Immigration coming to home to confirm I live here.

2 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

OK My visit was before the Buriram offices opened.

Bugger! I completely forgot that I used to go to Kap Cheong. ....I also remember going to temporarily offices on the 24 near the Korat turn - and later at Dan Kwien?  I think that a popular officer there was 'Dow'?.

In my early days in Prakhonchai (2008) I still stayed in Thailand on a multiple entry Non O visa: leaving every 90 days was easy with Cambodia so close. My first couple of annual extensions must have been at KC, then Buriram after. My visit was definitely staff from Buriram (according to my missus).

Edited by hotandsticky

4 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I had three (!) Immigration Officers come visit my rented condo in Chanthaburi about two months ago. I wasn't home. I got a call from the gal at the front desk saying these arrogant <self deleted> demanded I return immediately. I told her to tell them I was half way to Jomtien and I wasn't about to turn back around on their say so. She told me later they grilled her for about 30 minutes. Thankfully, I had treated her very well, giving her free English lessons whenever I could, and she told them I was "very jai dee" (her words). I haven't heard from them since.

They grilled her for 30 minutes? Really? About what?

I have never had a visit in nearly 29 years of being here, but when I do hear it is always a box ticking exercise and they are polite and cordial.

So, why did they "grill" her?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

They grilled her for 30 minutes? Really? About what?

I have never had a visit in nearly 29 years of being here, but when I do hear it is always a box ticking exercise and they are polite and cordial.

So, why did they "grill" her?

She said they asked her why I was in Chanthaburi. "No foreigner comes to retire in Chanthaburi!" they claimed. She was very distraught after the meeting with them. She told them I like to ride my bicycle which was true. Chanthaburi has some very beautiful riding trails.

I have not been impressed with the lack of "customer service" attitude at Chanthaburi immigration. I've done one extension so far, and even though I brought in copies of my entire bank book for the 800k as well as the actual bank book itself, they demanded I get an annual statement from the bank. That was an additional unnecessary, annoying step and 100 baht. Never had that happen at Jomtien.

I also have never been given any TM-30 paperwork to attach to passport though the front desk gal went to immigration to register me. Heavy sigh, if the women weren't so damned cute . . .

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Boatman37210 said:

Anyone on retirement visa ever have immigration visit their home afte such a long period of time?

Just learn to shut your gob and accept the fact you are a visitor in their country and it pays (heaps) to simply abide by their directions.

Whether you live there for years on end or you now make gazilions of dollars makes no difference to the outcome. 

Well, unless you insist on telling them you make gazillions, in which case your "fee" might go up accordingly.

#if all else fails, go back to line 1. ????

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Bugger! I completely forgot that I used to go to Kap Cheong. ....I also remember going to temporarily offices on the 24 near the Korat turn - and later at Dan Kwien?  I think that a popular officer there was 'Dow'?.

In my early days in Prakhonchai (2008) I still stayed in Thailand on a multiple entry Non O visa: leaving every 90 days was easy with Cambodia so close. My first couple of annual extensions must have been at KC, then Buriram after. My visit was definitely staff from Buriram (according to my missus).

Similar to my situation. Came here on a Non-O ME visa. Extensions at Chok Chai (highway 24 near Toyota garage), Dan Kwien, Kap Choeng and now Buriram. I did 2 marriage extensions at Dan Kwien without any house visit or witnesses. I had 2 house visits when reporting to Kap Choeng. One for marriage extension and one for retirement extension.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

Same thing happened to me this year after my 7th retirement extension of an OA visa at Phetchaburi immigration in Cha-am. . It went quick and pleasant at immigration, as I have learned what papers they need to see and bring them. But this year, as I was waiting for my visa to get stamped in, they asked me to draw them a map to my home. This was a first. And 6 days later two officers came to my home, unannounced, as I was just leaving. They wanted a photo of me inside and also outside my home by the mailbox. Maybe they would have called me if I had not been home. -They only wanted me to open the door and step inside the doorway, they were not interested to go into my house.

BTW For my monthly income verification, they want to see the WISE transfer statements, and also my USA bank monthly  statements showing the corresponding amount going out. And of course my SCB statement showing it coming in.

15 hours ago, TaoNow said:

They simply verify this by looking at your bankbook

Chiang Mai immigration want copies of each page of bankbooks for the year plus a 1 year statement from the bank plus another letter from the bank showing the minimum deposit is deposited from overseas each month. So triple confirmations.

The answer from me is yes. A month after I did my extension I got a visit, first time in 12 years. They were perfectly civil took photos of myself, the house and wife. I actually asked the question you are asking, their answer was that there was many people who listed that they stayed at a particular address and stayed at another. I read in immigration rules that this is a very serious offence and you could get deported 

16 hours ago, Boatman37210 said:

I retired to Thailand 12 years ago on a retirement visa.  Never had a visit to my home by immigration during that time.  We just got a call from immigration saying they will visit on Thursday to confirm that I live at my reported address.  

I married a Thai lady 12 years ago and live in a house and on land that she owns.  She has gone with me for each extension of stay over the years.

Since I retired my income has almost tripled.  Maybe they are suspicious of that. 

Also, since the doing away of the income letter I have opted do income rather than money in bank.  The last two extensions I got angry because they did not know what they were doing and it was obvious.  Before you just handed them an income letter.  Now you have to confirm your income and reconcile your disbursing bank in the U.S. to your receiving bank in Thailand. They do not know how to do that.  Maybe this is their way of getting back for my anger the last two visits.

Anyone on retirement visa ever have immigration visit their home afte such a long period of time?

Thanks in advance.

Is normal, there just following orders from above , it happened to me years ago after over 15 years

16 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Have your 2000 baht ready, 

When they requested money for gasoline and food the wife had taken a brown note out before I could do anything. When she went in for more they said 1,000B was enough. Probably depends where you are.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, brianburi said:

You need to acquaint yourself in how to read posts correctly before hitting the keyboard.

HappyExpat57 doesn't mention a wife in his post.  'gal at the front desk' is what he wrote..........

My bad...... I wrongly assumed it was a wife who had been 'grilled' - not the condo receptionist.

• Like 1

I had to go temporarily from a retirement to a marriage status this year because I messed up on my 800k.

I actually kept that money in a Thai higher return account of 4% per annum, then I put back in a normal bank 3 months before retirement renewal. Been doing that every year, 

Firstly it was only a few days late depositing, then my Immigration told me that I can’t take the money out anymore as head office tightened up on withdrawing the funds.

What a ball ache this Marriage visa thing is, lots of paperwork, trips to the local government office, & two home visits, we could not get any neighbor willing to confirm my residence, are they all hiding something?

Got the village leader to do it in the end, & we don’t even know him.

In a phone call the Immigration police boss said to the wife “look after my guys will you”  ฿1,000 between the three of em, that’s enough!

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

My bad...... I wrongly assumed it was a wife who had been 'grilled' - not the condo receptionist.

Yes, no wife in the picture. This poor girl at the front desk was frightened by the aggressive behavior of the IO's. They were probably upset cuz I didn't snap to attention and come running at their call for me to heel.  Eff them! I comply, and do my best to wear the "Thai smile" when dealing with them, but there are limits.

• Like 1