Bahtbus Regular Fares

justbob

If you did a private hire on this route you would pay 100 or 150 baht. That is for five adults. twenty - thirty baht per head. So don't be cheap.

I despise comments like this. The guy was asking a question.

I remember when I was a Pattaya newbie, I asked a question about baht buses and I got, "This doufus will be on the TV news." and other shithole comments like that.

I've just never understood people like this. If someone ever asks me a question, I answer in a helpful way and keep my shithole opinions to myself if I have any.

Yes, MrFingers, you have a point there, but some people like to express their superiority. Probably owing to the level of education.

That's why a valuable forum like this is mostly used by newbies (just a few posts) and the frustrated know-alls, who are just very keen on degenerating other creative or new posters who have the guts to ask a question or give some kind of (valuable) information.

Now back to the topic: see Tappraya Hill (Budha Hill between Jomtien and Pattaya) as a border. On either side of the border a regular trip within the song taews route is 10 Baht. Crossing the border will cost another 10 Baht.

By the way: I don't think that the price is too high or too low, but it is always nice to know what to pay after the trip has finished. Take care that you give the correct amount, because in most cases there will be no change.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now back to the topic: see Tappraya Hill (Budha Hill between Jomtien and Pattaya) as a border. On either side of the border a regular trip within the song taews route is 10 Baht. Crossing the border will cost another 10 Baht.

Wrong.

The fare from Jomtien to Pattaya is 10 baht. There is no border on the hill. It is 10 baht all the way to Pattaya Klang. After Pattaya Klang, a higher fare is expected now (for example 20 baht to Big C)

This might be different if you are boarding a Pattaya bound bus far down Jomtien Beach Road. I am basically talking about people boarding from the Police Box at Dongtan and closer. Like I keep saying, these fares are situational and fluid, and the drivers usually remember where you got on. Also, the drivers have a tendency to get greedier during high season.

Edited by Jingthing

I guess I can still post even though Weho says "Case Closed"?

Well, Jingy, exactly WHERE did I mention you by name in my first post and accuse you of anything?

I merely stated that those posters advocating metered taxis in lieu of baht buses were foolish to the extreme.

While your example of getting a chartered baht bus to take you to a specific destination would seemingly cost more that a metered taxi, how would you propose metered taxis make a living in Pattaya? Would they drive around looking for that odd fare that needed to go from Jomtien to a hospital across town or would they be on-call for that anxiously awaited telephone call from you or Weho to take you shopping at Foodland?

As I said in my earlier posts, metered taxis are foolish in Pattaya. They would generally be more expensive and would probably be just as rude in the long run.

My suggestion for your formal dress-up problem is to make contact with some private taxi owner (not a baht bus) and put him on retainer to be standing by at your beck and call to transport you and yours to the galas you might be invited to attend.

Another option might be to buy a car and drive yourself. That's what I did when I got fed up with baht buses.

It should be clearly understood that I do not like, nor do I have any respect for the baht bus syndicate. There are entirely too many of them and they are the cause of many of the traffic problems in Pattaya. Metered taxis are not the alternative, however.

There was a poll here a while back.

The vast majority of people FAVORED the introduction of Bangkok style taxi meters in Pattaya.

You suggest everyone buy cars???

That is your solution to a bad public transportation system.

Amazing. No further comment needed.

about raining and something. you may call and get taxi meter. i dont think that at now pattaya need taxi meters like in bangkok because of lack people.

about price. i think the normal fare for thais is 5 baht for a quarter. same for farangs.

There was a poll here a while back.

The vast majority of people FAVORED the introduction of Bangkok style taxi meters in Pattaya.

You suggest everyone buy cars???

That is your solution to a bad public transportation system.

Amazing. No further comment needed.

You and Weho have a habit of closing discussion when you want to.

Please tell me where I suggested EVERYONE buy cars. I merely offered it as an option in a post responding to a post of yours. My personal option was to purchase a car and do the driving myself. Perhaps a bicycle might be more to your taste.

So, now you are telling me that most people would prefer to ride in and pay for metered taxis than the baht bus system? Since metered taxis start their meters at 35 baht, this would therefore mean that you would pay more than 35 baht to ride from Central Road to Walking Street. I don't think of this as a solution at all. I see this as an increase in travel costs initiated by people that think a 5 baht surcharge for a foreigner is wrong.

My solution to a bad public transportation system would be an elevated train similar to the one in BKK.

