Any one visited an Elephant Sanctuary.

tomgreen

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but here goes.

I have some friends from England visiting in a few months and they have asked if I could take them to see some elephants at an elephant sanctuary. They are not interested in places where the elephants are used as rides , or chained up. 

They are coming to stay with me at my home in Korat , so locations far off like Chang Mai / Phuket  are due to the distance and time restrictions , not really an option. 

I have thought about taking my friends to Khao Yai National Park , but it could be a hit or miss if we would see any elephants .

So I’m wondering if any one here could suggest an elephant sanctuary .

Thanks

Tom

• Like 1

https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Elephant+Observatory+Site,+Kui+Buri+National+Park/@12.0950278,99.6015656,12z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x30fc3b9b67f2961d:0xe342fa81b61485af!8m2!3d12.1386662!4d99.6467152!16s%2Fg%2F11bwl1ts7w?hl=fr&entry=ttu 

you are almost sure to see elefants in natural environment in this park

rangers always follow herds and they will send u at the place with pickup car

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2023 at 2:12 PM, tomgreen said:

to stay with me at my home in Korat

Maybe this cente near you may be of interest:-

Thai Elephants Center for Conservation - TECC

AddressGCQ2+GQ8, Mu Si, Pak Chong District, Nakhon Ratchasima 30130, Thailand
    Hours
    Open ⋅ Closes 5 PM

I have only visited Khao Yai National Park to see elephants in the wild. I have never visited the above Center.
    It is shown on Google Maps, so may be make a visit before your friends arrive. Enjoy.

Photo

Photo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villerupt said:

https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Elephant+Observatory+Site,+Kui+Buri+National+Park/@12.0950278,99.6015656,12z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x30fc3b9b67f2961d:0xe342fa81b61485af!8m2!3d12.1386662!4d99.6467152!16s%2Fg%2F11bwl1ts7w?hl=fr&entry=ttu 

you are almost sure to see elefants in natural environment in this park

rangers always follow herds and they will send u at the place with pickup car

Totally agree. I have been to Kui Buri National Park and whilst I only saw 3 elephants it was a fantastic experience and a really enjoyable trip.

We spent the afternoon being driven around in an open-topped truck with a guide and a driver. The guide often got out of the truck and went up observation towers to spot the elephants.

We also spent time sat near a lake and watching an elephant come to drink at the lake was really special. 

Seeing even only one elephant in its natural environment beats seeing dozens in captivity - well it does for me. I have visited several elephant parks in different parts of Thailand so speak from personal experience. 

Khao Yai National Park would be my choice where I understand they offer a night Safari or a guided walk. 

Edited by skorts
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

Chiang Mai Elephant Nature Park
This place, in Chiang Mai is legitimate: https://www.elephantnaturepark.org/
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_Nature_Park
I and my Thai wife visited Elephant Nature Park. Expensive, but consider as donation. The elephants are mostly old, many with medical issues. This place is a sanctuary, they are all rescue elephants, or sponsored by donations. For example someone can buy an elephant and have it transported there and pay for its care. Every elephant has a handler, a mahout, who watches it all day, cares for it, and sometimes guides it to where it should be. They don't use hooks or anything else that might hurt. Sometimes the elephants are stubborn, and do what they want. There are a few baby elephants, because the mother rescue elephants were pregnant. It is hard to know when an elephant is pregnant, so they slipped in, because the previous owners would probably hold on to the mothers for the valuable babies if they knew they were pregnant. All of the elephants are "domesticated" mostly from the timber industry, later the tourist industry. None are wild, and most could not survive in the wild on their own after a lifetime of bondage, also many are old and sick and need a lot of care. Most are old, some older than me. Most are female, for various reasons. Any elephant here is very lucky! About 115 total. They could handle maybe 20 more or so, if they could get them. They rely on donations. Each guest pays about $100, and I estimate there were maybe 100 guests this day, which is not enough to care for 100 elephants. Guests aren't allowed to touch the elephants. Except one very old one our guide said doesn't mind. But a curious young elephant touched my hand when I was posing for a picture with my wife. Elephants can be very quiet. Guests were often surprised by elephant coming up from behind. Best to get out of the way!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, passiflora said:

Maerim elephants sanctuary 

Maerim Elephant Sanctuary
+66 99 243 9111

https://g.co/kgs/Kuouwo

I had an excellent remembrance 

Elephants have sad histories and stay there in peace with respect

Visitors will feed them, and bath in themud

At midday you will eat your own noddle soup kthay teach you how to prepare) 

At the end of the day a little pool party with a drink

A little bit expensive but all the benefits go to the elephants 

Thank you for sharing

I scrolled through the pictures a it looks like a very nice place, though I am not sure if I would go in the water with them LOL

I wish I knew of it when we drove to Chiang Mai a few months ago. We will look for it next time we go.  :smile:

The Chiang Mai one above is well-regarded. They have a 2 day package with river rafting and wearing hill tribe clothes for a cooking class, so a total all-rounder.

2 rave reviews from people who did it. I'd rather poke my own eye with a stick.

This topic is beaten to death on other forums, so do a search.

Edited by Prubangboy