dehumidifier

jvs

I am posting this here because i think it may reach more people,if not allowed

please move it,thank you.

We have two rooms in the house that during this season are smelly/moldy.

For sure it is moisture and i want to do something about it.

Looking for a dehumidifier to tackle this problem.

Is there any brand you can recommend or any pointers?

Not looking for an industrial big machine but something that will work ok.

12 minutes ago, jvs said:

Open all windows and doors, get a fan to create an airflow. Should sort it out in a week.

If there is an aircon fitted, there should be a de-humidify setting on that.

To get rid of the smell and mould, get the Mrs to move out   5555   Joking!

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 2

Just now, KannikaP said:

Open all windows and doors, get a fan to create an airflow. Should sort it out in a week.

We have been doing that already and it does not do the trick.

Never no direct sunshine in there but always the coolest part of the house.

1 minute ago, jvs said:

We have been doing that already and it does not do the trick.

Never no direct sunshine in there but always the coolest part of the house.

I shall keep on thinking then.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Trippy said:

I have 2 dehumidifiers for sale. I used them for about 8 months when I had an indoor garden. They work great, have a drain and a tank. 2,000 baht each, they are identical to the ad.

https://shopee.sg/SONGJING-SJ-121E-12L-Day-Dehumidifier-Up-to-12-month-SG-Warranty-3-pin-SG-Plug-i.10233884.4641880747

That's the kind I'd buy.  I have one at a beach house in Texas and it pulls gallons of moisture out every day.  More on the first few days I ran it, but it still pulls out way too much moisture for me to use any of the chemical desiccants.  Also, watch out for the small ones that pull out less than a liter a day.  They're cheap so they're appealing, but the one I bought is only good for a closet sized enclosed space.  Worthless for any open spaces.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Trippy said:

I have 2 dehumidifiers for sale. I used them for about 8 months when I had an indoor garden. They work great, have a drain and a tank. 2,000 baht each, they are identical to the ad.

https://shopee.sg/SONGJING-SJ-121E-12L-Day-Dehumidifier-Up-to-12-month-SG-Warranty-3-pin-SG-Plug-i.10233884.4641880747

Thank you for the offer,i will keep this in mind.

• Like 1

I bought this one that claimed to be 90watts (admittedly not a big one) but it was actually only 60 watts consumption as measured so their claims for certains size rooms are also suspect.  Supplier was nice enough, offered a price reduction but I couldnt be bothered. Liars.

It worked to a degree given the fairly low humidity and confident would be much better in L.O.S.   Internally the same principle as the cheap camping coolers and use one thermo electric peltier device.  One other supplier of same type even claimed to be a compresor type, same price, same liars.

Now my seller below posts "sale ended", but beware.. there were other ads for this same unit. Just need two units instead of one for every large room? try two first?  and you could be happy. Gives humidity/temp readings.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/314197720360

s-l1600.jpg

The unit recommended by two posts above look good if they actually are 2000 baht,  but being only 555mm high and looking taller than the bed is more lies.   At least Trippy is happy with them and their 10.5 kg packaged weight suggests quality internals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pest said:

Just run an A/c They do the same thing

So true "P"  but even with a nice Coeffient Of Performance, air/con cost more to run versus  a fan to sleep and a quiet 100watt dehumidifier in each of the 2 rooms he referred to.

JVS might need to do the sums hey.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 9:02 AM, jvs said:

Try this link:

Home Dehumidifier ราคาถูก ซื้อออนไลน์ที่ - ต.ค. 2023 | Lazada.co.th

• Thanks 2

On 10/11/2023 at 9:02 AM, jvs said:

My air conditioners have a setting on the remote symbolized by water drop(s). This is the setting I usually have on any time the Air conditioner is used. It acts as the dehumidifier and, if I recall correctly, uses less electric than the snowflake air conditioner setting.

• Like 2

Your walls are sucking up water from outside? There might be a leak of water to your (roof?) walls, do the walls feel damp? You maybe see spots indicating water is the trouble maker?

Water is collected in that part of the house under the floor?

Paint is old or wrong and/or poreus? So wall can absorb moist? 

A fan (like a bathroom model) in the wall or ceiling can suck out moist air and blow it out of the house, you will have circulation of air in the room.

Drying is another thing, as Thai air is 80% of moist, so not so dry.

