MRT "Elder" stored value card. Am I getting a discounted fare?

impulse

Last month when I came to Bangkok, I had forgotten my MRT stored value card so I bought a new one.  My passport shows me now to be over 65 and they gave me an orange "Elder" card.  This visit, I have both my old card and my new Elder card. 

If I'm getting a discounted fare using my old fart card, that's the one I'll top up when it runs low.  If not, then it really doesn't matter.

Any insights?

Edited by impulse

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Thanks!  That's the one I will top up, then. 

You can also cash-in your old card if it has a balance of over (IIRC) 100 Baht ???? 

Sadly, although the BTS do have an elder card, it's only available to Thais ???? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

You can also cash-in your old card if it has a balance of over (IIRC) 100 Baht ???? 

Sadly, although the BTS do have an elder card, it's only available to Thais ???? 

cashing in an unused balance is dependent on how long since the card was last used as there is a set time limit for doing so. The same time limit applies to any balance on your card if it  hasn't been used, you lose that balance.

51 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

cashing in an unused balance is dependent on how long since the card was last used as there is a set time limit for doing so. The same time limit applies to any balance on your card if it  hasn't been used, you lose that balance.

Same as phone credit. They have the legal right to steal your money.

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes. I wonder how they justify that, except on the grounds of racism. I wrote to them and asked, and you can guess the response I (didn't) get.

Yes, I have been using MRT elder card for years and it is 50% off . I originally got one from BTS and I topped up with 500 Baht. Went through the gate and security took away my card. No refund!

It'll be interesting to see if the new government get their "Flat rate of 20 Baht" through. Will this be for Thais only? 

Will there be dual pricing and foreigners charged 4 , 5 or 10 times the Thai rate as in National Parks?

• Thumbs Up 1