Thailand’s digital wallet project: Green light to make cash splash

webfact

10 minutes ago, Trippy said:

The 10,000 will be gone within a week, the national debt this will cause will be around for decades. 

Not if the 10k is drip fed to recipients over many months. No way will the Govt drop everyone the whole wad at once. Best guess would be 300 bht per week or 1k a month.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

That's not how this works,

The below is a over simplified explanation. 

Two terms that come into play are "Propensity to spend" and the multiplier effect. 

Propensity to spend is the percentage of this amount that is spend on the average. In Thailand I am sure is is close to 100%

The multiplier effect : is how many times that  10,000 baht will circulate in the economy . 

So I spend 10.000bht buying shiny beads, Now the shiny bead store owner  has 10.000 with which to buy beer, the beer store owner has 10.000 to buy som tam and so on and so on.

at each transaction (or most of then) a 7% tax is collected. After about 15 cycles the goverment has recouped the 10,000 and more , and the economy is stimulated. 

That's the theory. 

Of course there are some problems. The stimulus could be saved and not spend at all, or it could be spend outside the country. 

Good summary, far to complex for Trippy and co.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, grandpa said:

A digital wallet is no good for the elderly who do not possess a smartphone, or those people in Isaan who live more than 4 km from shops that will accept the scheme!  My 90 year old father-in-law fits both of those categories so it will be useless for him.

Give him a smartphone.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Just an inspired guess based on past handouts.

Agree with the sentiment in your post though except that I'd wager the 10k wouldn't even last a couple of days if it were handed out in one go.

My Mrs just told me that it must be spent within 6 months, so Bht 1000 a month is no good.

There is only one shop within 4 kms of my house where this money can be spent.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

My Mrs just told me that it must be spent within 6 months, so Bht 1000 a month is no good.

There is only one shop within 4 kms of my house where this money can be spent.

The committee that sets up the scheme hasn't even been formed yet so not sure where the 6 months comes from.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Olmate said:

Good summary, far to complex for Trippy and co.

But sounds too much like a perpetual motion machine to me.

The bead shop owner had to buy the beads in the first place, so he does not have 10,000 baht to spend at beer shop.  Maybe has 3,000 to spend.  Same for beer shop owner.  Soon dwindles to zero.

And VAT is claimable by shop keepers, so only 1 lot of 7% is ever collected.

Edited by deejai33
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1