How stupid is this?

Lacessit

Just now, RanongCat said:

So the  "No more rooms available " is deceptive  bull droppings ? Or is  it that  "other" hotels  chains offer incentives to stiff the small operators  ?

It means no more rooms on their site only. They dont own the hotel.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RanongCat said:

Ever cross checked that with other than Agoda ?

I was staying in a bangkok hotel tried to extend via agoda said fully booked. Walked downstairs woman said yes fully booked but wait 1 hour i let you know if cancellation. She later said yes you can have a different room.

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

BTW. if you have anti tacking enabled in your browser I think they can't see what device you use, as it hides your digital footprint

Not true. The browser user agent still indicates which OS it is and even if it didn't it would be trivial to figure out. Anti tracking is about cookies, localstorage and other ways to track users over multiple sites. Easy to see by going to for example https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

24 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

You can change the settings in Agoda so that you also get the fully inclusive price. Booking .com is that way by default. 

This is the correct answer. The same setting exists in their mobile app. If I recall correctly the setting is somewhere near where you set which currency to show.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

I was staying in a bangkok hotel tried to extend via agoda said fully booked. Walked downstairs woman said yes fully booked but wait 1 hour i let you know if cancellation. She later said yes you can have a different room.

exactly that

Booking.com has always been good for me. I always check direct hotel website, and check against my Booking.com price. Booking.com is almost always better. Apparently B.Com know my IQ - because I am a level 3 Genius - 555.  I always get free late check out and eitherv free breakfast or room upgrade.  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

The reality was that  she has  to check that in terms of contract that the "class "of  room was in excess of those  allocated to  any agency at the moment in time of  interest either  at the  front desk or  via  online  reservation/booking.

1 minute ago, RanongCat said:

The reality was that  she has  to check that in terms of contract that the "class "of  room was in excess of those  allocated to  any agency at the moment in time of  interest either  at the  front desk or  via  online  reservation/booking.

Some bookings offer free cancellation. 

11 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Booking.com has always been good for me. I always check direct hotel website, and check against my Booking.com price. Booking.com is almost always better. Apparently B.Com know my IQ - because I am a level 3 Genius - 555.  I always get free late check out and eitherv free breakfast or room upgrade.  

Free late check out is good. Im only level 1. I better get on board.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

This is an Agoda thing. I went to book a hotel in Bangkok and Agoda showed a good price until I went to pay and they added ++ taxes and service charge.

Went to Booking dot com and price was fully inclusive of all taxes so much cheaper in the end

You can change to show/view the total price in Agoda on the main page before starting to book. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mancub said:
1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

This is an Agoda thing. I went to book a hotel in Bangkok and Agoda showed a good price until I went to pay and they added ++ taxes and service charge.

Went to Booking dot com and price was fully inclusive of all taxes so much cheaper in the end

You can change to show/view the total price in Agoda on the main page before starting to book. 

Booking.com shows the price of the full stay - its the most open, but sometimes the 'deal' is slightly different and things like breakfast are or aren't offered etc when compared to similar pricing on Agoda and other platforms. 

Agoda.com shows the price per night... when logging on from within Thailand Agoda shows the price per night including taxes etc...  (caveat, for 'most hotels - its not always so).

When logging on from outside Thailand, Agoda shows the nightly price before taxes.

Confused ???...   its a bit of a PITA but we just have to be aware...  and all platforms show the full price before you pull the trigger.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Most villas on Koh Samui are advertised on AirBnb.

Most villas rent out by the day with deals for weeks or months.

Many have a 'hotel' licence .

'Legal' or not, no idea but the government/TAT know about it.

AirBnb is a commonly used platform in the major tourist areas. (I use it when booking weekend breaks.)

I wrote about condominiums; you write about Villas. Not same! 

• Haha 1

It is very simple. I see something I like, I go the payment page to see what the total is. If they add on anything other than the usual taxes, I simply click back and continue looking. 

It is a fun mission in life to continually ignore nonsense and scams. We are improving humanity by being diligent and not giving into the creeps. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agoda.com shows the price per night... when logging on from within Thailand Agoda shows the price per night including taxes etc...  (caveat, for 'most hotels - its not always so).

When logging on from outside Thailand, Agoda shows the nightly price before taxes.

Rubbish. I'm in Pattaya and Agoda showed me prices before taxes on every hotel I looked at

Edited by Pattaya57

46 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Expand  

Rubbish. I'm in Pattaya and Agoda showed me prices before taxes on every hotel I looked at

Then thats very odd....  because I had the opposite experience....

Strangely... it doenst matter where I set my VPN to now (Thailand or outside) - Agoda always lists the price per night 'After Taxes & Fees'....

As I mentioned - there's no rhyme or reason and it seems everyones experience differs... 

image.thumb.png.4b12b7ef18627c2219b362abf16e12ff.png

Then thats very odd....  because I had the opposite experience....

Strangely... it doenst matter where I set my VPN to now (Thailand or outside) - Agoda always lists the price per night 'After Taxes & Fees'....

As I mentioned - there's no rhyme or reason and it seems everyones experience differs... 

image.thumb.png.4b12b7ef18627c2219b362abf16e12ff.png

There's a setting somewhere in the Agoda ecosystem that lets you toggle between pre-tax and post-tax. I think the default is pre-tax etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:
5 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

You can change the settings in Agoda so that you also get the fully inclusive price. Booking .com is that way by default. 

This is the correct answer. The same setting exists in their mobile app. If I recall correctly the setting is somewhere near where you set which currency to show.

That answers something that has been bugging me for a few years !!!

Why sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't show the full price.

I use more than one browser....  thats clearly why, each with a different setting !!

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 21.26.46.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I start the process of booking a hotel via Agoda, in Jomtien.

My price point is 500-800 baht/night.

I find a nice looking resort, 630 baht.

When I get to the payment stage, the cost has suddenly inflated to over 1500 baht.

Various add-ons, just like the airlines.

Included is a cleaning cost of 750 baht.

The hotel management presumably pays a maid 300-400 baht a day to clean 10-20 rooms.

These clowns must think every guest came down in the last shower.

Recommendations in the area and price range welcome.

Cleaners are the least of cost but obviously you were never in business.

And if being a penny pincher, you should know booking platforms charge 20-30% too, so walk around and book.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've stopped looking for rooms in that price. Treat yourself, don't cheat yourself.

Then you dont know where to look, like most people, I guess.

Never had a issue finding a newer place with aircon and all decent facilities for that or even less. Only if i want the gym and pool its more.

or if in central bangkok, then that gets me just a normal AC room but older.

• Thanks 1

Chatting to a guy on the Pattaya bus who had booked a hotel in Bangkok on Agoda.... when he arrived it wasn't there, had not been there  or open for 3 years,  yet still taking bookings on that platform. That said, I had just left a nice hotel I had booked on that same platform and everything was fine.  Coincidentally, my place was over 2000 all in, with breakfast, his a bargain price.

Edited by jacko45k