Immigration coming to home to confirm I live here.

19 hours ago, Boatman37210 said:

I retired to Thailand 12 years ago on a retirement visa.  Never had a visit to my home by immigration during that time.  We just got a call from immigration saying they will visit on Thursday to confirm that I live at my reported address.  

I married a Thai lady 12 years ago and live in a house and on land that she owns.  She has gone with me for each extension of stay over the years.

Since I retired my income has almost tripled.  Maybe they are suspicious of that. 

Also, since the doing away of the income letter I have opted do income rather than money in bank.  The last two extensions I got angry because they did not know what they were doing and it was obvious.  Before you just handed them an income letter.  Now you have to confirm your income and reconcile your disbursing bank in the U.S. to your receiving bank in Thailand. They do not know how to do that.  Maybe this is their way of getting back for my anger the last two visits.

Anyone on retirement visa ever have immigration visit their home afte such a long period of time?

Thanks in advance.

In this case, fortunate that different immigration offices vary in their demands. While I use the monthly income method, the Bangkok Bank record of monthly deposits from abroad (FTT) is accepted by Chiang Mai Immigration.

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Mine was just after the Erewan bombing and Immigration realised that that they had no idea where their Farangs really were.

Well I guess I have been wasting my time with TM30's and TM47's if they don't know where I am

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Being asked for a 12 month statement provides them with evidence of money going in and out.

Assuming the bank book does not contain consolidated entries, what is it about a 12-month statement that shows "evidence of money going in and out" that the book does not show?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Assuming the bank book does not contain consolidated entries, what is it about a 12-month statement that shows "evidence of money going in and out" that the book does not show?

I agree, and intend to ask my local immigration office that question before I apply for my next extension. My book shows transactions every month. I think it was the year before last when I applied that a couple of lines were overprinted. The IO went to a senior officer who glanced at the book and ok'd it. My account is Bangkok Bank, so if there is now a requirement for a statement I will find out a week before I apply.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I agree, and intend to ask my local immigration office that question before I apply for my next extension. My book shows transactions every month. I think it was the year before last when I applied that a couple of lines were overprinted. The IO went to a senior officer who glanced at the book and ok'd it. My account is Bangkok Bank, so if there is now a requirement for a statement I will find out a week before I apply.

It may take more than a week to get the statements from BKK.

best ask way before you start.

46 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I would have thought that you would be aware that Immigration often look to see money going in and out. It is not sufficient to stick 800k in a bank account and think that is it. The smarter IOs will look for evidence if how you support yourself. 

We went through a period of paranoia for a while when they were obsessed with Farangs working on retirement extensions.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I would have thought that you would be aware that Immigration often look to see money going in and out. It is not sufficient to stick 800k in a bank account and think that is it. The smarter IOs will look for evidence if how you support yourself. 

We went through a period of paranoia for a while when they were obsessed with Farangs working on retirement extensions.

Assuming there are no consolidated entries, bank passbook entries and bank statements have the same information.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 9:47 AM, Boatman37210 said:

Anyone on retirement visa ever have immigration visit their home afte such a long period of time?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. However, mine was not advanced advertised, two officers just showed up for check and wanted a photo of me, holding my passport with the name page opened, standing under my house number together with one of the officers.

The worst part was, that it was early and I was totally unprepared, so with a towel around my waist and with morning hair – hope the don't share the photo on social media...????

• Haha 2

Never got a visit when on retirement status, but also had the habit of renewing in Laos.

Since marrying my dear the annual visit is sort of a social event. The Samut Prakan IOS are always polite and business like. Cost us two bottles of cold water.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:47 AM, Boatman37210 said:

I retired to Thailand 12 years ago on a retirement visa.  Never had a visit to my home by immigration during that time.  We just got a call from immigration saying they will visit on Thursday to confirm that I live at my reported address.  

I married a Thai lady 12 years ago and live in a house and on land that she owns.  She has gone with me for each extension of stay over the years.

Since I retired my income has almost tripled.  Maybe they are suspicious of that. 

Also, since the doing away of the income letter I have opted do income rather than money in bank.  The last two extensions I got angry because they did not know what they were doing and it was obvious.  Before you just handed them an income letter.  Now you have to confirm your income and reconcile your disbursing bank in the U.S. to your receiving bank in Thailand. They do not know how to do that.  Maybe this is their way of getting back for my anger the last two visits.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I had two officers visit my home in SURIN Province some 8 years ago. We had to call the village headman to confirm my good behavior etc.,

They stopped procrastinating when I produced photos of my house during it being built. I have no idea why this whole procedure was necessary as I had been renewing my Retirement Visa annually for the previous 7 years. They left happy with some T bags. I discovered later that both officers were visitors from BKK. They were thirsty!

On 9/19/2023 at 3:17 PM, TaoNow said:

OP: The following statement confused me a bit:

Based on reports by others doing retirement extensions, Immo looks for evidence that funds in excess of 65K baht (equivalent) was depposited into your Thai bank account from overseas each month for the past 12 months. 

They simply verify this by looking at your bankbook, which should have the code for foreign cash transfer for each amount.

I haven't seen anything about reconciling with the bank in the US. 