Then only a airco is the thing. With Peltier elements, ok no compressor, silent?

However one side of Peltier is cold and the other side hot. And hot needs to be cooled down again with probably little fans. And they also like power very much to work and then where is the water going to, guess a tank to be emptied regular depending on quantity of moist.

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

one side of Peltier is cold and the other side hot. And hot needs to be cooled down again with probably little fans. And they also like power very much to work and then where is the water going to, guess a tank to be emptied regular depending on quantity of moist.

No, No, No and No.    1. A big bathroom type fan may remove humid air from the inside but will suck in potetially equally humid air from the outside,   2.  the cold side of a peltier roughly equals the hot side so there's little net gain in heat,  3. the small fan uses VERY little power and  4. an alternative tube is usually provided to drain water to another big bucket nearby.

Edited by Jing Joe
correction
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jing Joe said:

Wrog wrong and wrong. The cold side equals the hot side so no net gain in heat. The small fan uses VERY little power and an alternative tube is usually provided to drain water to another big bucket nearby.

... sort of almost there...  with a Peltier Cell, there is created a temperature difference between the Ceramic sides, that could easily reach a 60C difference between the plates surfaces...

One side is 'colder' or 'hotter' than the other substrate side depending on the Value and polarity of the DC applied to the Cell's wiring. 

For the 'colder' side there must be airflow to dissipate that 'colder' air to the enclosure you want 'cooled' 

If you managed to achieve say a 10degC breeze, then the 'hotter' side will be lets say 60degC 'hotter' than whatever the 'colder' side got down to...

This is important to realise, in that if it turned out your 'cooler' side ends up measured  sitting at something higher say still at 35c, then expect the 'hotter' side substrate to be experiencing 95degC at this same time.

Peltiers are rather inefficient, and there will actually be an overall 'increase' of the total environment temperature

Peltier Cells overall must never be allowed to exceed the Max Temp specs of the particular Peltier Cell. Always keep in mind that one side of the Cell is always the approx 60degC hotter/cooler than the other relatively... 

An albeit expensive demo of this would be if after the Cell has been operating for some time, and you were to swap the polarity of the Cell; that destruction can soon follow... 

In practice this reperesents when you have say a peltier Esky that has a Switch for swapping between its Oven Warming Foods mode to Cooling Drinks mode...    A techo description of this is that the inside plate of the Esky might have reached its 70C desired food warming temp, with the outside currently sitting at say 10decC or near depending on room temperature (assuming a 60degC difference for simplicity purposes)

NOW, if you hit the Switch, the Inside Plate currently at 70degC and is the slower surface to change temperature... concurrently the Outside plate which was initially at near room temperature, quickly jumps in temperature to restore a new 60degC difference hotter than the Inner plate... This in effect forces that outer plate to quickly approach a self destructive temperature of approx 130degC... 

With a peltier device, the side of the peltier that dissipates the heat away, needs really to be fan force vented to outside of the room/enclosure you are in, rather like what is needed for a portable AC unit on wheels

21 hours ago, Jing Joe said:

No, No, No and No.    1. A big bathroom type fan may remove humid air from the inside but will suck in potetially equally humid air from the outside,   2.  the cold side of a peltier roughly equals the hot side so there's little net gain in heat,  3. the small fan uses VERY little power and  4. an alternative tube is usually provided to drain water to another big bucket nearby.

With the fan sucking out, you create airflow. Of course if the supplied air would be real dry, the room really gets drier.

But if you dont have circulation at all, the room can be saturated with moist (100%) If you vent with 80 %, you win some. Maybe just enough to not have fungus or smelly damp. It seems from 70-100% is lovely for fungus and having higher temperatures is also a good benefit for them.

But there are 2 rooms in a specific area of the house causing problems in rainy season. So could be a water problem as i described.

Yes, maybe low powered fans are sufficient to blow hot air away in open space. However your room could get warmer. I agree with tifino.

With the larger the Peltier, the more fans you need and besides the Peltiers are working on DC and use some amps/device.

So also the power supply will add to heat up the room.

Forget I brought up the Peltiers to de-moisturize the room.

I just checked if they were really there, but not really showing in sales.

In fact just 1 to be sold and doing 0.6 ltr/DAY.

There for not effective then in room de moisturizing?!