TriCare Select Overseas

TheAppletons

For those US retirees who use this health insurance option:

1.  How long does it take to get your claims processed?

2.  When you go for medical care, I understand you pay in full to the hospital/doctor then put in a claim for reimbursement.  Do you tell the Thai medical service provider that you have insurance or just tell them you are paying directly?  Is there an advantage to one or the other (like price)?

3.  If you primarily reside in Thailand, can you obtain medical care in other Asian countries and submit a claim for reimbursement? (I presume "yes".)

4.  Any major pitfalls that may not be obvious to someone considering this option?

Thank you in advance.  If you'd prefer to PM me instead of discussing in the open forum, please do.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

2.  When you go for medical care, I understand you pay in full to the hospital/doctor then put in a claim for reimbursement.  Do you tell the Thai medical service provider that you have insurance or just tell them you are paying directly?  Is there an advantage to one or the other (like price)?

3.  If you primarily reside in Thailand, can you obtain medical care in other Asian countries and submit a claim for reimbursement? (I presume "yes".)

4.  Any major pitfalls that may not be obvious to someone considering this option?

Thank you in advance.  If you'd prefer to PM me instead of discussing in the open forum, please do.

Some info here  https://aseannow.com/topic/995803-us-veteran-health-care-cover-info/

While one usually has to pay first and get reimbursed I believe there are one or two places in CM that will do direct billing to Tricare.  It is not Tricare that disallows this but rather than most hospitals are not prepared to go through the paperwork.

Price will not be affected by fact that you plan to submit to an insurer for subsequent reimbursement, hospitals/clinics could not care less. In direct billiing arrangements there may be some negotiation between provider and insurer but when you pay up front there is none.

Big issue is to be sure you get the documentation you need to submit your claim.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

I've been here in Thailand for about a year I'm wondering many of these things as well. I will be signing up during their open season(Nov 12 - Dec 13). I do know you have to pay first, then file a claim. I think there's an app to make filing a claim easier/faster. If a bill is $1,000 you have to pay 25% but there is a YEARLY catastrophic cap of approx $4,000. They constantly mention you have to update your address in DEERS. There is a one time enrollment fee. I think there is a monthly payment but I don't think it's over $100. The below website give pretty good info. I think overall it's a very good deal since the closest "free" emergency room for military retirees is in S. Korea, Japan, Guam, Hawaii. 

https://www.jusmagthai.com/medical.html#:~:text=There is no VA Medical,be covered under VA FMP.&text=The VA Mail Order Pharmacy does not ship prescriptions to foreign countries.

• Thanks 1