Barclays to close UK accounts of all British expats . . . .

TorquayFan

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

We're not talking about that arrangement when you would actually be living there, we're talking about deliberately providing an address that is not the account holders in order to disguise non-UK residency.  That would be a false address.

I provided the address suggested by my UK bank manager.  Of course, this was over 5 years ago now, so Lloyds may change their policy to be like Barclays.  My UK account is active on a monthly basis, as I use it online to pay for many things here in Thailand, and regularly transfer money.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Giffgaff provide UK SIM cards free to any Thai address. £10 call credit lasts years.

Appreciate that tip, a SIM is now on it's way to me.   Got a feeling, though, that when I get past the UK phone number stage the next thing that they will require,  after their credit check comes up blank for me, is a confirmable UK address which doesn't exist.   Thanks, anyway.

https://www.starlingbank.com/open-bank-account-online/

"The small print

When you apply for a current account with us, we’ll carry out some quick checks at a UK Credit Reference Agency. The initial checks leave a soft footprint on your credit file, and the overdraft check leaves a hard credit check footprint. If we need additional proof of address information we’ll get in touch via the app".

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Appreciate that tip, a SIM is now on it's way to me.   Got a feeling, though, that when I get past the UK phone number stage the next thing that they will require,  after their credit check comes up blank for me, is a confirmable UK address which doesn't exist.   Thanks, anyway.

"The small print

When you apply for a current account with us, we’ll carry out some quick checks at a UK Credit Reference Agency. The initial checks leave a soft footprint on your credit file, and the overdraft check leaves a hard credit check footprint. If we need additional proof of address information we’ll get in touch via the app".

Use the last address you lived at in the UK.

The credit check doesn't know you've moved.

Works for me and I haven't lived there for 14 years.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"The small print

If you're trying to open an account then they will check the electoral register so unless you're registered at that address (which could possibly mean more council tax for the owner if there is only 1 Adult currently registered there) you're unlikely to succeed. 

If you already have an account & are just trying to get the App working, then I did exactly this when I changed my phone last December using a GiffGaff SIM (took about 1 week to arrive, totally free), I don't know why I bothered putting credit on it at that time as I've never had an SMS/Call from Barclays on it but it could be they tried & failed as I don't think I put "International" credit on it.

It did come in handy for my UK trip last May though so well worth having anyway. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:
11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"The small print

If you're trying to open an account then they will check the electoral register

I know, hence the content of my post!

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In which country?  On this generally Thai-centric forum are you claiming that Starling will open accounts online using a Thai phone number?   They will not, if they would I'd have the Starling account that I've been trying to get for years. 

From Starling's website...

"Who is eligible for a Starling bank account?

You can apply for a Starling account as long as you’re over 16 and live at a UK address"

I opened a Starling account (I think when in the UK, not sure), they closed it.

A friend in Thailand ran a UK online business through Starling, they closed it.

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

If you're trying to open an account then they will check the electoral register so unless you're registered at that address (which could possibly mean more council tax for the owner if there is only 1 Adult currently registered there) you're unlikely to succeed. 

I doubt they check the electoral registers. The bank account I use now, with Halifax, was set up on the back of providing passport details.

I used my parents address. An address I have never lived at. At the time I was not even living in UK, I was visiting, and had not lived in UK for 18 years.

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

At the time

The time you can keep to yourself but maybe the year might add some value ????

ID&V is done through a 3rd party credit check. We use equifax. Saying they do or do not use electoral register info is both inaccurate and overly simplistic. Its a scoring process with a pass/fail threshold. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I doubt they check the electoral registers. The bank account I use now, with Halifax, was set up on the back of providing passport details.

Fingers crossed haven't read or heard of Halifax closing any of our account.

Let's hope that continue ????

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

I used my parents address. An address I have never lived at. At the time I was not even living in UK, I was visiting, and had not lived in UK for 18 years.

How long ago was this only for years now even the most basic credit/KYC check includes a check on the Electoral register & if they don't find you there you will be asked for proof of address. 

One of the Credit Check companies that Barclays use is Experian so I guess you could always do one yourself & see what happens... 

https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/experian-credit-score.html

[Don't worry, it's only a "Soft" check so won't show up on any future credit checks].

