Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Gay Civil Partnership

Keninbkk

36 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

As far as I'm aware, there's no such thing (yet) in Thailand.

PTP promised action on gay marriage during the election campaign (as did MFP) but don't hold your breath ...

Back to making the citiztry promises and then reneging on them.

"Oh, yes yes yes, gay civil union legislation.  Sure, we do that soon.  We begin in maybe  the next few years, but we promise.  Just wait a little bit!!!  Patience.  Raa nitnoi!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

Just pass the legislation for crying out loud.  Thai society is ripe for that change as are the gay segment of this society and most Thais in general.  Most of Thailand is not hampered by the mores and dogmatic ethics of Abrahamic religions.  It's a Buddhist nation and I doubt Buddha would have cared who entered into civil unions.

My b/f & I were 'married' in a village (Buddhist) ceremony here in Surin in 2013. The village elders did the job. "Marriage is for 2 people who love each other." All fine by family & friends, but of course unofficial ...

• Like 1

It was on the Senate schedule for a vote just before Covid. Expect to see it back shortly.

I think they were going for full marriage. First in SE Asia.

Not sure about foreigners. It might be OK to ratify foreign documents. At least it could show legal intent for wills, end of life and property rights.

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

My b/f & I were 'married' in a village (Buddhist) ceremony here in Surin in 2013. The village elders did the job. "Marriage is for 2 people who love each other." All fine by family & friends, but of course unofficial ...

Village elders will officiate anything you wish if you pay them. It’s not worth anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, AustinRacing said:

Village elders will officiate anything you wish if you pay them. It’s not worth anything. 

(1) They were'nt paid (2) Whether it's 'worth anything' depends on your value system. If 'marriage' and especially a wedding is about recognition and acceptance by family and friends, then we were amply rewarded both here and in Oz. As to the Thai bureaucracy, the attitude of the peasants here is one of contempt: "They've never done anything for us. We don't care about them."

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Keninbkk said:

Does anyone know how to go about registering as "civil partners" in Bangkok.  We are both foreigners ( non-Thais).

You can't and it probably isn't a priority of the new government to change that. If Pita had become PM, you would have reason to be optimistic, but as things are, better don't get your hopes up.

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

(1) They were'nt paid (2) Whether it's 'worth anything' depends on your value system. If 'marriage' and especially a wedding is about recognition and acceptance by family and friends, then we were amply rewarded both here and in Oz. As to the Thai bureaucracy, the attitude of the peasants here is one of contempt: "They've never done anything for us. We don't care about them."

Good for you. Was just responding to your “registering” thing. Don’t confuse acceptance by family with lawful recognition. You won’t win sympathy by labeling Thais peasants. If that’s what you think of them better get back to where you came from is what they’ll say you, the peasants that is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fairynuff said:
10 hours ago, impulse said:

For what purpose?

Because they want to.

I think that's implicit when the OP asks where to do it. 

But the answer (and whether they even need to do it) depends on what he/she's trying to accomplish.  If it's for banking, there may be a very different answer than if it's for a dependent visa and that may be different than if they want to buy a condo together, or have the spouse covered under employer provided health care.

47 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

You won’t win sympathy by labeling Thais peasants. If that’s what you think of them better get back to where you came from is what they’ll say you, the peasants that is. 

You may - like most people under the age of about 60 - use the word 'peasant' as a term of abuse. I do not.

OED: "A poor smallholder or agricultural labourer of low social status ... chiefly with reference to subsistence farming in poorer countries." Which exactly describes my large and very poor Khmer family here in south Surin.

Edited by mfd101

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I think that's implicit when the OP asks where to do it. 

But the answer (and whether they even need to do it) depends on what he/she's trying to accomplish.  If it's for banking, there may be a very different answer than if it's for a dependent visa and that may be different than if they want to buy a condo together, or have the spouse covered under employer provided health care.

Their reason for wanting to do it remains irrelevant. The answer is simply they want to do it. Had they wanted to explain WHY they wanted to they would have done so.

The fact is a legal ceremony isn’t possible yet.

Edited by Fairynuff

It is not legal yet. But a Buddhist marriage can be arranged. A Buddhist marriage is not a legal marriage civil or partnership.

They talk for years to make it legal and is night be done this year. Pita promised it but a coalition moved him out from the PM possibility after the last election.