Forum upgrade in progress! ×

3 examples of bad parenting in Thailand. Do you have any other?

advancebooking

On 9/8/2023 at 10:27 PM, DudleySquat said:
On 9/8/2023 at 9:42 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Maybe look at the parenting in your own country, is that much better or did you find a way to start Thai bashing?

It took a while. The old tried, and true chestnut.  "THAI BASHING!"

But Frits was 100% correct...as you so correctly said, "tried and true".

On 9/9/2023 at 12:28 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

There are many reasons why I don't have kids and I am not a parent.

One reason is that if I would be a parent, I would like to be a good parent. Unfortunately, that is very difficult. So many things to do wrong, so many things which are impossible to get right.

And what is right? What grandmother suggests? Or the newest book from that famous bestseller author? It's impossible to get it right. I am sure many parents try their best. 

The easiest way is obviously not having kids and seeing all those mistakes from the others. ???? 

None of us are perfect parents. If you ever decide to have a family (it might be very important to your partner - biological clock and all that) simply be the best father that you can. Just like you try to be the best man, partner, friend that you can. 

And, having a great mother can make up for having a 'less than excellent' father, as both myself and my children can confirm.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2023 at 9:42 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Maybe look at the parenting in your own country, is that much better or did you find a way to start Thai bashing?

Parenting is good and bad in every country. Look at the results in what's going on n the world. The US where I'm from has it's share of idiots that call themselves parents, and cell phone over use is everywhere. It's addictive, especially to kids. Thailand does lead the world in one thing. More children raised by grandparents than any other country. Over 35% now, and a lot of those grannies are illiterate so can't teach much if anything at all, and will let the children run rampant when they get to be 8 years old, letting them on scooters ,most without helmets.

On 9/8/2023 at 9:13 PM, pgrahmm said:

It's the only forum I'm involved in & it's taken 14 years.... Yeah, some time wasted as initially I got involved with some of the word games that account for half the total and certainly = wasted time....

I dropped participating in that when I noticed how the "posts" count accumulated....

I tend to ebb & flow posting....

But = point taken....

But the point should be that this forum is (or should be) learning, and sharing our own knowledge with others. (or should be). So so often no knowledge is shared by posters with an inordinate amount of posts. Oh oh, let me check on some of my posts.????

And I so often think about asking some of these kids who are concentrated on their phones, (and older kids too), "What are you learning", while I know very well that they are learning nothing. Most are just obviously playing electronic games (that does very little to the body and mind).

I spend a lot of time discussing with my son, and many times using questions.

-"Tell me something that you know very well, and that you do not like?". And when you say that you do not like something, would you think that it be more appropriate to say "Oh, I do not know that"?

-"Do you think that you possess 'free will'?"

- Do you think that 'freedom' is something to strive for?". And if so, don't you think that dependencies and addictions limit your freedom?

- Describe the difference between addictions, and habits that you have not because you are addicted, but simply because you like them?

My apologies to all those Thai people who actually conduct such teachings to their children, while I am so tempted to believe that it is nowhere to be found here...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2023 at 12:28 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

There are many reasons why I don't have kids and I am not a parent.

One reason is that if I would be a parent, I would like to be a good parent. Unfortunately, that is very difficult. So many things to do wrong, so many things which are impossible to get right.

And what is right? What grandmother suggests? Or the newest book from that famous bestseller author? It's impossible to get it right. I am sure many parents try their best. 

The easiest way is obviously not having kids and seeing all those mistakes from the others. ???? 

"There are many reasons why I don't have kids and I am not a parent."

You missed the best opportunity to learn something worthwhile in this world, "to accompany a child or children through their developmental years'.

And you should not boast about not having had the courage to do so....

• Confused 1

On 9/8/2023 at 9:21 PM, rattlesnake said:

The most prominent example of bad parenting is not being bothered to take care of your kids and dumping them with the grandparents. Officially to go work and earn money… but when said money is spent on a top of the range car one can't afford… enough said. My parents always drove cheap cars, but they were with me every day.

Cheap cars dont look good in the driveway.

Had exactly the same next door.  Husband and wife move to Sri Racha to work in the factories, kids home with the grandparents.  Years go by to find husband and wife split up, problem kids dispersed here and there, police knocking on doors and all for a now sad looking Isuzu pick-up with all the fruit still sitting in the driveway that I doubt has done 20,000 km.

• Like 1