Firearms

Dustoff

this whole idea of wanting a gun in thailand is insane imo

Why is that? I have several beautiful hand-made hunting rifles that I inherited, why would I not be allowed to own them in Thailand? I'm not carrying heavy rifles around with me in my pocket when I walk on the street. I understand your concern however about someone carrying a concealed pistol, coming out of a bar drunk at 4am ...

Agreed. I think many are used to what goes on in USA with armed home invasions by perhaps several professional thieves. If you secure your house well with steel doors & window grates, I would think it would not be worth the time for a thief to crack it. If you are in the process of going in or out of your house via your car, you are not going to have access to a gun, becauses you cannot carry it outside of the house. What about the legal issues, if you ever were to use it? I don't think I would want to be staying in the neighborhood after I shot & killed some poor, unfortunate Thai. I being the rich, fat cat foreigner.

While I understand that simplistic views are inevitable on public forums, I hardly think that those seeking reasonable means of self-protection, in any nation or culture, can be so easily judged as insane. Perhaps you have a more useful and appropriate opinion? If so, I think that we all would be happy to hear it..

I am still interested in whether tasers are available/legal here. I long ago sent a recommendation the the American Federal Aviation Administration recommending they consider allowing experienced Commercial Pilots who, like myself, would be willing to act as Sky Marshals while flying as passengers and carry tasers as the arm of choice. Tasers are for the most part non-lethal, pose no danger to other passengers or the integrity of the aircraft, and seasoned professionals who are accustomed to the responsibilities of being the Captain of a ship are perhaps among the best qualified to react appropriately in an emergency situation. I am still awaiting the FAA's response.

There are many, many others of us here in Thailand who have extensive training in firearms and probably do not qualify as insane simply because we recognize that this a very violent world and that our families are worth protecting.

To you other sane folks out there, what do you do besides barring the windows to ensure your/your family's safety and are you satisfied with that protection-of-choice?

Thanks

I'm firmly in the camp of not letting Farangs in Thailand have fire arms.

That is not an anti American sentiment, not even anti fire arm, rather it I am mindful of the dispopritionate number of, let's be polite here, 'Off the Curve Farang's ' that wash up in Thailand.

I'd rather trust a chimp with a gun than most of the Farangs Thailand seems to be attracting.

Huu Huu Bang Bang! Huu Huu!

Edited by GuestHouse

That is a good point GH, What would be needed is something similar to the U.K where a firearms officer from the local police force "checks your character". However the chances of this happening in LOS are fairly low I think, especially as it’s hard for most Thai people to asses a farang accurately.

Edited by madjbs

INT
Guns are crazy expensive here. 100K+ for a Glock that would cost you a fifth of that stateside.

The prices of Glocks are ridiculous but not usually more than 70k but they retain a good resale value. STI's on the other hand are ungodly at more than 130k.

WOW ! Having never priced guns in LOS, I had no idea prices of pistols were so high. Here is the US the Glock 19 is around $500. and STI's around $1000-1500 depending on model. Import duty and taxes can really takes a toll there.

Yep, but my STI is a competitor, I think it's about 2k in the states. But I think the dealers ship them part-by part and assemble them here as kit guns and register them as Thai-made. So there's less tax and more profit for the dealers.

That is not an anti American sentiment, not even anti fire arm, rather it I am mindful of the dispopritionate number of, let's be polite here, 'Off the Curve Farang's ' that wash up in Thailand.

I'd rather trust a chimp with a gun than most of the Farangs Thailand seems to be attracting.

I know you have problems, but incase you missed the post above yours, here is a recap: read this post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t&p=1419454

Amen, GH, Amen.

Amen indeed, but let's get down to exactly why it is not a good idea for Farangs in Thailand to be allowed to have guns.

Trawl through TV, or simply hang around for a while and at sometime you'll come across posts relating to the continuing deteriation of Thai Farang relationships; some of these posts are from guys who have had a recent problem with Thais or the 'Thai System', and we might very well argue that this is in some cases brought on by the Farang's own behaviour.

But there are very many complaints that things are not as rosey in Thailand as they were from guys who have many years of experience in the Land of Smiles. These are more difficult to brush off as a personal unfounded gripe.

When we look for reasons we might blame the rise of xenophobia/nationalism stoked by TRT et al; we might also argue the problem lies in the scrag end of Farang society that is increasingly finding its way to Thailand. I think the problem is a mixture of the two causes.

Regardless, let us now consider how much worse things would become if Farangs were allowed guns in Thailand.

At some time, Johnny Redneck/Trailor Trash/Chav is going to exchange shooting his mouth off for shooting his gun.

