Immigration coming to home to confirm I live here.

On 9/19/2023 at 9:05 PM, DrJack54 said:

Not as bad as for marriage extension "sitting on bed" 

When the home visit was done they wanted my witness the wife of a friend of mine to sit with us on the bed, I told them no way, 'my friend big man'. They went outside and the creepy thing was he took the photo Through the WINDOW !

I dread to think were they keep those photos.

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2023 at 12:29 PM, hotandsticky said:

It is not sufficient to stick 800k in a bank account and think that is it. The smarter IOs will look for evidence if how you support yourself. 

Well I do just above the 800k they asked me once ''how much pension you get'' I told them I'm not telling you that, it was not their business to ask that, end of.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Is your extension under consideration? at what IO.

I got my extension.  They only had a problem with one document.  My SS I usually give them a copy of the 1099.  This year I had difficulty in finding it, so gave them a letter from SS stating what my monthly amount would be for the new year.  It matched what was on my bank statement.  She seemed to be irritated and ask for the same I gave last year.  She said it was very important.  She was going to give me the extension anyway and let me bring later.  I thought I would try to find it one more time and did find it on my phone.  She was happy, but the damage had already been done.   

Samut Songkhram is the office.   Always been a pleasant office.  The previous manager retired.  She always treated us well.  New manager this year maybe will to.  Just need to give her a chance.   The thing that got me upset was the home visit.  Never had one before except when I first came to Thailand.  Plus, basically saying some foreigners seemed to lie and scam.  I felt that statement was directed at me and I did not take it well.

Cannot get over the number of responses this subject has gotten.  Maybe I will be famous and can take my act on the road.  ???? ???? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, hackjam said:

Reading between the lines, you have pissed them off and this is their way of getting back at you-and maybe even trying to extract some coin from you.

Insinuating that they dont know what they are doing, getting mad at them and the cardinal sin of bringing your wife, suspect she may also have said something sarcastically to them in Thai.

I just dont understand why people bring their wife with them to do retirement visa, the officers speak good English and I know for a fact, it pisses them right off too.

Just be careful, they may try stitch you up, make sure your ducks are in a row.

My wife goes everywhere with me.  Basically, for translation purposes and she knows her way around both geographically and people wise.  I have never been aware that they did not like wifes to attend.  Maybe they can't say the things they would like to say if the wife is there.  I will talk to her about that.  

7 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

That is the oddest thing I ever heard. I have never had them even ask to come in the house. Were your witness's already in the house when they came, and you invited them in? Did they take any other photos in the house? Taking the photo from outside makes me wonder if they were not supposed to be in there.

Trat IO. We have to take our witness (my friend's wife) when we apply, she has to be present at home visit, yes other photos were taken in the house, immigration don't *ASK* to come in, yep it was the normal 7 days after applying (under consideration) 2hr warning to say they were coming as per normal.

Now we don't get the BMW just one  local guy from their sub-office beat up old truck, and he is OK. just photos of me outside signing his docs.

• Thanks 1

As with all things Immigration the home visit process will vary depending on location …… but some IO’s are just taking the p1ss !!

IMO a few guidelines need to be followed:

Entering the house is perfectly acceptable but only to sit down to fill the paperwork, no need to stray from the lounge.

Any request to see your bank book or state your income should be politely refused.

Any request for gas money should be firmly refused.

A glass of cold water can be offered but no need to wine and dine them.

Requests for photos in the bedroom should be refused, totally unnecessary imho and proves nothing.

Requests for witnesses should be met with “ you are free to talk to my neighbours if you wish “ or words to that effect.

No need to be hostile but also no need to become best friends, from my visits i have noticed that some IO’s are embarrassed by the whole thing while others show an air of superiority. A photo with your open passport or in front of the house number and someone to sign in acknowledgment of their visit is all they need.

They are only doing what their boss has ordered them to do and it is their job so no need to let it raise your blood pressure ………. or add them to your Christmas card list .

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Requests for witnesses should be met with “ you are free to talk to my neighbours if you wish “ or words to that effect.

There's no point in making things difficult for them. My pal renewed his marriage extension recently and it is the same every year, the witness is a standard requirement, fulfilled by my missis, who takes two copies of her i/d and tabien baan, and pal and I sit outside with a cup of tea while the two ladies deal with the IOs. It's all over in a couple of minutes. Their closest neighbours seem to be out or the houses are unoccupied, and sending the IOs off to find somebody else to talk to would only wind them up.

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2023 at 3:12 PM, retarius said:

I'll look forward to it especially when they ask for petrol money and I say 'mai mi satang'.

Ask them how far the station is. Calculate the actual cost for benzene. Give them the exact cost. Make sure they're coins especially one baht coins involved. Be overly polite.