel prices by 40-70 satang so what is TG up to ??

Fair point, except that logically, they buy half of their fuel overseas in other currencies, often dollars, to fly the return-trips inbound to Thailand, and also leaving aside the effects of 'tankering'.

Wonder how bad things would have to get - for Thai to start charging MPs & Senators for their (currently) free flights ? Or making them subject-to-load, and bumping them, in favour of passengers who actually have paid for their tickets ?

Time for an axe-swinging accountant to take a close look at the whole company IMHO. :o

I would have thought that with the strength of the Baht that the fuel surcharge should be lowered. I note in todays Press that PTT are lowering their fuel prices by 40-70 satang so what is TG up to ??

Fair point, except that logically, they buy half of their fuel overseas in other currencies, often dollars, to fly the return-trips inbound to Thailand, and also leaving aside the effects of 'tankering'.

Wonder how bad things would have to get - for Thai to start charging MPs & Senators for their (currently) free flights ? Or making them subject-to-load, and bumping them, in favour of passengers who actually have paid for their tickets ?

Time for an axe-swinging accountant to take a close look at the whole company IMHO. :o

I believe all politicians should be paying for their flights. It's worse in Oz, where those no longer in Gov't still get it.