Are you willing to put up with the traffic problems that would be generated by the construction of this sort of system? I am not.

You could always do like Weho does. Pay the Thai fare when a bunch of Thai's pay and then sneak off. :o Maybe you do already, I don't know. :D

I have decided to retract the "case closed", and reopen the discussion for this comment: I believe in pattaya, there is enough "room" for BOTH baht busses, AND metered taxis. I would ALSO like to see loud and noisy tuk-tuks here too... and motorbikes... I like choices. and there should be a public air conditioned bus, but it has to go on sane routes, at sane intervals, at a sane price. maybe i'm asking too much.

occasionally, we all see Bangkok taxis IN pattaya, presumably, they just dropped someone off... can we flag them down? will they operate here, or will the baht bus mafia get after them?

I will say "you're welcome", in advance, for granting this the discussion here is STILL open, naturally until either me or whoever the other one was, that got accused of having the authroity to "close" threads whenever they want, STATES that the thread is now closed.

by the way, does our authority to close threads at will, and/or on a whim, extend to other forums too, or just this one?

I have decided to retract the "case closed", and reopen the discussion for this comment: I believe in pattaya, there is enough "room" for BOTH baht busses, AND metered taxis. I would ALSO like to see loud and noisy tuk-tuks here too... and motorbikes... I like choices. and there should be a public air conditioned bus, but it has to go on sane routes, at sane intervals, at a sane price. maybe i'm asking too much.

occasionally, we all see Bangkok taxis IN pattaya, presumably, they just dropped someone off... can we flag them down? will they operate here, or will the baht bus mafia get after them?

I will say "you're welcome", in advance, for granting this the discussion here is STILL open, naturally until either me or whoever the other one was, that got accused of having the authroity to "close" threads whenever they want, STATES that the thread is now closed.

by the way, does our authority to close threads at will, and/or on a whim, extend to other forums too, or just this one?

Your "you're welcome" is appreciated by all the little people.

As far as I am concerned, your authroity (sic), along with the authroity (sic) of your unnamed friend, to close threads is all encompassing and can be used on any forum, anywhere and at anytime you wish.

Just don't expect anybody to pay any attention to you. :o

I have decided to retract the "case closed", and reopen the discussion for this comment: I believe in pattaya, there is enough "room" for BOTH baht busses, AND metered taxis.

Road room may be a problem - you are suggesting more vehicles on the same crowded roads

I would ALSO like to see loud and noisy tuk-tuks here too... and motorbikes... I like choices. and there should be a public air conditioned bus, but it has to go on sane routes, at sane intervals, at a sane price. maybe i'm asking too much.

Have these disappeared again, then? The Municipality spent a lot of money on buses on fixed routes - green, blue, purple or some such. Air-conditioned, 35 baht a trip. Of course this is too expensive for the Thai majority, but might have pleased the tourists. I have honestly not checked to see if they're still running

occasionally, we all see Bangkok taxis IN pattaya, presumably, they just dropped someone off... can we flag them down?

If there are no Baht buses in the area, one may stop. But this is at risk to his health, and yours

will they operate here, or will the baht bus mafia get after them?

We have no authority to do anything, except post inanities. See your thread on Suvarnabhumi as to who closes discussions, and for what reasons.

There is actually a little grid with destinations in Thai explaining the fares on the three main routes of Pattaya

On the Jomtien Naklua route there are 4 fares from 5 Baht up to 20 Baht for the entire trip.

Perhaps someone who can read Thai could translate the grid

Case closed.

case NOT closed Weho! i still expect an answer from you why baht buses should charge the same fare they were allowed 15 (FIFTEEN) years ago.

Hello - I can help you with your question. They should charge only what they are allowed to charge BY LAW :o because it is the law. If they don't like the fare system, they should change the law.

The normal fare is five baht and that is what the Thais pay. I might add, that rich (wealthy) Thais also pay only 5 baht. I cringe when I hear foreigners here cry for overcharging which amounts to nothing more than thievery pure and simple. I'm with Waho on this one - he understands it IMHO.

We should pay what the Thais pay because it is the law.

Edited by Guest

I'm not sure who you are referring to here Weho, but let me remind you that discussion of moderation is not allowed on the forum, as per Forum Rules.

As far as moderation of this particular thread and forum is concerned, provided there are no posts that violate the Forum Rules, there will be no need for moderation and topic closure.

