Barclays to close UK accounts of all British expats . . . .

TorquayFan

On 9/24/2023 at 6:59 AM, TorquayFan said:

A Friend's experience - a few weeks ago, after 50 years with Barclays, he queried by email the non-arrival of his new debit card, and received this circular in return https://www.barclays.co.uk/important-information/living-outside-the-uk/#EEAresidents

And that was that !! I note that such closures apply to the credit card, current a/c, savings a/c, ISA, Home insurance, Bonds/deposits and loans. A shocker all round.

I would miss the credit card if Nationwide debanked me. I don't know how else I'd hire a car when I visit UK without it. I have three other banks in the UK I use for banking, but the CC is with NW.

44 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I should have thought that if the account holder doesn't own a property in the UK and uses the address of a family member or friend that he stays with when he's in the UK, then that isn't a false address.

In that situation you're probably describing a non-UK resident who doesn't have any address in the UK so giving someone else's address would be giving a false address.  The bank, in most cases, would not be happy providing facilities for a non-UK resident.

The answer, of course, is for that person to tell the bank that he's not a UK resident and doesn't have any UK address except a family member's for when he visits the UK.  See how it reacts.  

• Sad 1

On 9/23/2023 at 2:33 PM, impulse said:

Asking out of curiosity, and because I don't know the answer.  Not to make a judgement...

Is there any risk of being charged with a crime if it comes to light that you're using a false residence address for banking or (especially) for NHS purposes or for other benefits, as recommended by several guys on here?

I would be wary about taking the advise that providing a false address is not illegal. Technically it is fraud by misrepresentation. A bank would probably take no action other than to cease doing business with you. The NHS, on the other hand, may view it as you receiving a financial gain if you are non resident and treat it more seriously. 

I was told the same that my wife and my Barclays current accounts would be closed in September 2023 and today 28/09/2023 my wife received a new debit card for her current account.We have both lived in Thailand for over 7 years with them given our Thai address at the same time.

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

I should have thought that if the account holder doesn't own a property in the UK and uses the address of a family member or friend that he stays with when he's in the UK, then that isn't a false address. I use my family members address for all my correspondence, not just my bank. Anything important he emails a copy or sends it on by post if I need the original and vice versa.

You seem to be confusing Residential Address with Correspondence Address, l think there is a difference.

l wonder if those who use an address of a friend or family member ensure they’re on the Electoral Register at the address, l know from recent experience that, at least some, banks use this to check that their potential new customers comply with their criteria.

https://www.ukpostbox.com/blog/correspondence-address-and-residential-address-differences#:~:text=What is a Residential Address,of 183 days per year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

l wonder if those who use an address of a friend or family member ensure they’re on the Electoral Register at the address, 

I'm not on the electoral register at my correspondence address. I am listed elsewhere as an overseas voter.  My husband is not on the electoral roll anywhere in the UK.

If my bank started looking,  they would immediately see that I'm not resident,  so I make sure I don't give them reasons to look.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I'm not on the electoral register at my correspondence address. I am listed elsewhere as an overseas voter.  My husband is not on the electoral roll anywhere in the UK.

If my bank started looking,  they would immediately see that I'm not resident,  so I make sure I don't give them reasons to look.

and i believe that is perfectly legal......