Edit: From the Experian site 

6 ways you can benefit by getting on the electoral roll

1. Registering to vote improves your credit score.

Your Experian Credit Score reflects your chances of getting approved by lenders, for things like a loan, mortgage or even a mobile phone contract. It’s based on information in your credit report. When you register to vote, your electoral details are recorded on your report. This data helps lenders confirm your name and address, so your score will increase as a result. You can check your score anytime with a free Experian account.

https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/guides/electoral-roll.html

Edited by Mike Teavee

3 hours ago, noobexpat said:

ID&V is done through a 3rd party credit check. We use equifax. Saying they do or do not use electoral register info is both inaccurate and overly simplistic. Its a scoring process with a pass/fail threshold. 

They opened my account there and then. No checks were made at that time. Everything they did was on the screen that was right in front of me.

I was told by many expats prior to my visit that opening a bank account would be impossible. That I would need this and that. I didn't. Passport and my parents address, where I had never lived. Done.

2019 I believe it was. That was followed a year later with my wife and daughter opening an account at the same branch. 2020 and 2021. Daughter with UK passport, had never been on a UK electoral register , and wife on Thai passport.

• Like 1

How long ago was this only for years now even the most basic credit/KYC check includes a check on the Electoral register & if they don't find you there you will be asked for proof of address. 

One of the Credit Check companies that Barclays use is Experian so I guess you could always do one yourself & see what happens... 

[Don't worry, it's only a "Soft" check so won't show up on any future credit checks].

Your Experian Credit Score reflects your chances of getting approved by lenders, for things like a loan, mortgage or even a mobile phone contract. It’s based on information in your credit report. When you register to vote, your electoral details are recorded on your report. This data helps lenders confirm your name and address, so your score will increase as a result. You can check your score anytime with a free Experian account.

Me 2019, daughter 2020, wide 2021.

None of us were on the electoral register at the time. All accounts opened with passport only. Wife, Thai passport.

Number one is funny. We recently moved regions and I move electoral register.  My credit score, doesn't matter to me as I don't want credit, went down.

Reason, less time on electoral register than previously. 

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

They opened my account there and then. No checks were made at that time.

You don't see it, its electronic and instantaneous. 

Its risk assessment and the specifics will be kept pretty secret by whatever credit agency the bank uses.

3 hours ago, noobexpat said:

You don't see it, its electronic and instantaneous. 

Its risk assessment and the specifics will be kept pretty secret by whatever credit agency the bank uses.

I wasn't on the electoral register. Neither were my wife or daughter. Both wife and daughter had never lived in UK. I had been away for 20 years.

It's has been said on here, if they can't find any information they will ask for further evidence.

No further information regarding address was requested.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I wasn't on the electoral register. Neither were my wife or daughter. Both wife and daughter had never lived in UK. I had been away for 20 years.

It's has been said on here, if they can't find any information they will ask for further evidence.

No further information regarding address was requested.

I last week opened an account with Barclays, online and without any hitch.

I was in Bangkok at the time.

All they needed was my Passport and proof of a UK address. 

Stress on the ‘a’.

For many expats whose income to their account is from bona fide UK sources, pensions, investments, rental income the bank have no reason to question the account.

The mistake people make is declaring they are an expat.

Unless one has significant investment income there is absolutely no reason the declare oneself an expat.

One proviso is when sending money overseas from your UK account, give the reason as sending money to family, grey enough not to be confirmation of your own residence overseas.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Stead on the ‘a’.

For many expats whose income to their account is from bone fide UK sources, pensions, investments, rental income the bank have no reason to question the account.

The mistake people make is declaring they are an expat.

Unless one has significant investment income there is absolutely no reason the declare oneself an expat.

One proviso is when sending money overseas from your UK account, give the reason as sending money to family, grey enough not to be confirmation of your own residence overseas.

The point I'm trying to make, currently falling on deaf ears, is Halifax didn't require proof of UK address.

I didn't have any proof and got an account opened there and then. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The point I'm trying to make, currently falling on deaf ears, is Halifax didn't require proof of UK address.

I didn't have any proof and got an account opened there and then. 

Because its like bob the builder or paul the plumber explaining how financial services operate. 

Take your outcome as a win and don't bother trying to set precedents for everyone else.

19 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Because its like bob the builder or paul the plumber explaining how financial services operate. 

Take your outcome as a win and don't bother trying to set precedents for everyone else.

I haven't tried anything of the sort.

I also find it offensive that you seem to think I don't know what I'm talking about. You are not the only one with a background in financial services.

19 hours ago, noobexpat said:

Agree, been off the electoral register for 10+ years, no problem opening new accounts.

15 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That's very interesting, congratulations. Are you able to say what proof of address you supplied? Only one proof?