Agent didn't do a pre exisiting damage report

Amateur hour mistake by us.

Our first condo here in the heart of Sukhumvit. My partner was already here. We chose the condo, agreed all terms when i had to leave for a few days.  i arrived a few days after signing i saw many areas of slight damange (eg, little scuff marks in the walls, the fridge has a slight dent in it, markings on the floor, and markings on the kitchen worktops')

The agent discussed them, but he has made no report of them or give us any documentation. This is despite saying he would do so. 

Pretty much means we are screwed here if the landlord turns out to be one of those you know what. 

Thoughts ? We've been here just under a week. 

I know amateur hour. 

When living in Bangkok I rented two condos and used two different agents.  Both did a walkthrough with me prior to signing the lease. The agents documented any damage and took photos.  The photos and documentation were attached to the lease agreement.  You need to contact your agent to discuss this. 
I just want to point out.  These agents or realtors however you want to call them. Do not have to be licensed, take a test, or classes to do what they do. As some countries require.  They might have worked in 711 and then were hired as realtors or property agents.  The quality of these people are hit and miss. 

• Love It 1

5 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

€2,000 per month for a condo …. you have to be at the wind up

2 bedroom. Brand new condo. Heart of Sukhumvit. It's what they go for. All modern cons, pools, gym, boxing ring, even a small cinema style room ! 

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2023 at 2:10 AM, JoeyMac said:

2 bedroom. Brand new condo. Heart of Sukhumvit.

On 9/22/2023 at 10:43 AM, JoeyMac said:

with many areas of slight damage (eg, little scuff marks in the walls, the fridge has a slight dent in it, markings on the floor, and markings on the kitchen worktops

“A brand new condo with many areas of damage”.  

Yep, wind up ???? 

On 9/22/2023 at 11:10 PM, JoeyMac said:

2 bedroom. Brand new condo. Heart of Sukhumvit. It's what they go for. All modern cons, pools, gym, boxing ring, even a small cinema style room ! 

The heart of sukhumvit  ???? ???? I'd laugh if it was Nana

You could of got a nice villa on one of the islands for that price. 

On 9/22/2023 at 4:45 PM, JoeyMac said:

We are paying considerable rent - 75k a year. So i think the landlord will have a field day with our 2 month deposit.

Might consider with holding the last months desposit. 

I only pay one month's security. If not I move on. Offer one yearly payment up front at same time. I got my rent discounted 1000b pm with that stunt.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2023 at 9:07 PM, PJ71 said:

Not all expats that live in thailand are poor pensioners.......

I could afford to spend that much a month, but I won't.   Nothing wrong with it if you can.   You get a much better place to live than the 8,000 to 11,000 baht a month crowd.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 5:32 PM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

€2,000 per month for a condo …. you have to be at the wind up

Not everyone wants to live in a tiny studio !!!...

Those prices are very normal for reasonable places in Bangkok. 

Some folks really have no idea outside of their limited range of exposure. 

I shouldn't encourage this but in these circumstances................change the date on your camera or phone, take photos of the damage then do as Onemorefarang says and ask the agent if they'e forgotten to include the damage report, tell them you can let them have some photos taken on the day if that will help.

• Confused 1

if the landlord wants to be nitpicky photo's would not help anyway. what they say goes, and they probably knew the condition of the unit before you moved in.

the pictures and lease are only good enough for those who want to pursue them in court. many people don't understand this.

• Sad 1

On 10/26/2023 at 1:52 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Not everyone wants to live in a tiny studio !!!...

Those prices are very normal for reasonable places in Bangkok. 

Some folks really have no idea outside of their limited range of exposure. 

Oh look, there’s a squirrel  ¯\_()_/¯