Are hospitals required by law to provide cost estimate to patients before surgery ?

Searat7

What ha

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

If such a requirement exists, it could be void if the patient is a emergency situation and unconscious.

Not to mention the racket in all private hospitals in Bangkok and all over the world I may say, where money comes far before any interests of the patient.

What happens if you don't pay or don't have the money?

14 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

If the tourism department wants to do something useful then make medical insurance mandatory for travelers. They can have a online kiosk or booth at the airport like some other countries do. This would save a lot of heart ache.

Government regulated to provide treatment in Government hospitals. With a choice of insurance for treatment in private hospitals too. Question would be what happens to tourists who have been reckless e.g. riding hired motos without licence or helmet or taking an alcohol/substance fuelled dive off hotel balconies?  

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I need gall bladder removal. Went online after reading that India was cheaper. NO! Twice the price of my local Government University Hospital, who ask that I deposit Bht 50k before the job, and I should get some of that back. Plus flight, visa and hotel in India. 

University Hospital in Pits is very good, our niece is at Uni. there so a regular visitor

• Thanks 2

I’ve had several operations in Chiangmai Ram Hospital, which is a private hospital. They always give me an estimate as I recall I had a hernia operation similar to yours belly. Stayed there a few days as I recall I think it was around 180 I always ask for an estimate at for that to get pre-authorization from my insurance company. I’ve never had any problems TIT.

18 hours ago, mania said:

That is actually quite amazing in Thailand

Because the first question any Thai hospital has before they do anything is ....How are you going to pay?

A friend works for the largest insurer here, the stories she tells, how everyone's eyes alight with greed as soon as the level of insurance is disclosed. She has seen them drop what they were holding, usually a standard schedule for treatment, grab a quick chat with admin, and come back with a whole new regime of pre-op tests that are in no way related to the problem. It's so accepted that nobody says anything.

It's a feedback loop, everyone is trying to shaft everyone else.   and not in the good way

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1