Taxing a car after long term storage??

jeff_north

Many years ago, I had a motorcycle which I didn't use for at least 5 years, and I didn't pay any taxes.

I asked in reputable motorcycle shop about that. They told me if I want to use it again, I have to pay all the taxes from the last years since it was registered. They told me the process to do that is simple.

I never followed up with that because I sold the bike.

I don't know if there are other options after years. In my case that was the only option because my bike had a 2-stroke engine, and it was not possible to get new registrations for that kind of bike anymore. 

If its to late to pay the back tax, then as far as I know it will have to be re-registered, new book and plates would be issued can take a week or more for the plates. You could get a Thai to ring the transport office for clarity, or try a yellow cog testing place (it will need testing anyway 200b) they have connections at the DOT office and should know what to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MeePeeMai said:

From what I hear, after 3 years (of expired tax sticker), it is taken out of their system and cannot be made road legal again.  

Official rules:

3 years is maximum overdue for tax pay backwards. After that the registration/plate/book is void.

But as far as I know you can go through some new registration process. Don't know the details.

Official rules: I do not exclude or argument about exceptions from the rules like above described 5 years.

TiT

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 10:30 AM, brianthainess said:

If its to late to pay the back tax, then as far as I know it will have to be re-registered, new book and plates would be issued can take a week or more for the plates. You could get a Thai to ring the transport office for clarity, or try a yellow cog testing place (it will need testing anyway 200b) they have connections at the DOT office and should know what to do.

Agree, definitely try the yellow cog testing places first, they on every few streets, the hassle of the DOT office isn't worth it unless as a last choice.

• Love It 1

* If vehicle tax has not been renewed for more than three years, vehicle registration will be terminated by the Department of Land Transport. *Vehicle tax renewal fee is 450 Baht. *A copy of the motor insurance can be sent via fax to 02-3056202.  

1 hour ago, circa02 said:

Agree, definitely try the yellow cog testing places first, they on every few streets, the hassle of the DOT office isn't worth it unless as a last choice.

Absolutely I also buy my extra insurance from them, no hanging around for hours on end 20min in and out all docs can be posted back to you. They discovered one of my rear brakes was not  working 100%. 

But from memory when I registered my car in my province, (my choice) , the LTO  had to fit the new plate and not handed the new one till the old one was removed, but the yellow cog places may be able/allowed to that too.