I have paid 20 baht from Jomtien to Pattaya and 10 baht within Pattaya or within Jomtien for the past several years. You cheap people must think that those drivers are going to get rich off your 10 baht. I think the baht buses do a great job and it is certainly worth 20 baht NOT to have to drive my car in that traffic. This baht bus bashing comes up on a regular basis along with the words corrupt and mafia. This is always a chance to use one of my favorite British words, WHINGERS! :o

I have paid 20 baht from Jomtien to Pattaya and 10 baht within Pattaya or within Jomtien for the past several years. You cheap people must think that those drivers are going to get rich off your 10 baht. I think the baht buses do a great job and it is certainly worth 20 baht NOT to have to drive my car in that traffic. This baht bus bashing comes up on a regular basis along with the words corrupt and mafia. This is always a chance to use one of my favorite British words, WHINGERS! :o

Whiners, schminers.

It IS a mafia!

It IS corrupt!

Why? Try to charter one of these cattle trucks for a so called "taxi" ride. Are you happy with the price? If you do not want to buy a car or moto, do you have any other CHOICE? No, you don't.

Also, explain to me why there are no Bangkok style taxi maters in Pattaya, a big international tourist resort city comparable to Acapulco Mexico which is teeming with taxis and buses? It is the baht bus mafia. Obviously. They block this basic civic improvement with the threat of VIOLENCE.

Again, name me even ONE major international urban beach resort anywhere in the world other than Pattaya that does not have TAXI CABS? Not cattle trucks, not motos, but actually modern automobiles.

This is absurd.

Edited by Jingthing

I have paid 20 baht from Jomtien to Pattaya and 10 baht within Pattaya or within Jomtien for the past several years. You cheap people must think that those drivers are going to get rich off your 10 baht. I think the baht buses do a great job and it is certainly worth 20 baht NOT to have to drive my car in that traffic. This baht bus bashing comes up on a regular basis along with the words corrupt and mafia. This is always a chance to use one of my favorite British words, WHINGERS! :D

Now I'm angry. I don't care that it is not much money, or that it is a lot of money to the driver - if he charges Thais less for the same trip, then I pay the Thai fare. Who are you to tell me that I should let them steal my hard earned money.

Just because the money is a lot to them, does not negate that I worked for it and I'll be damned if someone is going to reverse shame me because I am more industrious or had better breaks than the Thai Baht Bus Drivers.

000 :o:D:D

I am not really angry. Just continue to be amazed that farangs can actually defend the practices of baht bus drivers:

double pricing

fast acceleration when elderly passengers are boarding endangering their lives

extortionist taxi charges, MUCH more expensive than Bangkok for the same distance, and no aircon

occasional violence

common rudeness (banging on the window to kick you off the bus before you want to get off)

common abusive behavior to passengers (I have seen drivers make women and children cry)

driving off with your hand in the window instead of offering proper change

threatening Bangkok taxi drivers who might want to pick up a fare in Pattaya

BTW, let us be clear. The correct fare from inner Jomtien (for example the police box at Dongtan Beach) all the way to Pattaya Klang is 10 baht. For farangs. 10 baht. Not 20 baht.

Something is rotten in the city of Pattaya. And it drives a truck.

Are all baht bus drivers so bad? No, of course not. Just a very good percentage of them.

These drivers should be SMILING TOURISM AMBASSADORS. Think how much better Pattaya would be as a beach resort if it didn't have a transport system dominated by apparent psychopaths.

Edited by Jingthing

when i get into a taxi in New York, Frankfurt or Dubai the driver turns on his meter which shows in excess of 100 Baht and that before the taxi has moved.

my personal view therefore is that the discussion "5, 10 Baht or 20 Baht" is as superfluous as are the tits of a nun who vowed eternal celebacy :o

as an excellent cure for bahtbus-phobia i suggest a taxiride from Narita Airport to downtown Tokyo for which i paid several years ago the equivalent of 165 US-Dollars.

the apocalyptic principle riders may now start slaughtering me as i dared to suggest that bahtbus drivers are allowed to steal their hard earned money :D

I'm not sure who you are referring to here Weho, but let me remind you that discussion of moderation is not allowed on the forum, as per Forum Rules.

As far as moderation of this particular thread and forum is concerned, provided there are no posts that violate the Forum Rules, there will be no need for moderation and topic closure.