Frankly, Immo doesn't care where the funds come from -- just as long as you have 12 consecutive transfers into your account from outside Thailand.

So, what was the confusion at the office you went to. And it would help to know which province you did your extension at.

Thanks.

Samut Songkhram.

Wife went to their office.  She said they stated they would start visiting every year.  She asks why.  Response was some foreigners lie about where they live.  Basically, calling me a liar.  

On my 10th extension, I was in and out in 10 minutes.  There were two people in the office.  They looked at my record online.  Saw that I had no lates on 90 day and no lates on annual extensions in 10 years.  Briefly looked at the paperwork I submitted.  Approved and out the door in 10 minutes.  That is the only time that it happened like that.  

As far as income verification, this office wants a copy of my U.S. bank transactions for the year.  They want to see the source of the money going into my U.S. bank.  Then they want to see the Wise transactions transferring the money to Thailand matched up to the deposits in my Thai bank.  Also want an updated bank book and a bank letter of certification.   They also want either 1099's or a certification of income for each income source.  This is what I have been doing since the income letter was done away with.  As you said, Thai bank statement should suffice.  Seems like they want to make it as hard as they can.

The employees are fine with money in bank.  When it comes to income, they have not received sufficient training.  

Now I have to do four 90-day reporting's, annual extension, and a home visit every year.  

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

How? If they see the need to visit, it´s a part of their job. I would never pay for that. Do you pay the postman gasoline money as well? 

It´s just worried and insecure foreigners that start talk about such rubbish. ????

"'Have your 2000 baht ready,' 

'When they requested money for gasoline and food the wife had taken a brown note out before I could do anything. When she went in for more they said 1,000B was enough. Probably depends where you are.'"

Do they teach reading in your part of the world, Gottfrid?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

Assuming there are no consolidated entries, bank passbook entries and bank statements have the same information.

Not so Tim.

Dependent on the bank, passbook entries do not necessarily confirm transfers were from overseas.
All overseas transfers go through the HQ before being forwarded to your branch.
Only the HQ have a SWIFT code, branches are identified by the account number.

As an example, an overseas transfer to Bangkok bank will be coded as FTT in a passbook (Foreign Telex Transfer), whereas an overseas transfer to Kasikorn bank will be coded as a 'local' or 'domestic' transfer. Bangkok bank is the only bank that notify the branch where the funds originated.
However, a statement from the HQ office of either bank will code the transfer as 'International'.

The other issue with passbooks is if you don't regularly update and use the ATM's, which cannot automatically flip the page, it will update restricting entries to fit the page. The answer to this is to update at the counter.
From Immigrations point of view, trying to identify the odd overseas credits amongst long lines of withdrawals in-between can be tedious, whereas a statement is separated into columns of debit, credit and balance making it far more obvious, as they only need to verify a single column of entries.

Local branches, as with internet banking, can only print a 6-month statement, hence for Immigration purposes a 12-month statement has to be ordered from HQ. The exception being if your account is at the HQ branch.

Edited by Liquorice

50 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

"'Have your 2000 baht ready,' 

'When they requested money for gasoline and food the wife had taken a brown note out before I could do anything. When she went in for more they said 1,000B was enough. Probably depends where you are.'"

Do they teach reading in your part of the world, Gottfrid?

Does it matter if I read, have 2000 baht ready? Just because some insecure foreigner on this forum feels the need to pay for something that is free? Really?

Maybe we should ask where your connection with reality is instead.

And yes, I am a good reader. That does not mean I pay people that are already paid to do their G.D. work.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Does it matter if I read, have 2000 baht ready? Just because some insecure foreigner on this forum feels the need to pay for something that is free? Really?

If an Immigration officer request funds to cover his expenses for a home visit, it's a scam.
Even if they use a private vehicle, their expenses are covered by Immigration.

The cost of meals is not included in their contracts, nor should it be covered by foreigners.
If you want to be courteous, offer them a coffee and biscuits, as you may any other visitors.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2023 at 5:29 PM, foreverlomsak said:

And if your lucky you will be given seven (7) days to leave the country, seen the threat issued to an Aussie in front of me, who wouldn't listen to what they were saying and kept telling them what they will do. He shut up quickly enough, basically he was saying they must give him an extension even though he had no proof of income or money in a Thai bank.

This has little to do with shouting. He wasn't eligible for an extension, therefore he had to leave. Maybe he was lucky they gave him 7-days and didn't lock him up.

5 minutes ago, JensenX said:

This has little to do with shouting. He wasn't eligible for an extension, therefore he had to leave. Maybe he was lucky they gave him 7-days and didn't lock him up.

It's standard practice, when refusing a 1-year extension application, to give a 7-day extension to allow you to pack up and put any affairs in order before you leave the Country.

Edited by Liquorice

57 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

It's standard practice, when refusing a 1-year extension application, to give a 7-day extension to allow you to pack up and put any affairs in order before you leave the Country.

I know it's standard practice but that's not long to put your affairs in order is it? In most European countries it's much longer and with an appeals process can be dragged on for several months. Another example imho of Thailand not really liking foreigners at all, except for their money.