Where upto now low life Farangs cause Thais a level of annoyance, the moment a Farang plugs a Thai the <deleted> will hit the fan.

That is <deleted> that would impact every single Farang in Thailand.

There is a safety and security alternative to guns.

And it is very much inline with Thai culture...... Respect, Friendship, Good Behaviour.

Believe it or not, if you treat the Thais around you with respect, build good relationships with family, friends and neighbours you'll actually wind up having people who respect you and look after your interests.

This works for the vast majority of Farangs in Thailand. (And will continue to do so while ever we keep guns out of the hands of Rednecks in Thailand).

---------

TAWP. Thanks for posting the link (twice), but there is no need, I have read the forum rules.

If you feel I have broken the forum rules then please take your complaint to the Moderators.

But do take note that a prediliction to wanting to silence people you don't agree with is not doing your own argumet that you should be allowed a gun any good at all.

GuestHouse>> I pointed out the post since you (and now again) blatantly disregards a mods plea to keep this thread free of anti-gun political soapboxing.

And your posts on the subject are so tiresome and really not worth countering since they lack any value at all.

I could get a gun within hours, possibly minutes if I wanted from family connections.

Frankly the thought of having a firearm on the premises would be somewhat un-nerving so I would never consider it.

I have a taser and I think that is sufficient 'protection'.

i had a gun legally ,owned by my wife ,scared the crap out of me ,why would any one want one

I could get a gun within hours, possibly minutes if I wanted from family connections.

Frankly the thought of having a firearm on the premises would be somewhat un-nerving so I would never consider it.

I have a taser and I think that is sufficient 'protection'.

Do you live in thailand?

• 1 year later...

Actually, dude, all states with legal "shall issue" concealed carry laws have drastically less violent crime than states that do not.

So don't base your judgements on Arnold Schwarzenegger movies.

Thats just what we need, more Farangs with guns. Because that has worked so well in the US! (I hope you can hear the intended sarcasm. If not, I put it in bold, so you would be sure to get it).

Since several posters have firmly asserted that the sound of cocking a pump-action shotgun will send thieves running away as fast as they can, the answer is simple!

'For just 4,999 baht you can be the proud owner of the Raaaaachit pump-action shotgun sound file, available in genuine MP3 format. Simply install onto your laptop or home PC and hit the play button when you hear the sound of intruders. For absolute guarantee, you can also buy our 'GET THE <deleted> OUT OF HERE NOW!!!' sound file for a mere 1,999 baht!!!'

(Sound files are also available in Thai, Khmer and Burmese languages......)

:o:):D

Seriously - please forget your ideas about owning (and using) a gun for home protection. I cannot think of anything more 'risky' in Thailand. (In the UK, I had both firearm and shotgun licences and owned and used such weapons).

Get a big dog or move to an area where you feel safer. I live in north Phuket, never lock my doors, never had any problems. But I've made the effort to learn Thai, learn about Thai culture, mix with the locals and become one of the community. It helps...

Simon

Having lived 7 years in the Phillippines, where there is hardly any gun control. Taxi drivers carry $50 home made handguns and no bank, store, or mall is complete without several uneducated shotgun carrying idiots in uniform. Had guns pointed at me on several occasions...then I left for here.

I feel so much safer at home and outside here in LOS, where there is some measure of gun control....less guns in the hands of idiots.

For home security, living in a fairly remote area, I have a boat air horn that can be heard for 5 kilometers, 5 mobil phones with police #'s and neighbors #'s, fenced wall around my compound and I remain friends with my neighbors and wife doesn't flash gold.

I [or the wife] would feel a little safer with a taser and/or pepper spray and if anyone knows where they can be found [legally] here in CM, then please post!!

You can own a gun if you get permission from the highest ranking local police officer. I believe you need to give a good reason for wanting the gun, and I hear it is not so easy. My friend from America has a valid carry permit from Royal Thai Police and carries a glock, but he is well connected here and is involved with them in some way. He even has a commendation from Thai govt. for stopping an armed holdup in Bangkok. Like everything else here I think it depends on who you know and how much. Myself, being an Indian I have a bow and a tomahawk, hence the forum i.d. Probably this statement will lead to a lot of Indian jokes. Regardless of what weapon you use, though, there will be a whole world of hassle for any farang that uses it against a Thai. But if my life or my family's depended on it, I would worry about that later. Anyway, there was a recent big , long and rambling debate about guns in this forum previously so if you check that one out you will perhaps receive the info you want, but if I recall the other one was called "Can you bring a handgun to Thailand" or something, and despite 700 pages or so of pro and anti-gun ranting on the subject, I don't think the poor OP ever got the answer to this question.