Dengue Fever in Thailand 2023, and some tips to avoid bites

snoop1130

fst_blog_prevent-and-treat-mosquito-bites-1024x536-1.jpg

With the number of dengue cases in Thailand this year projected to break records, health experts say a whole-of-society approach is what’s needed to help control the surge.

Piecemeal strategies such as fogging or mosquitoes with Wolbachia are not enough to stem an outbreak.

Already this year, there have been 59 deaths due to dengue logged since January 1 to September 9, compared with 56 deaths for the whole of last year. During the same period, there were 82,485 cases, compared with the 66,102 cases in 2022. In some areas the number of cases has increase three-fold, along with the death rate.

By Peter Roche

Caption: Dengue fever in Thailand, tips to avoid bites

Full story: Phuket GO 2023-09-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

This is a recurring issue that now has expanded across the  world. In Thailand at this time of the rain season it becomes an urgent issue because the  mosquito responsible for carrying it  enjoys nice fresh water to produce offspring very rapidly. That plastic  bag under a bush, an discarded  plastic container etc etc that can contain water for a bout 2 days is an incubation site !

That sneaky rapid skinny  mosquito is your potentially mortal enemy. Dengue mozzie.

The big  fat  slow  one  that provide satisfaction  is squishing and blood staining  your skin or sleeve? Potential  malaria , not dengue.  Wise up peoples !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RanongCat said:

This is a recurring issue that now has expanded across the  world. In Thailand at this time of the rain season it becomes an urgent issue because the  mosquito responsible for carrying it  enjoys nice fresh water to produce offspring very rapidly. That plastic  bag under a bush, an discarded  plastic container etc etc that can contain water for a bout 2 days is an incubation site !

That sneaky rapid skinny  mosquito is your potentially mortal enemy. Dengue mozzie.

The big  fat  slow  one  that provide satisfaction  is squishing and blood staining  your skin or sleeve? Potential  malaria , not dengue.  Wise up peoples !

Most Thais do not know that mosquitoes grow in still water. They love leaving around water containers(and rubbish as you mentioned).  

8 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Yes, all to close to home as a 12 year old girl tragically died last week in the next village to mine after suffering multiple bites.

Was in ICU for 4/5 days but they couldn't save her. RiP sweet angel ????????????

Is sad. Hopefully they will learn to not leave water around. We alwaus had lots of mosquitoes and our neighbour always kept water lying around till her daughter had dengue. Hard ways to learn lessons. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not mentioned in this article but in other articles I've seen this year, almost all the deaths that occurred were after the person took aspirins or other anti-fever medicine. And the articles make the link.

When I went to hospital last year at the end of a dengue infection, one of the first things the doctor asked was whether I had taken aspirin or not. When I replied that I only took paracetamols, she was rather pleased.

Here is an example article:

"Health officials urge anyone who suspects that they are infected to seek medical treatment and avoid taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen."

This desire to stop the fever is not only found among Thais, but they do have this urge more strongly than many Westerners. The fever for any infection is your body's attempt to fight the infection.

Stopping the fever is like shooting yourself in the foot. The exception to this is if the fever becomes completely out of control (roughly 42°C in adults).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RanongCat said:

True other than that last bit - the only places where malarial mosquitoes live is deep forest, no worries for anyone in any city, town or district where there's no protected areas.

Just wanted to note that the best prevention for dengue fever is also the simplest - don't get bit. How can you do this though?

First, removing areas where mozzies breed or fogging is utterly useless, especially in a wet season as moist as this one. They're going to find an infinite number of places to breed.

My advice based on 30+ years of residence and 0 times contracting dengue is quite simple - wear socks, long pants and long-sleeved shirts in the late afternoon and early evening. If you really can't stand the heat (and loose-fitting clothes aren't hot), then at least wear the socks. The ankles are where these little bastards love to bite and they WILL get you if you've no socks on.

7 minutes ago, jcmj said:

Thank goodness the mosquitoes don’t like me

I have certainly noticed that the mosquitos like me. If there is a group of 10 of us, only I will get bitten. As soon as I walk 10 or so metres from the group, the others start to get bitten and want to go home.

3 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

I have certainly noticed that the mosquitos like me. If there is a group of 10 of us, only I will get bitten. As soon as I walk 10 or so metres from the group, the others start to get bitten and want to go home.

Are you still using........................????.................................????

PUB. Fabergé. Kevin Keegan.