Immigration coming to home to confirm I live here.

1 minute ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I know it's standard practice but that's not long to put your affairs in order is it? In most European countries it's much longer and with an appeals process can be dragged on for several months. Another example imho of Thailand not really liking foreigners at all, except for their money.

I think it's more they cannot think outside their Thai box..........????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

If an Immigration officer request funds to cover his expenses for a home visit, it's a scam.
Even if they use a private vehicle, their expenses are covered by Immigration.

The cost of meals is not included in their contracts, nor should it be covered by foreigners.
If you want to be courteous, offer them a coffee and biscuits, as you may any other visitors.

Exactly!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2023 at 3:17 PM, TaoNow said:

Immo doesn't care where the funds come from -

As usual it depends on the office, even the officer. I was trying to show them my income over a year. First they were confused because my British State pension was at the time paid to me every 4 weeks, so 13 payments in a calendar year. Then, as my British  State pension is less than the requirement even for a marriage extension the guy was genuinely appalled and said " but your country is rich, much richer than Thailand so why British government not pay good pension". Finally he asked so where does the rest come from. I said from UK investments. At that he asked for evidence of the payers and for the link to the payments arriving in Thailand. It was all very friendly and polite but at that last point I gave up and said I would head yo Savanakhet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JensenX said:

This has little to do with shouting. He wasn't eligible for an extension, therefore he had to leave. Maybe he was lucky they gave him 7-days and didn't lock him up.

I didn't say they gave him 7 days, it was only a threat delivered by a senior officer to bring him to order, stop shouting and to respect the IO. He was still "discussing" his situation calmly when I left.

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

should have left your money in the bank method. I went from income to  Money in the bank best move I ever made,

You get my vote.

400k in bank for 2 months only then able to live off those funds for few months is a no brainer.

Very sweet deal..

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Finally he asked so where does the rest come from. I said from UK investments. At that he asked for evidence of the payers and for the link to the payments arriving in Thailand. It was all very friendly and polite but at that last point I gave up and said I would head yo Savanakhet. 

Immigration wouldn't accept the Investment amount, only the interest amount from such Investments, with proof of such to be considered as income.

If you had Investments, that paid sufficient monthly interest to meet the difference between the basic UK state pension amount to 40K per month, then I'd cash in some Investments and transfer the 400K.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

As usual it depends on the office, even the officer. I was trying to show them my income over a year. First they were confused because my British State pension was at the time paid to me every 4 weeks, so 13 payments in a calendar year. Then, as my British  State pension is less than the requirement even for a marriage extension the guy was genuinely appalled and said " but your country is rich, much richer than Thailand so why British government not pay good pension". Finally he asked so where does the rest come from. I said from UK investments. At that he asked for evidence of the payers and for the link to the payments arriving in Thailand. It was all very friendly and polite but at that last point I gave up and said I would head yo Savanakhet. 

All their requests were perfectly reasonable. They have every right to seek evidence of the source of the income.

As Brits we lose out with the 13 payments (if sent direct to Thailand) because the annual income is irrelevant, it is the regular MONTHLY amount that is calculated.

I transfer 65k in on the first of every month via WISE. My pensions and investment income go into my main UK bank first. 

On 9/19/2023 at 3:17 PM, TaoNow said:

Frankly, Immo doesn't care where the funds come from -- just as long as you have 12 consecutive transfers into your account from outside Thailand.

Not so.

If you're using the transfer of income method, according to Immigration Order 138/2557, clause 2.22 (retirement) it states documentary evidence.
138-2557 (2014) Docs for extensions - ENG.pdf 
3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or
4. Funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook

Although clause 3 to me merely gives an example of proof of income, certain Immigration offices will only accept income from pensions, interest and dividend payments as proof of income and request documentary evidence such as statements to prove such.
They will dismiss overseas transfers where part of the income comes from Savings.

That was the experience @Kalasin Jo encountered.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2023 at 3:01 PM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Never get angry with immigration officials, it will always prove to be counterproductive.

My wife is a government employee, so I let them battle it out if they need to ???? ...but lately there haven't been much battles.

5 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

All their requests were perfectly reasonable. They have every right to seek evidence of the source of the income.

As Brits we lose out with the 13 payments (if sent direct to Thailand) because the annual income is irrelevant, it is the regular MONTHLY amount that is calculated.

I transfer 65k in on the first of every month via WISE. My pensions and investment income go into my main UK bank first. 

Yes. I have never had pension paid direct Thai bank.  Like you paid to in my case then my French bank, then I transferred to Wise where I converted to baht and sent to Thai bank My mistake? I did it on receipt every 4 weeks instead of calendar monthly. Stopped doing that now.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 2:47 PM, Boatman37210 said:

I retired to Thailand 12 years ago on a retirement visa.  Never had a visit to my home by immigration during that time.  We just got a call from immigration saying they will visit on Thursday to confirm that I live at my reported address.  

I married a Thai lady 12 years ago and live in a house and on land that she owns.  She has gone with me for each extension of stay over the years.

Since I retired my income has almost tripled.  Maybe they are suspicious of that. 

Also, since the doing away of the income letter I have opted do income rather than money in bank.  The last two extensions I got angry because they did not know what they were doing and it was obvious.  Before you just handed them an income letter.  Now you have to confirm your income and reconcile your disbursing bank in the U.S. to your receiving bank in Thailand. They do not know how to do that.  Maybe this is their way of getting back for my anger the last two visits.