Big Brother is watching :o

when i get into a taxi in New York, Frankfurt or Dubai the driver turns on his meter which shows in excess of 100 Baht and that before the taxi has moved.

my personal view therefore is that the discussion "5, 10 Baht or 20 Baht" is as superfluous as are the tits of a nun who vowed eternal celebacy :o

as an excellent cure for bahtbus-phobia i suggest a taxiride from Narita Airport to downtown Tokyo for which i paid several years ago the equivalent of 165 US-Dollars.

the apocalyptic principle riders may now start slaughtering me as i dared to suggest that bahtbus drivers are allowed to steal their hard earned money :D

Dr. Numb, please take this in the most sweetest and non confrontational way possible:

Who gives a flying &$&$& about what you pay for a taxi much less a banana in Dubai?

The conversation is about thailand, pattaya if you prefer precision (which you evidently do not) so let's stick to the facts.

The fare is five baht. I can prove it is five baht, can you prove otherwise?

Who gives a flying &$&$& about what you pay for a taxi much less a banana in Dubai?

i know it's not polite to answer a question with a question but you asked for it. so here is my question but i am polite enough to provide an answer:

question: "who gives a flying <deleted> about people who refuse to pay a fair price for transportation over several kilometers?"

answer: "the concerned thai authorities give much more than a flying <deleted>. they have already made it quite clear (and in future will make it much more clear) that these kind of people are not really welcome in Thailand anymore "

:o

edited in order zat tchermann krammer oond vording iss internashonally better oonderstood :D

Edited by Dr. Naam

To Dr. Numb:

You sir ignored my question. If you wish to have a rational discussion based on fact not emotion, then answer my question.

1. Can you prove that the base fare fo the baht buses in Pattaya is not 5 baht.

I can prove it is.

Can you prove that it is not.

Keep ignoring this and I will keep asking the same question until everyone who reads this thread realizes that you don't really want to have a rational discussion based on fact. They will realize that you have a personal agenda and truth is not part of it.

Answer my question.

So Naam, the Thai authorities approve of Thai people who cheat farangs? Is that the case?

The Thai riders of the baht buses are aware, the police are aware, and I'm sure that City Hall is aware. The short answer is, they don't care.

Go for a ride on the baht bus and observe how much Thais will pay when they ride it. Then go to pay the same amount and see how the criminal behind the wheel recoils in horror.

Ride the bus with your Thai lady. If she is a bar girl, she will pay double the Thai fare for you and for her because she won't want to insult the driver. She will reach into your pocket because you are a rich Naamfalang and she doesn't care if you worked for it or not.

I rode the bus a year ago with my wife. The criminal driving the bus demanded 20 baht for both of us. I argued with him. He relented and told me he would except 5 baht for her but "10 baht you ... you falang".

Case closed.

000, you were correct to confront that driver. Just because you are accompanying a Thai person doesn't make them a temporary farang. I don't think we can always avoid double pricing because it is just not worth the hassle and potential violence, but that case is a point of principle that does need to be confronted.

Yes, I agree Thai authorities do condone much of the corruption surrounding Pattaya public transport. Doesn't mean we as farang have to adopt and internalize those rotten values, going so far as to defend them.

Edited by Jingthing

would there be different opinions if people worked the value as a % of the minimum daily wage in the respective locals ??

telling me 5 baht is sixpence don't mean squat .

Edited by Mid

would there be different opinions if people worked the value as a % of the minimum daily wage in the respective locals ??

telling me 5 baht is sixpence don't mean squat .

Oh, you mean some kind of communist pricing system?

Rich Thais pay triple, poor farangs get 1/2 off, that kind of thing?

Edited by Jingthing

nothing of the kind ,

rather than saying it's only x baht therefore 50 p or whatever ,

calculate the value as a % of the respective min daily wages ,

folks who claim it's only x may not be so forgiving if robbed of the identical % as per their home countries min daily wage .

hence the notion that x baht is only worth what ever is worth squat .

5 baht is the MINIMUM fare - it does not say anywhere that it is the ONLY fare.

5 baht is the minimum base fare. It is 5 baht for dwarfs, retards, Einsteins, rich, poor, white, black, issan, malay -

5 baht.

I don't give crap how much of their daily intake of vitamin b12 is or whether they fed the dog. Nor do I care how much petrol costs - 5 baht is the base fare by law.

Don't like it? Tip them and or change the law.

I choose not to do either.