American TikToker condemns Bangkok taxi driver for trying to rip him off

webfact

Has the situation drastically changed in BKK? When we used to live there getting a decent taxi driver wasn’t difficult, I think maybe 75% chance. You would ask politely and the guy driving would give you a strange look to say “of course I will use the meter. Why not?” - never take a standing taxi unless it’s at an issan food stall and the guy is just finishing lunch.

But I read on Reddit, tourists constantly bemoaning taxi drivers.

I don’t know or care, but this guy has gone out of his way to catch a taxi driver, he’s already got the phone out with the intention of catching him out to make a video, the phone is in his hand, it’s pretty shady. Maybe we see the guy at the police station, but I hope we see Mr jason too, making a video to purposely damage Thai tourism.

i checked his feed, he does have another video with a guy where he negotiates 20B discount on a tuktuk, but videos of a guy saying ‘yes I use the meter ever day’ dont generate likes. 

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Has the situation drastically changed in BKK? When we used to live there getting a decent taxi driver wasn’t difficult, I think maybe 75% chance. You would ask politely and the guy driving would give you a strange look to say “of course I will use the meter. Why not?” - never take a standing taxi unless it’s at an issan food stall and the guy is just finishing lunch.

I don’t know or care, but this guy has gone out of his way to catch a taxi driver, he’s already got the phone out with the intention of catching him out to make a video, the phone is in his hand, it’s pretty shady. Maybe we see the guy at the police station, but I hope we see Mr jason too, making a video to purposely damage Thai tourism.

i checked his feed, he does have another video with a guy where he negotiates 20B discount on a tuktuk, but videos of a guy saying ‘yes I use the meter ever day’ dont generate likes. 

Hopefully the Taxi driver has him charged with defamation.

100% not a scam.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Nowadays it’s not just tourist, locals complain about the problem too. It got worse due to influx of tourist in the past 10 years, taxis rather take tourist than Thais. But this problem is usually isolated to down town Bangkok, and tourist areas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

Welcome to Thailand, boy-o.  You are going to be doing a lot more of such SM postings during your SEA visit.

In the video, the American starts out speaking Thai, so he probably knows his way around. If anything, he was maybe trolling for a dishonest cabbie to get a good video.

• Sad 1

Just now, Cory1848 said:

In the video, the American starts out speaking Thai, so he probably knows his way around. If anything, he was maybe trolling for a dishonest cabbie to get a good video.

Wonder how long it took him.... since he didn't get to  Khao San Road, I suspect this was the first attempt!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

What the taxi driver did is illegal. Full stop.

"There is a law in Thailand that requires taxis to always run on meters and not to decline any customer that hails them when they are available."

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel-to-thailand/bangkok-taxi-tips-how-to-get-a-taxi-in-bangkok#:~:text=Use the Taxi Meter,them when they are available.

Pleased you cleared that up, so can we now assume all taxi drivers will fully comply after you have pointed this apparent unknow law. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Hopefully the Taxi driver has him charged with defamation.

100% not a scam.

Not trying to defend the driver, but up to a certain point its his perogative, he's being straight with the guy. 

If they feel like they can talk to the customer, they will often tell them why, the traffic is bad in that area, its rush hour on a rainy night, I can make more doing little hops to the BTS and back, sorry. I had many times when the driver refused a long fare, to Minburi or Thonburi, if you ask why, the answer is always, they are running out of gas and would need to take you to a gas station or their shift is ending soon and they were looking for a fare to take them closer to mo chit. Tik Tok has overtaken vocal conversation theses days.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

Pleased you cleared that up, so can we now assume all taxi drivers will fully comply after you have pointed this apparent unknow law. 

I was pointing out this IS a scam. Poster I was replying to was saying there was nothing wrong with what the taxi driver did. Your sarcasm is noted (that doesn't mean it's appreciated nor was it necessary).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Apparently, he just enjoys bothering people ...

Like the other idiot from some time back called Nat who is still around trying to justify his position of being a useless no-body. 

29 minutes ago, fallup88 said:

Nowadays it’s not just tourist, locals complain about the problem too. It got worse due to influx of tourist in the past 10 years, taxis rather take tourist than Thais. But this problem is usually isolated to down town Bangkok, and tourist areas.

ride shares have also appeared in this time - grab, etc .. which seems to have discounted some type of fares. idk, there is lots of talk on reddit how tourists find it easier to navigate and the bargains they got - other times, to me, they seem to have paid more than a taxi hailed from the side of the road.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1