Anyone on retirement visa ever have immigration visit their home afte such a long period of time?

Thanks in advance.

They can make life a lot tougher on you than you can on them.  Just saying.....   TIT.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Boatman37210 said:

They came.  They took pictures and filled out a form.  My wife point blank ask them if this was about money.  They of course said no.  I think this a case of no means yes.  As they left, they told my wife they would be back in 2 or 3 months.  She ask why.  Response was that many foreigners are scammers and liars.  Talk about in your face.

You were right.  I will be expecting another visit soon.  How do they get away with treating people like this.  I would think it would be considered illegal and abuse of power.  I know this is Thailand, but even in Thailand there must be something that can be done legally.  Or, maybe just put up with it until they get tired and realize there is no money here. 

So they came, they did their job then left, and they didn't ask for money. (But you think no means yes......erm, ok.)

And your human rights have been abused? "Abuse of power", "how do they get away with treating people this?". You are hilarious.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

And your human rights have been abused? "Abuse of power", "how do they get away with treating people this?". You are hilarious.

To the contrary....

Even if I was married I would never do extensions based on marriage as I can do extension based on retirement.

NO ONE is going to take random pictures of myself with wife.

Ridiculous.

At one point a picture of sitting on bed with wife was a requirement.

Absurd. 

I have had at least 5 home visits, mostly due to having to get new visas. Never have they asked for money. The pictures they have taken have been of witness's signing confirmations that I live there and one of my wife and I with the lead officer in front of our address (I think that one is more to show that they were really there and did their job). Also they never came into the house.

52 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

To the contrary....

Even if I was married I would never do extensions based on marriage as I can do extension based on retirement.

NO ONE is going to take random pictures of myself with wife.

Ridiculous.

At one point a picture of sitting on bed with wife was a requirement.

Absurd. 

Stay away from all those security cameras then! Even when they wanted that picture sitting on the bed many years ago, THEY didn't take it.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I have had at least 5 home visits, mostly due to having to get new visas. Never have they asked for money. The pictures they have taken have been of witness's signing confirmations that I live there and one of my wife and I with the lead officer in front of our address (I think that one is more to show that they were really there and did their job). Also they never came into the house.

IMO a circus.

First up imposing on neighbors is a joke.

Assume you give the witnesses a tip.

Just a rubbish requirement imo

• Confused 2

Reading between the lines, you have pissed them off and this is their way of getting back at you-and maybe even trying to extract some coin from you.

Insinuating that they dont know what they are doing, getting mad at them and the cardinal sin of bringing your wife, suspect she may also have said something sarcastically to them in Thai.

I just dont understand why people bring their wife with them to do retirement visa, the officers speak good English and I know for a fact, it pisses them right off too.

Just be careful, they may try stitch you up, make sure your ducks are in a row.

3 hours ago, Boatman37210 said:

They came.  They took pictures and filled out a form.  My wife point blank ask them if this was about money.  They of course said no.  I think this a case of no means yes.  As they left, they told my wife they would be back in 2 or 3 months.  She ask why.  Response was that many foreigners are scammers and liars.  Talk about in your face.

You were right.  I will be expecting another visit soon.  How do they get away with treating people like this.  I would think it would be considered illegal and abuse of power.  I know this is Thailand, but even in Thailand there must be something that can be done legally.  Or, maybe just put up with it until they get tired and realize there is no money here. 

Initiating a vendetta with Thai Immigration is seriously misguided. Thai officials are used to having people grovel. They are thin skinned, have long memories when they consider themselves crossed, and can really make your life a misery if they are vindictive. Do not think you have leverage against them. They can take you to court, if they are so minded, even for accusing them of harassment (and even if you can prove it is true)..

The reason. The marriage visa is for couples that are living together. I know of one now and one in the past that no longer live together and the one in the past was even living with another woman. The one I know of now lives about 100km away. They get together for his extension and when Imm calls and makes the appointment drives to her house. It has become harder for him due to the fact Imm now (this year is the first time this was required of me) requires the village head to be a witness, and he won't put his head in a noose.

12 hours ago, Boatman37210 said:

One thing I have learned, with immigration, it is wise to keep calm and quiet, after all, most grief is usually fixed easy.

I had one big piece of sh_t with them once, which I won't go into, but the guy learned not to mess with Mrs. T and her cop son....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/19/2023 at 2:55 PM, retarius said:

I've heard of immigration officials visiting people on 'marriage visas', never retirement visas. The visits are usually followed by a request for money for gasoline, apparently.

From Trat immigration. Map tp house means home visit normally 

1227268801_RETIREVISA(2).JPG.94d6d3c322b25b6386ce6f7c4b94f438.thumb.jpg.80558b64c41c943802227f8bbebacd33.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 3:12 PM, retarius said:

I'll look forward to it especially when they ask for petrol money and I say 'mai mi satang'.

They told me they had to pay for the ferry, I told them ''you Wanted to come, I didn't invite you'' and '' Police don't pay for the ferry or their own fuel". Never got asked again, water is all they get from us.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2023 at 6:47 PM, hotandsticky said:

You don't with a retirement extension. Still, they have our addresses and no doubt someone will be smart enough to use Google Maps!

Must be hand drawn at my office, I like to put in trees, rivers, bridges, height above sea level, while waiting for them to process my ream of docs. and talking to my wife and witness. I should take some colored  pencils next time. 

• Haha 2