Is a Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O) a recognized profession in Thailand?

Chris77

1 hour ago, Chris77 said:

Hi,

I wonder if this profession (D.O) is a recognized profession in Thailand? As I heard, there are some foreigners working as Doctors of Osteopathy in Thailand.

to exercise medicine in Thailand one just needs to pass the Thai medical doctor exam incl. the speciality.

It's not impossible, more than a handful of Western doctors did it.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

OK, so in the case of having issues with such a doctor, there is also no insurance that supports or covers such treatments? Worse scenario, in serious issues you will be alone, and get no support of any insurance as they are working illegally then, am I right?

21 hours ago, Chris77 said:

OK, so in the case of having issues with such a doctor, there is also no insurance that supports or covers such treatments? Worse scenario, in serious issues you will be alone, and get no support of any insurance as they are working illegally then, am I right?

Yes

Health insurance does not in any case cover "issues" with a doctor just (where applicable) treatment costs.  If you mean malpractice insurance indeed they will not have it but then neither do many MDs in Thailand.  Malpractice suits sre uncommon here. 

OK, I already thought that. I am a bit surprised how someone can work abroad in a country where their profession doesn't even exist, and it becomes illegal then. Anyway, it doesn't really give a familiar or serious impression if someone works illegally in a medical environment. Just hope there are some with a Thai medicine license, and not all are without!

Thank you

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, Chris77 said:

OK, I already thought that. I am a bit surprised how someone can work abroad in a country where their profession doesn't even exist, and it becomes illegal then. Anyway, it doesn't really give a familiar or serious impression if someone works illegally in a medical environment. Just hope there are some with a Thai medicine license, and not all are without!

Thank you

With a degree from a DO program I do not think one can take the Thai medical exam. 

For a foreigner to work as a medical doctor in Thailand, they must ensure that they possess a valid medical license from their home country, confirm that their degree is from an institution recognized by the Thai Medical Council, and successfully complete a three-step exam. Proficiency in Thai is also required.

Provided if in the hands of a well qualified and also talented osteo or physio...(yes there is also a portion of talent that helps in such treatments) ....so if in the hands of such a valuable practitioner, it often enables to avoid costly and useless operations or long term medication that can end up in causing other internal issues or sometimes damage.

I

In years past in my home country there was a distinction by regulation made between  Chiropractic and Osteopath.  Nether was  recognized as a valid health  treatment for social health subsidies. In fact it was illegal for an Osteopath to advertise services unless it was  coupled n with Naturopathy.

A Chiropractor by  contrast was required to be registered as a professional health service despite  not  qualified for subsidies.

For those who went to the trouble of  investigating  Chiropractors were  mostly trained  in American schools of discipline and Osteopaths in the UK . Clinical approach differed but spinal/joint manipulation was similar.

One fundamental difference was that Chiropractors would  generally refuse to touch a new  patient until xray examination demonstrated no abnormalities that could cause  issues.

Never did ever discover how Osteopaths covered that issue. But after suffering a whiplash injury in Nepal on a bone breaker bus I did consult a female English Osteopath on subsequent arrival in the UK. Having given a reason for why I was seeking treatment I was asked if any xrays were taken anywhere previously to establish no possible fractures of upper spinal joints she was  cautiously happy to perform a short  but effective adjustment that brought almost instantaneous  relief to my  problem. The man who also cut hair in Kathmandu had  made an attempt but had quickly conceded his skills were insufficient. I did not  ever  regret the $2 I gave him any more or less the  75 UK Pounds I gave her for her 10 minutes of  conversation  and 30 seconds of  "adjustment" for the relief attempted  or provided !

BUt in more direct  reference to the question the OP presents is that I have noticed that over the last  couple of decades in Thailand that Chiropractic services have at times been advertised or promoted  but Osteopathic?  Never yet seen but that does not infer does not  exist.

But illegal, should it really be like this?

If these guys are as good as described, then doing that nostrification should not be that hard.

The process is the same as in the USA or Europe. If someone wants to move to another country and work there, he has to go through that process to get the necessary certificate to work there legally.

It should be respected; otherwise, there are all medical professions working in Thailand without any recognition of their profession, like nurse, dentist, therapist, pharmacist, etc.

In the medical field, it should be even more important.

Anyway, I found that post that also described this process.

https://www.thailand.go.th/issue-focus-detail/007_035

On 10/13/2023 at 7:07 PM, Chris77 said:

It sounds like a regular process, just like any other medicine profession, once you want to work abroad and get a job. Nostrification, work permission, etc.

So, there is a way.

Not for a DO graduate since this profession is not recognized in Thailand and such a program woukd mot be recognized by the Thai Medical Council.

For a graduate of a conventional medical school, possible if completely fluent in Thai.  The (timed) written qualifying exam is in Thai.