Foreign Man Suffers Serious Head Injuries in Pattaya Traffic Accident

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya — A 66-year-old foreigner of unknown nationality fell off his motorbike and knocked his head on the road in Pattaya, resulting in serious injuries. The incident occurred when the victim abruptly applied the brakes after seeing a car reversing onto the road ahead of him, according to the car driver.

The accident was reported to the Sawang Boriboon Thammasathan Foundation at 9 PM on October 8th. Upon receiving the notification, the foundation promptly dispatched rescuers to the scene, which was located on Phonprapanimit Road in the Nongprue sub-district of Banglamung district, Chonburi province.

There, the rescue team found a red Yamaha Fino motorcycle with a Chonburi license plate fallen in the middle of the road. The bike was slightly damaged. Not far from it was parked a sedan, which was driven by an unidentified foreigner, who was waiting at the scene.

Additionally, the rescue team encountered another foreign national, the motorbike driver, identified by Pattaya Police as Mr. Bashford George Ongard, aged 66, who was found lying on the road.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-10-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

But But I paid my 300b :cheesy:

300? That must be the basic coverage, I pay 600 per year and get 30,000b coverage.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Any health insurance is worthless without a helmet

So if no helmet, the insurance companies won't pay out?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

correct. even if found laying near you.

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

definitely not, don't forget, any excuse they can find to deny claim they will

I disagree, my Thai wife (who does not like to wear a helmet) recently went to the local 7-11; a car popped out in front of her and she took a tumble on the motorbike to avoid a collision, she chipped her front tooth (along with a few abrasions), the car took off without giving any information, she spoke with the insurance company and they covered her hospital and dental bills and gave her a 30,000b limit.

And when I asked about her 30b medical coverage, she said they will bill the motorbike insurance company first, if we didn't have motorbike insurance, she would have only received the most basic care (no dental crown).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bbko said:

I disagree, my Thai wife (who does not like to wear a helmet) recently went to the local 7-11; a car popped out in front of her and she took a tumble on the motorbike to avoid a collision, she chipped her front tooth (along with a few abrasions), the car took off without giving any information, she spoke with the insurance company and they covered her hospital and dental bills and gave her a 30,000b limit.

And when I asked about her 30b medical coverage, she said they will bill the motorbike insurance company first, if we didn't have motorbike insurance, she would have only received the most basic care (no dental crown).

All well and good, but they don't know she wasn't wearing a helmet. EMS were not involved.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

another foreign national, the motorbike driver, identified by Pattaya Police as Mr. Bashford George Ongard, aged 66

Interesting. Ongard is a Thai name.

But George Bashford is english.

He looks full Thai, but maybe not. 

Educated in England. Maybe he is a step kid, English father met Thai mother in pattaya. Now he is back living in Pattaya.

Get well soon George. 

Wear a helmet next time eh.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

All well and good, but they don't know she wasn't wearing a helmet. EMS were not involved.  

Wow, I didn't realize you were in on the call with her to the insurance company, 555. For the record she supplied the insurance company with a CCTV video of the accident.

27 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

ok don't wear a helmet with health insurance and let us know what happens. You seem to have missed all those stories of tourists crashing on their bikes.

Let us know what your policy doc says

I'm just stating what happened with my wife and her accident; no helmet and she was still covered for the hospital and dental bills.  This is from actual interactions, not being a arm-chair insurance agent.

5 minutes ago, bbko said:

Wow, I didn't realize you were in on the call with her to the insurance company, 555. For the record she supplied the insurance company with a CCTV video of the accident.

I'm just stating what happened with my wife and her accident; no helmet and she was still covered for the hospital and dental bills.  This is from actual interactions, not being a arm-chair insurance agent.

Stupid health insurance company then, usually they will use a get out if possible, your wife was lucky not smart. If you're talking about motorbike insurance that's different 

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RochelleW said:

Please stop commenting.  This man is my dad! Please have some decency.   He is Thai for those questioning but moved to the UK as a teen and moved back on retirement, not that it is anyone's business!   Please keep your pointless, uninformed comment's to yourself.    

I hope your dad recovers from this.

But this is an open forum and you cant control what people  post.

that is up to the moderators.

But please feel free to provide more factual information, as to what happened and under what exact circumstances he was injured.

Edited by quake

17 hours ago, brianthainess said:

correct. even if found laying near you. Same no license M/C no insurance

You're wrong, actually. 

A mate had no license and was involved in a collision on a nice bike that had 1st class cover including bail bond, on a Friday evening. The police showed up quickly and wanted to take him to the station for the weekend, no bail until Monday. The insurance guy showed up and the police immediately left, the insurance covered everything. Some insurers may have different systems.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2023 at 5:03 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Stupid health insurance company then, usually they will use a get out if possible, your wife was lucky not smart. If you're talking about motorbike insurance that's different 

Unbelievable that these Thai companies do not consult Scuba before paying. One more thing, I hope, at least he was wearing a wicking shirt