Question regarding a tourist evisa...

I'm a Brit who has been in and out of Thailand for the last 14 months. Mostly on a 30 entry stamps. 

Up until August '23 when I got a 60 day  tourist evisa. I didn't extend it when it ran out on Sept 29, instead I came to Cambodia and I want to apply for another 60 day single entry tourist visa while I'm here, to re-enter Thailand on 28 October (I will have been out of Thailand for 1 month)

My question is will they give me another tourist visa, considering my history?

Thanks for any help

Bill

Your thread title suggests you intend to apply for an e-visa. That is officially not allowed unless you are in home country. The application might still succeed.

If applying for a tourist visa, instead, at the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh, it is hard to assess your chances. It appears that you have no prior tourist visas issued in the region (which counts in your favour) but a lot of time recently in Thailand as a tourist (which counts against you). You may or may not be issued with your visa.

Applying in Vientiane (where you need an appointment) would give a much higher chance of success.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

.....I didn't extend it when it ran out on Sept 29, instead I came to Cambodia and I want to apply for another 60 day single entry tourist visa while I'm here,.......

Have you previously obtained a SETV from PP? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Your thread title suggests you intend to apply for an e-visa. That is officially not allowed unless you are in home country. The application might still succeed.

If applying for a tourist visa, instead, at the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh, it is hard to assess your chances. It appears that you have no prior tourist visas issued in the region (which counts in your favour) but a lot of time recently in Thailand as a tourist (which counts against you). You may or may not be issued with your visa.

Applying in Vientiane (where you need an appointment) would give a much higher chance of success.

Okay, my last evisa was obtained while I was back in UK for a month

i didn’t know you had to be in your home country to get it though. I do recall a question on the form asking my present location but no info on where I can/can’t apply from

i don’t want to lie on the form. I’ll be arriving by bus from Siem Reap!

perhaps my best option then is in person from the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh?

One of the questions on the eVisa website requires you to upload all of the pages in your passport showing your foreign travel for the last year... Given you will have alot of in and out travel and no indication you have returned to your home country your chances might not be too good..

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BKKKevin said:

One of the questions on the eVisa website requires you to upload all of the pages in your passport showing your foreign travel for the last year... Given you will have alot of in and out travel and no indication you have returned to your home country your chances might not be too good..

What would be my chances of taking a flight back to Bangkok rather than the bus and getting a permission to stay for another 30 days? Any ideas?

Cheers

4 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

What would be my chances of taking a flight back to Bangkok rather than the bus and getting a permission to stay for another 30 days? Any ideas?

Cheers

If you went with that option, one idea would be to fly PP to CNX

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Is there an advantage flying into Chiang Mai rather than Bangkok? 

There certainly was in 2019 when Bangkok airports were refusing entries for folk with extensive history.

@BritTim often suggested CNX for some folk.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

I’ll be arriving by bus from Siem Reap!

I hope you do not plan on entering through the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing. It is the only crossing where you might encounter a problem entering with an actual tourist visa.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Cheers

You have been gaming the system for 14 months so it's basically a crap shoot whatever you do... 

On 10/7/2023 at 6:23 PM, BKKKevin said:

This is no longer required (I got my SETV evisa last month). However, the other documents (like flight ticket to Thailand, bank statements in the UK) would make it impossible to legitimately obtain an evisa while out of your home country.

On 10/7/2023 at 7:48 PM, BillStrangeOgre said:

Cheers

I was pulled aside at BKK and it was no big deal. You just fill in a form, show 20,000 in cash, your booked accommodation and a flight ticket back to your home country and tell the immigration officer your plans and you're in.

5 hours ago, JayClay said:

Why?

Well if you were in Cambodia planning to travel straight to Bangkok, what would be the purpose of the UK to Thailand flight? You're supposed to upload the actual ticket that will take you into Thailand. And for the bank statements, if you've been out of Thailand for 15 months there may be no transactions in the UK which may raise a red flag.

I'm sure it's possible to get an evisa but you'd have to lie and give the impression you were currently in the UK, hence my statement it's impossible to legitimately obtain an evisa while in Cambodia.

Edited by edwardandtubs

4 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Well if you were in Cambodia planning to travel straight to Bangkok, what would be the purpose of the UK to Thailand flight? You're supposed to upload the actual ticket that will take you into Thailand. And for the bank statements, if you've been out of Thailand for 15 months there may be no transactions in the UK which may raise a red flag.

Why would the flight have to originate from the UK? There's nothing to say that Thailand needs to be the first stop on your travels.

Even if it did need to be from the UK you could always buy a ticket from the UK to Thailand and then get a refund or change your destination.

I wouldn't imagine that there are many people who don't make any transactions in their home country while travelling but, again, why would a traveller need to proove that they're spending money in their home country?

4 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I'm sure it's possible to get an evisa but you'd have to lie and give the impression you were currently in the UK, hence my statement it's impossible to legitimately obtain an evisa while in Cambodia.

I'm not debating that. I just don't think that the documents that you listed as being potentially problematic would actually be so.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Why would the flight have to originate from the UK? There's nothing to say that Thailand needs to be the first stop on your travels.

Even if it did need to be from the UK you could always buy a ticket from the UK to Thailand and then get a refund or change your destination.

I wouldn't imagine that there are many people who don't make any transactions in their home country while travelling but, again, why would a traveller need to proove that they're spending money in their home country?

I'm not debating that. I just don't think that the documents that you listed as being potentially problematic would actually be so.

You have to declare yourself as resident in the UK. If your documents suggest that this is not the case then I think that would be problematic. I have seen no reports of someone using a ticket from Phnom Penh to successfully obtain an evisa from the London embassy.

The OP has said he doesn't want to to lie to obtain an evisa so he's obviously not going to declare himself as resident in the UK when he's been out of the UK for 15 months. If someone wants to use dodgy documents then they might get away with it but if their entry is closely scrutinised by an IO and it's noticed they've abused the evisa system then that could be extremely problematic.

Edited by edwardandtubs

The OP should not apply for METV if not in the UK at time of application.

eVisa was poorly introduced.

In the old days you could obtain a triple entry visa from nearby consulates.

That was discontinued and METV introduced.

The requirement was had to been obtained in passport country or country where you had permanent resident status.

As usual ...many folk started  looking for loop holes.

Edited by DrJack54