Solar Recommendation for Blackouts

1 hour ago, parallaxtech said:

I live in Koh Samui.  Can anyone recommend a solar company to install the entire system?  My electric bill is never over 2k baht, 2 people, and never use a/c.

I can't recommend a solar company being as how I'm a long way from Kho Samui, but I am curious to know why you want to go solar.

What is your reason?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

I live in Koh Samui.  Can anyone recommend a solar company to install the entire system?  My electric bill is never over 2k baht, 2 people, and never use a/c.

So you're not wanting solar for cost savings, as your bill really isn't much.  Installed system is going to start around 150k-200k.  What's your age, as ROI will take probably at least that many months, 150-200, if saving 1000 baht a month.

My installer has done solar systems on Samui, and based in Hua Hin, but travels far and wide.   Whether he wants to return to Samui to do a system now, is a question mark, as quite busy.   Along with, if an oops, it may be a while before he gets there to service the system.

https://solarsolutionltd.com/

Since all you need is to keep your computer, frig & fan on, have you considered one of the solar generators, basically a big UPS/power station/bank, and you could charge with couple solar panels or charge up overnight on the grid, for those long outages.  Although they are not cheap either, in TH.

Something like this, 3500 cycles & LFP chemistry, providing 2200w inverter.

This may even be what your using already:

Available at (cheaper than USA pricing):

LAZ

Shopee

Think I would consider buying one myself, if my car didn't already have V2L ... ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

We are getting blackouts on Chaweng Mountain every week for up to four hours.  My electric bill is only 1500 baht/month for two people, no pool, and not using a/c, so I don't really need to save money.  It just bothers me as far as using the computer and getting water via electrical pump.  My neighbor uses a generator which is very noisy and smelly.  Any recommendation on installing a solar system?  I have just basic electrical skills.

7 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

We are getting blackouts on Chaweng Mountain every week for up to four hours.  My electric bill is only 1500 baht/month for two people, no pool, and not using a/c, so I don't really need to save money.  It just bothers me as far as using the computer and getting water via electrical pump.  My neighbor uses a generator which is very noisy and smelly.  Any recommendation on installing a solar system?  I have just basic electrical skills.

Your other thread

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

So you're not wanting solar for cost savings, as your bill really isn't much. 

His bill isn't much because power spends much time being not there also return on investment is probably low down the list of importance for the same reason.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@KhunLA

I think continue here to avoid the other thread going off topic.

I'll hide / move those posts.

Not sure if he saw the replies or not.   Wish we could tell who likes a reply, as would have answered that question.

Notice some folks don't know how to search their profile for previous posts, and simply start a new thread.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I will probably go for the portable solar system offered by Lazada (suggested by Crossy).  My UPS keeps the computer running for 10-20 minutes so I need one that can support me up for 2-4 hours.  If anyone has a particular portable system that they currently use or knows someone using it, please comment.

Edited by parallaxtech

2 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

Thanks for the suggestions!  I will probably go for the portable solar system offered by Lazada (suggested by Crossy).  My UPS keeps the computer running for 10-20 minutes so I need one that can keep me up for 2-4 hours.  If anyone has a particular portable system that they currently use or knows someone using it, please comment.

Please check your actual required load (just add up the Watts of each device) so we can be sure just how much energy you will need.

55 minutes ago, parallaxtech said:

Thanks for the suggestions!  I will probably go for the portable solar system offered by Lazada (suggested by Crossy).  My UPS keeps the computer running for 10-20 minutes so I need one that can support me up for 2-4 hours.  If anyone has a particular portable system that they currently use or knows someone using it, please comment.

ECOFLOW has flagship & official stores:

LAZ

Shopee

• Like 1

Firstly. Stay away from companies. The payback period from free energy will be longer than 10 years. 

If just for backup when power goes out, you can setup a basic system using a couple used car batteries 1,000 baht and a simple Lazada inverter 1.5kw 1,500 baht. A car battery charger at about 500 baht. So totals 3,000 baht. You will have a system that can run when your power goes out for around a day if all you run is lights and a fan.

If you are looking at becoming a full on solar user here in Thailand with panels it's just not worth it. Costs of panels and inverters and batteries are too high with no government support. A few people here have done it but they have other reasons than just money saving.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/4/2023 at 8:42 AM, parallaxtech said:

If you have a black out then your inverter won't work so solar is not much use.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lazybones said:

Mine does.

On 10/4/2023 at 8:42 AM, parallaxtech said:

We are getting blackouts on Chaweng Mountain every week for up to four hours. 

I live at the foot of said mountain and have got those weekly blackouts for over 20 years, it is usually a high-voltage fuse that has blown and the PEA guys are always slow to come and replace it.  I finally opted for installing solar, mainly to get a very high monthly bill down (big extended family, many aircons) but also to use as a big UPS.

I probably would have bought one of those portable thingydingies if we didn't have a high energy consumption.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A Portable Power Station is an Off Grid System. When there is a power outage you have to disconnect your devices, e.g. computer or water pump from the grid and connect them to the Portable Power Station. This can be done manually or automatically by a separate switch.

