Phuket welcomes new Governor on October 1

snoop1130

1695054075_1-org.jpg

In a recent announcement, Sophon Suwannarat, the current Governor of Chaiyaphum Province, will assume the role of Governor of Phuket starting from the start of next month. Phuket is seen as one of the most prestigious postings for a Governor post. Provincial Governors in Thailand are appointed by the central government and not elected.

Sophon Suwannarat, who has been serving as Governor of Chaiyaphum for just a year, starting his tenure there on October 1 last year.

Prior to his role in Chaiyaphum, Mr. Sophon held the position of Inspector General at Thailand’s Ministry of Interior from December 15, 2021, to September 30, 2022. Before that, he served as Deputy Governor of Loei Province from October 1, 2017, to December 14, 2021.

By Peter Roche

Caption: Image: Google

Full story: Phuket GO 2023-09-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Chaiyaphum to Phuket?

Current governor also came from Chaiyaphum.

I wonder how officials can do effective work in a one year promotion carousel.

Like poster Deli before me, I wonder how much he paid to get the job. Must be millions and millions of baht, since being the governor of Phuket is probably a highly lucrative job. 
And I find the title of the article a little misleading as well. I’m quite sure not all of Phuket will be welcoming this new governor. Just those who have ‘done business’ with the previous governor will be looking forward to continue to ‘do business’ with the new one. 

• Thumbs Up 1