Solar Recommendation for Blackouts

8 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Not when you live on a private development and the charge is 9 baht per Kwh.

The payback on my small installation (no batteries) was just under three years.

Take the batteries out of the equation it is dirt cheap.  Is it easy to attach the panels to the grid electric box?  It would be nice to crank the AC during the hot season during the days and especially when running on the treadmill.  Assuming the grid connection is easy, it would pay for itself in 6 months if I did it myself.

25 minutes ago, Jing Joe said:

P said has limited skills but good on your encouragement "atpeace".   There could be 2nd hand 240Watt panels dirt cheap out there from solar installers upgrading systems to 300 watt (or bigger) panels.

I forget that i do have a little understanding and probably misjudge the complexity.  I figured if idiot me could figure it out and I just recently figured out the difference between a flathead and philips screw driver, he could do it.

He will definitely get shocked many times but 12v is rarely too painful.  Might even fry a component which I did (inverter) so some fun to have in the process.  Even attaching positive wires  to positives terminals  can be daunting if drinking a few beers during the install. 

I looked at as an adventure and had little hope I would eventually be able to plug things into it  but after one day of slow work, I was surprised I could attach a 150 watt fan and my treadmill at the same time and it was the same as grid power.  

Edited by atpeace

21 hours ago, parallaxtech said:

Thanks everybody for all the great suggestions!  I just ordered a portable off-grid system from Lazada and will see how it goes for a few months.  If that doesn't solve the problem, I will add batteries or switch to a complete on-grid solar system.

Excellent, would you mind to report back how it went for you? interested as well in this solution. TIA

• Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 8:42 AM, parallaxtech said:

We are getting blackouts on Chaweng Mountain every week for up to four hours.  My electric bill is only 1500 baht/month for two people, no pool, and not using a/c, so I don't really need to save money.  It just bothers me as far as using the computer and getting water via electrical pump.  My neighbor uses a generator which is very noisy and smelly.  Any recommendation on installing a solar system?  I have just basic electrical skills.

A trick I learnt in Issarn is to keep a large garbage bin (new) full of water in the shower/bathroom.

Cover it with a lid and its ready to use for a splash shower or to flush the toilet when power is out. Of course you already knew that.

For the computer and a fan a simple set up of a solar panel and auto battery will to for a few hour outage.A few other parts will include a regulator etc

YT has tone of examples for DIY and not too expensive.

On 10/3/2023 at 2:56 PM, parallaxtech said:

I live in Koh Samui.  Can anyone recommend a solar company to install the entire system?  My electric bill is never over 2k baht, 2 people, and never use a/c.

You need backup batteries to store the solar generated electric power for blackout at night or days without enough sunshine. During a longer period rainy-season your will be without power or without backup.

I've been living permanently on Samui for 18 years now – came here for a littler longer period – the power cuts are luckily much less now than before. If you have weekly blackout it might rather be too much load on the local transformer or a too small cable somewhere in the grid; we had that problem, PEA replaced it with a bigger transformer and larger cables...????

When I designed my house to be build, I included a backup power-system based on simple UPS units and a larger battery and inverter for the most necessary light.

Be aware of water pump and the type of inverter used. I made my house with a tank on the attic instead, so I always have running tap-water. You can also use a 12-volt water pump, but they are rather expensive.

My design was a number of UPS to power computer(s), screen(s), TVs and other sensitive electronics, which also protects the electronics from variations in the main supply. Furthermore I have a separate cable-network for "emergency" lighting, so there always are light in bathroom – the unwanted situation washing hair and power cut at the moment the soap run into the eyes during both blackout and no water...:shock1: – kitchen, stairs, some outside lamps etc. It's powered by a larger battery and an inverter, and charged from the mains, so it also works during the rainy season. With LED lighting a battery can easily give enough time for a reasonable black out – like 5-6 hours or more – before main power is restored.

Using mains-charged battery pack and inverter(s) for important stuff only, might be a more solid – and cheaper – solution for Samui, than solar power, which also won't work during rainy season.