More comfortable is using a Hybrid On and Off Grid Inverter which switches automatically within 20 ms or less. There are very flexible inverters which can be used off grid or on grid, with or without solar panel, with or without battery, with or without a generator or all together.

To cover power outages you can start with an inverter and a battery. The battery is charged from the grid. More batteries, solar panels or generator can be added later. Even more inverters can be added later.

See e.g.

Hybrid Solar On and Off Grid Inverter

POWMR

Edited by willi2006
Typo
  • Like 1

TM's suggestion  re a mains-charged battery bank on standby was refreshingly unique, practical and economical. 

Just question this:- "a couple used car batteries 1,000 baht and a simple Lazada inverter 1.5kw 1,500 baht. A car battery charger at about 500 baht."

The reliability of used car batteries could be disappointing just when needed? and be careful about the charger quality that must settle on a suitable float voltage, say 13.8V?. Research yourself.

"A couple" could infer a series (24v. messy with just one 12v charger) or parallel (12v) connection depending on inverter's requirement.  Either way one suspect 'used car battery' could let the system down. Mmmm messy.   Invest in brand-new and identical batteries. Size? Deep cycle? Forward plan into future solar possibilities?  Is any grid getting more reliable? Research.           An accurate/reasonable multimeter to check float volts and emergency load volts re over discharge risk, but inverters often have low input-volts dropout. Research.

Cheap smaller inverters usually dont tolerate some load surges, e.g. the start current of a 1000w water pump (600W is more typical size,) but not likely on low emergency loads with T.M.'s  suggested (LED?) lights and fan, but beware some cheapies with their impure A.C. output may not treat sensitive electronic loads kindly e.g. computers . Research.   Some inverter type petrol generators warn about this.

Configuiring a stand-alone connection access to only T.M.'s emergency type loads on to the inverter circumvents undesirable loads/overloads, and easy initiation by family    e.g just go for the inverter's DC input switch.   Overall great idea T.M.

Edited by Jing Joe
technical addition

20 hours ago, Lazybones said:

MIne does!

Most hybrid inverters switch seamlessly between grid and battery and solar panels.

You can also set them to use grid, and only switch to battery if the grid fails.

Mine is set to work as a full house UPS.

I've only had one power outrage in the past year, when my kid shorted live to neutral.

Whole system depowered until I hit the 'reset' switch.

Edited by BritManToo

16 hours ago, willi2006 said:

There are very flexible inverters which can be used off grid or on grid, with or without solar panel, with or without battery, with or without a generator or all together.

Good on your encouraging advice Willi but beware folks, there's a nice off grid  Queenswing inverter that works from solar panels and claims to work without a battery. Yes it does rather nicely, until the first cloud comes along to drop the input volts below 120V, then it goes to a fault mode, fair enough, BUT a battery voltage then needs to be verified as fully charged, and until then, it stays in fault mode.   So with no battery it then needs to be manually reset, after every cloud, depending on:- 1. the power available from panels to keep the volts above 120v,   versus:- 2. the cloud density versus:-    3. the inverter output load level.    With no load and all cloud variations, even quite overcast, it works well all day. ????

On 10/3/2023 at 7:56 PM, parallaxtech said:

If you are just trying to have power during blackouts and you stated you don't need ac, many simple solutions.  

*  A 300 watt solar panel with wires long enough to go from the solar panel to your battery (3000-5000 baht).  Doubt 300 watt will ever be needed since you are only trying to top off between blackouts.

* A solar charger that is connected to the panel and then to the battery (500-2000 baht)  but the cheap ones work fine.

* 200 AH LivePO4 battery (15,000 baht on Lazada ). I use 50 AH setup for blackout protection which has never been an issue and this would ony set you back 4k-5k baht.

* A 1000 watt inverter ( 1000-3000 baht ).  

I would go to a solar shop to get the panels and wires to get the ball rolling and order the other components on Lazada or Shopee.  Just copy and past the above into their website and only buy from sellers with tons of reviews.

Funny, mounting the panel is best done with foam bars or even sheets that cost 100 baht in my case.  Use contact cement to attach to roof and panels.  Last forever and easy to move if you change your mind.  Drove for 2 years with them attached to my camper top driving 120 kph.  Could drive another 5!

Done!  

Edited by atpeace
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Lazybones said:

If you have a blackout then your inverter won't work so solar is not much use.

That seems irelevant to the proposed question by P parallaxtech  

Sure a simple Grid Tie Inverter "shouldnt" run if not synchronised with the blacked out grid it is tied to, but a hybrid system with a battery will, so will an off grid system typically running an inverter from batteries that have been charged from solar, so will a non-solar mains charged system T.M. suggested in reply to the topic question by P.

"I could be wrong and I often am"

On 10/4/2023 at 10:55 AM, TimeMachine said:

The payback period from free energy will be longer than 10 years. 

Not when you live on a private development and the charge is 9 baht per Kwh.

The payback on my small installation (no batteries) was just under three years.

29 minutes ago, atpeace said:

If you are just trying to have power during blackouts and you stated you don't need ac, many simple solutions. 

P said has limited skills but good on your encouragement "atpeace".   There could be 2nd hand 240Watt panels dirt cheap out there from solar installers upgrading systems to 300 watt (or bigger) panels.