Are hospitals required by law to provide cost estimate to patients before surgery ?

Searat7

The greed claws came out at bbk hospital Khon kaen early this year. Pre op procedure and estimate from doctor all changed once the limits of my insurance were noted. Broken leg tibia, 2 procedures first reset bone then go home come back 2 weeks to install a metal plate. Next day that changed, you must stay here for the 2 weeks cannot go home. Oh so what has changed? Nothing but $$ 

About 1 million total.

See my other post above. It's regarding the redux of prior fix on broken leg. Now 3 surgeries broken tibia 1.1+

• Sad 2

to say you got ripped off is an understatement

3 weeks ago i had inguinal hernia repair at Hua Hin Government hospital.

I was in for 2 nights, VIP single room, food, meds, nurses, everything...........19,000 baht.

I had open repair.

I shopped around big time before choosing which hospital

all the private hospitals would give me an estimation, then ask me to sign a disclaimer stating, but if this, but if that.........etc..........i walked away each time......could see through them easily.

nearest quote i could get was 100k, but if, bla bla bla

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Phitsanulok Thailand!

Shorthand is PLok, not Pits. ????

19 hours ago, Bill97 said:

OP did not get estimate before operation which he should have.  His mistake and now he blames others.  

No law to protect people who do not have common sense.

Bit harsh. Yes, op should have ensured estimate before undergoing knife, but, even if you obtain one, it’s  not a guarantee that you won’t be ripped. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bill97 said:

OP did not get estimate before operation which he should have.  His mistake and now he blames others.  

No law to protect people who do not have common sense.

Nurse told him he would get one

7 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

Many foreigners do NOT know that they can use a Thai Military Hospital once you are registered at THAT hospital. Many doctors are US or UK trained, English is usually not a problem.  COST: you pay the SAME cost as Thai civilians using the military hospitals.  It is slightly more expensive than govt civilian hospitals, way way less than a private hospital.

Got a list of them in Bkk area?

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I know its difficult to name... but which hosptial ???....   somethinggrad, somethingvej, somethingkok? 

Any procedure my Wife and I have had at Hosptials in Bangkok have all required pre-authorisation from insurance and thus a cost estimate was provided (the final costs usually being below this). 

So.. its very strange that they hospital failed on this.

Additionally, you are quite right, the cost seems extremely excessive for what is a relatively simple procedure.

A recent procedure (knee arthroscopy) was estimated to cost 360,000 baht at Bumrungrad, the actual cost was about 60,000 baht less than the estimate. 

QUOTE:  "I know its difficult to name... but which hosptial ???....   somethinggrad, somethingvej, somethingkok? 

I guess many meembers will get your point.

If the OP did go that hospital then WHY?

The place is well known to have outrageous charges.

Plenty of options.

19 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, especially when they have to wake up an unconscious one and ask them if they agree ????

I asked a major private hospital one time for an estimate of cost for appendix operation, the nurse took 20 mins to come back to me with the answer, "it is up to the doctor" 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

With respect to the OP's question, I'm doubtful there are many consumer protection laws here in Thailand (that either exist or are actually followed) that require doctors or hospitals to advise of all costs ahead of time.  Prices for any procedure here are typically far below prices in the west and, should the cost be a relatively important concern to anybody, asking the doctor or hospital ahead of time isn't that hard to do.

Yet, I just had hernia surgery last week at Chiangmai RAM hospital and they told me (without my asking) the range of expected cost days ahead of time (and the final cost was at the low end of the range given). No complaints from me (was second hernia surgery I've had at CM RAM and thought they treated me well and fairly both times). 

• Thanks 1

Remember, of course, that an estimate from a hospital is like one from a car mechanic.  It's just an "estimate," and it's not unusual to have the bill come in higher due to the problem "turning out to be more complicated....", etc.).  My wife and I go to 2 different private hospitals in BKK for different issues.  One of them has proven much more reliable in their estimates.  I won't name them for obvious legal reasons, but it's good to try to research a hospital's reputation when it comes to estimates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

I was in for 2 nights, VIP single room, food, meds, nurses, everything...........19,000 baht.

I had open repair.

all the private hospitals would give me an estimation, then ask me to sign a disclaimer stating, but if this, but if that.........etc..........i walked away each time......could see through them easily.

I had same (open repair) + mesh in 2000 in U.K. under NHS. All went well AFAIK and no problems since. Not pleasant on a large 'Nightingale' style ward. Guys shouting out random thoughts all night, others saying; 'shut up'. Female nurse yelling; 'show some compassion, he's very ill'. Male nurse (ex parachute regiment) panicking running up and down the ward when a patients drain came out. Definitely worth paying for a private room! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

I had open repair.

Had my inguinal hernia op at Si Samrong government hospital last year and that cost close to 19000 baht including five nights. Am ready for another hernia op and will have no problems going back to a government hospital again. But I will get an estimate from Rajavej hospital as that will be more convenient.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

With respect to the OP's question, I'm doubtful there are many consumer protection laws here in Thailand (that either exist or are actually followed) that require doctors or hospitals to advise of all costs ahead of time.  Prices for any procedure here are typically far below prices in the west and, should the cost be a relatively important concern to anybody, asking the doctor or hospital ahead of time isn't that hard to do.

Yet, I just had hernia surgery last week at Chiangmai RAM hospital and they told me (without my asking) the range of expected cost days ahead of time (and the final cost was at the low end of the range given). No complaints from me (was second hernia surgery I've had at CM RAM and thought they treated me well and fairly both times). 

Is it too much to ask you how much you paid for the hernia op?

2 minutes ago, keithkarmann said:

Had my inguinal hernia op at Si Samrong government hospital last year and that cost close to 19000 baht including five nights. Am ready for another hernia op and will have no problems going back to a government hospital again. But I will get an estimate from Rajavej hospital as that will be more convenient.

Interesting, mine was on the left. Does that mean I'm susceptible to same again on the right?

23 hours ago, Don Chance said:

What ha

What happens if you don't pay or don't have the money?

I always say no one can get what you haven't got. One reason why the vast majority of my money is always out side of Thailand.

I have an estimate of 200k/300k to remove a cancerous thyroid, at Bangkok hospital, I also have an option to have it done at Suan Dok/Maharaj but I don't have a figure for that yet. The surgeon works out of Sriphat which is the semi private arm of Suan Dok, can anyone confirm whether the Suan Dok option is definitely cheaper?

3 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Many foreigners do NOT know that they can use a Thai Military Hospital once you are registered at THAT hospital. Many doctors are US or UK trained, English is usually not a problem.  COST: you pay the SAME cost as Thai civilians using the military hospitals.  It is slightly more expensive than govt civilian hospitals, way way less than a private hospital.

Yes, many foreign students all over the world apply to American school system for free tuition at the expense of US tax payers. Vast majority try to stay in America and few do go back to their countries, especially after making good money. Very common practice.

2 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

They investigate if you have the ability to pay first. For example if you have a visa card or not. If they deem you unable to pay they tell you to go elsewhere.

Even if it was an emergency?