Australia 15-22 Fiji: Flying Fijians beat the Wallabies for the first time at Rugby World Cup

Social Media

image.png

Fiji beat Australia for just the third time in their history as they blew Pool C wide open with a thrilling win at the Rugby World Cup.

Fine kicking from Simione Kuruvoli put Fiji 12-8 up at half-time before Josua Tuisova crossed after the restart.

Lalakai Foketi went over late on to cut the deficit to 22-15 but Eddie Jones' side could not mount a comeback.

Fiji's first-ever World Cup win over the Wallabies moves them above their opponents into second in Pool C.

The pair are locked together on six points after two matches with Fiji ahead thanks to their head-to-head record.

"I'm emotionally drained at the moment," said Fiji head coach Simon Raiwalui after full-time.

"It was a great contest. It kept us guessing until the end. We pushed the boys to the limits and they've never once complained.

"I think there will be a few boys sore but I'm super proud."

With just the top two advancing to the quarter-finals, Fiji's match in Saint-Etienne was crucial.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Thumbs Up 1

The Fijians changed the ball/ used the same ball throughout; had the sun at their backs/ didn't have the sun at their backs;  (add to list of excuses as necessary), otherwise the Aussies would have won by 20 points.

Edited by RayC
Addition