Aptamil Baby Milk Powder

Boo

We are over for a month in August with our 3month old son & due to him suffering with terrible colic we had to change his milk from SMA Gold to Aptamil first milk.

Now I know SMA is sold widely in Thailand but have never seen (or noticed) Aptamil & as it is not that well known in the UK either am worried it isn't available.

Does anyone know where it can be bought in either Bangkok, Samui or Khon kaen please as I don't fancy lugging a months worth over with me.

Cheers

We are over for a month in August with our 3month old son & due to him suffering with terrible colic we had to change his milk from SMA Gold to Aptamil first milk.

Now I know SMA is sold widely in Thailand but have never seen (or noticed) Aptamil & as it is not that well known in the UK either am worried it isn't available.

Does anyone know where it can be bought in either Bangkok, Samui or Khon kaen please as I don't fancy lugging a months worth over with me.

Cheers

We have always used the "Dumex" brand and there were no problems. No breast feed since day 0.

No colics, nothing.

Well... this is a bit hard ... I am not up on your brand of infant formula.. for rolic... I have not seen that brand about.. It seem you are in a need of a protein Hydralate.. Nutramigen Mead Johnson Product..

The best situation is to buy the powdered form of the formula... Or naturally, contact the Infant Formula Company direct via their Web site..that should be a starting point.. Good luck.. Cheers

Edited by Rhys

• 2 weeks later...

Also used Dumex as a back up to breast feeding in our daughter's 2 1/2 week existence with no problems. Cannot say I've seen that brand.

So you go for a month. With limited experience I think that would be a large can and about 7/8 refills. NOt too large unless eating loads every day.

An alternative is to take it to Bangkok and then post it to your other destinations. This is very common in Japan ( I know, japan is not here).

Thanks everyone for the replies, sadly it looks like this brand isn't avaiable but as he only takes 5 feeds a day & no more than 6oz per feed I only need to carry with us 3 canisters (each one lasts about 10 days). Worst case we use somethings else, maybe Dumex for the last few days.

Thanks

Thanks Torrenova, we also looked in BKK & no go but I brought 4 canisters which all expoloded in the plane!!! Luckily didn't loose too much but now I know, always decant to plastic bags before long haul flights :o

• 1 month later...
Thanks Torrenova, we also looked in BKK & no go but I brought 4 canisters which all expoloded in the plane!!! Luckily didn't loose too much but now I know, always decant to plastic bags before long haul flights :o

Boo is that right they came apart on the plane?. Did you put them in the suitcases in the hold or in the hand luggage?. My son will be 6 months old when we travel for the first time. We too use aptamil for our son.

Hi, yes all 4 canisters exploded in the hold & was later told that I should have put a hole in the foil seal prior to flying so that the pressure doesn't make them explode rather than put it in food bags in future !!! As it was the whole plastic container split too with the force of it & we ended up having to wash nearly all our clothes when we arrived as they were sticky with milk not to mention 28 quids worth of milk ruined!!! :o

well thats a whole another story but a run down.

Prior to holiday baby was having lots of problems with his feeding as he was always in pain & had very painful wind & never took his bottle without being force fed. Health visitors all said colic colic colic but I knew there was something else wrong so finally a week before our holiday it was finally agreed that he may have an intolerance/allergy to his milk & they might need to change his milk to a hypoallergenic one after he had been seen by a diatician or paediatrician but as we were going away I didn't want to mess with his milk as I knew how to get him to feed with Aptamil & colief drops so agreed that we would look into it after we got back & he was a month older.

After his milk got destroyed though I changed him to HIQ brand & he exploded in a pussy rash & didn't drink anything for nearly 3 days as he had such bad stomach :o so after a visit to the Bangkok Samui Hospital he was changed to Soya milk (Isomil) & within 3 days he was a different baby. Contented, taking nearly whole bottle feeds, regular toilets & started sleeping better. Once we got back to the UK he saw the diatican who then changed him to a non dairy non soya protein formula as apparently babies under 6mnths old can also get allergy to soya if they have allergy to dairy & now he is feeding on this & is really happy with this too. :D

So no experience to local brands but as othershave said, a baby without my sons problems would probably be fine on HiQ or Dumex as all my freinds with kids in LOS use these too.

Well boo you seem to have the same problems as we do . We tried all the usual colic remedies infracol etc, but the one that seem to work was the colief. We gave him that for 2 weeks continuous and then we ran out at the weekend so could'nt get more and hey presto he settled without it. He's still on aptamil and will continue using it. So it's going to be a gamble on what we feed him when if we run out when were over there. I think that dumex seems pretty popular.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bringing up this very old topic, but it is the first i have managed to find which suggests SMA baby milk to be available in Thailand, we are moving shortly and the wife is already considering sending over crates of the stuff from UK, could anybody please confirm if SMA is infact still available?

Cheers

• 3 months later...