Stray dog sanctuary’s ‘leash’ of hope in jeopardy as land lease nears end

snoop1130

IMG_6394.jpg

In an unexpected turn of events, Hope for Strays Foundation, a registered non-profit organisation, is facing a critical situation. Located in Nongprue, to the east of Pattaya, the Foundation is a sanctuary for over 300 dogs. However, the impending end of the land lease in March of next year has put the existence of the shelter in jeopardy. A new home is urgently needed for these dogs, and the current shelter must be dismantled.

For nearly 15 years, Hope for Strays has been a beacon of hope for abandoned, abused, and neglected dogs in Thailand. Over the past seven years, the shelter has been their refuge, offering them love, care, and a second chance at life. Thousands of vaccinations have been administered here, over 400 dogs have been sterilised, and countless sick or injured dogs have received veterinary treatment. The shelter even provides twice-daily meals for many street dogs. The thought of these dogs facing an uncertain future due to the lack of a shelter is heart-wrenching.

The foundation spokesperson said it is heartbreaking to think of the uncertain future these dogs face if we cannot secure a new shelter for them.

“We are in desperate need of financial assistance to construct a new shelter that can accommodate these beloved dogs and ensure their safety and happiness.”

Funds are now urgently needed for multiple purposes. The first step is the acquisition of suitable land. The only viable option currently is some farmland in north-central Thailand. Although the land has been paid for, it lacks the necessary services required to operate the shelter. The area also sees fewer tourists, who contribute significantly to the Foundation’s income in Pattaya.

By Top

Caption: Picture courtesy of Hope For Strays Foundation

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/pattayas-hope-for-strays-faces-closure-urgently-seeks-new-home-for-dogs

-- The Thaiger 2023-09-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Love It 2

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Just set them  free in town, Pratumnak or Jomtien Beach perhaps. 

Set them free at Crocodile farm , why Prantumak we got enough people here feeding them every 5 minutes, the Jai dee mak mak crowd of farang and Thais , just breeding more and more , young pups all over , what spay program, ridiculous 

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Irish star said:

Set them free at Crocodile farm , why Prantumak we got enough people here feeding them every 5 minutes, the Jai dee mak mak crowd of farang and Thais , just breeding more and more , young pups all over , what spay program, ridiculous 

Just  baiting, I know there is a dog issue at Pratumnak, but if the place is full of kindred souls who will feed them and show them affection, well a good place for them to live then!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 9/13/2023 at 4:50 PM, Wongkitlo said:

It is tradition to just dump them at the local temple. 

The temples have made it abundantly clear that THEY DO NOT WANT TO TAKE CARE OF STRAY DOGS. Every temple has signs in both Thai and English to this effect. Temples are not equipped to handle stray dogs, and they have their own affairs to tend to. The days when temples took in stray animals are over. Please stop perpetuating this false narrative. Someplace must be found for the dogs, but it is definitely not the local temple. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

It was not a serious suggestion. Regardless people dump unwanted pets at the temples so calling it a false narrative is untrue. Our local temple  has many stray dogs. There are no signs deterring people from doing it.

Well then those are some lucky dogs. Maybe the temples where you live are more compassionate, but in Chiang Mai I rarely see the temple dogs, unlike years past when there were many of them. Also, not all, but a large number of temples do have the signs prominently displayed saying "DON'T BRING YOUR UNWANTED PETS TO US."

On 9/12/2023 at 2:24 PM, Irish star said:

+1. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

You are in Chiang Mai. How do you know about pattaya temples? Thailand has speed limit signs everywhere but locals still drive at double the speed. Who cares about signs in Thailand? They just all do what they want

What have speed limit signs got to do with stray dogs..... they can't drive and use bicycles?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 9:45 PM, acepredator said:

The temples have made it abundantly clear that THEY DO NOT WANT TO TAKE CARE OF STRAY DOGS. Every temple has signs in both Thai and English to this effect. Temples are not equipped to handle stray dogs, and they have their own affairs to tend to. The days when temples took in stray animals are over. Please stop perpetuating this false narrative. Someplace must be found for the dogs, but it is definitely not the local temple. 

Please stop spreading false narratives,   not every Temple has a sign outside in Thai and English telling people not to dump animals at their Temple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 9:47 PM, acepredator said:

Why don't we put you, along with all other animal haters, in the landfill instead. The world would be a slightly kinder place if you were no longer living in it. 

Why don't you take them all in if you care so much .....   no'  I didn't think so    !     just talk.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Why don't you take them all in if you care so much .....   no'  I didn't think so    !     just talk.

I live in a small condo, so it would not be feasible for me to take in even one dog, let alone all of them. Over the last few years, however, I have donated money to an animal shelter in Chon Buri called the House of Angels for Stray Animals. This facility provides food and shelter to about 1,900 dogs and 500 to 600 cats. When they have needed money to keep going, I have helped them as much as I could. I also help support Adopt Meow Chiang Mai, a facility that finds homes for homeless cats, especially kittens. What charitable causes, that help either animals or humans, have you supported? It seems abundantly clear that you are the one who is "just talk."

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Please stop spreading false narratives,   not every Temple has a sign outside in Thai and English telling people not to dump animals at their Temple.

This is certainly true. Many of the temples here in Chiang Mai, however, do have such signs. In any event, the people visiting the temples on a regular basis know the mindset of the monks. They communicate with each other continuously. Buddhism is not like Christianity, where church leaders pontificate from the pulpit and have no interaction with the so-called "faithful" at all. The monks have made it clear that they are not equipped to care for stray animals and cannot take them in. The devotees of the temple understand and respect this edict. No signs are necessary.

On 9/16/2023 at 10:23 AM, Wongkitlo said:

You are in Chiang Mai. How do you know about pattaya temples? Thailand has speed limit signs everywhere but locals still drive at double the speed. Who cares about signs in Thailand? They just all do what they want

I agree that most people in Thailand, and presumably everywhere else in the world, ignore what signs tell them to do. This is because it is human nature to resist authority. As I said in another post, however, the devotees of the various temples interact continuously with the monks who stay at the temples. These monks have made it clear that they cannot care for unwanted animals. The people who visit the temples understand and respect this sentiment, so that they do not bring animals to the temple. That is why, at least in Chiang Mai, you virtually never see stray dogs roaming around temples anymore. I assume it is generally the same in Pattaya, where it seems likely that the monks lack both the time and the resources to care for animals looking for a place to stay. 

8 hours ago, quake said:

You do gooders are all the same over the world.

All about yourself deep down.

Hope you have a fatal RTA on the way home, involving a pack of soi dogs. :thumbsup:

It has nothing to do with being a "do-gooder," and it is not about me. Instead, it's about the belief that animals have just as much right to exist in this world as you and I. Humans do not own the planet Earth, and animals are not our slaves to do with as we please. Unfortunately, the sad reality is that nearly 100 billion animals are brutally murdered each year to provide meat for human consumption, even though the scientific evidence is indisputable that a plant based diet is far healthier than a meat based one. If you dismiss people who show compassion towards animals as "do-gooders," then you have what the Thais refer to as a "black heart." Perhaps there is still time for you to have a change of heart and understand that animals matter just as much as you do.

Also, during the last 17 years of riding a motorbike through the perilous streets of Chiang Mai (always wearing a helmet), I have not yet experienced a fatal RTA, involving soi dogs or anything else. I really hate to disappoint you, but I intend to keep my lucky streak going for at least the next several years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1