How stupid is this?

Lacessit

18 hours ago, BenStark said:

I wouldn't want to be seen dead with an Apple product

BTW. if you have anti tacking enabled in your browser I think they can't see what device you use, as it hides your digital footprint

????

Same here, no proprietary, grossly overpriced Apple product for me.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I know many people have had positive experiences with Agoda but I now refuse them. I was cheated and lied to by them and not the hotel. 

The comment is somewhat 'throwaway' without an explanation.

We had a less than wholly positive experience a couple of years ago with an Agoda booking.

We'd booked a nice hotel in late 2020...   shortly before our stay the hotel e-mailed us that the pool and restaurant would be closed (due to covid regulations) - Pool and restaurant were operational at time of booking. The booking was non refundable. 

I cancelled the booking and asked for a refund, which was at first rejected by the property (info passed on from Agoda).

I argued 'change of contract' as alterations where made to the facilities which were available at the time of booking.

Agoda agreed to the refund and offered 'Agoda-cash'... 

I rejected and pointed out that I didn't make the purchase with Agoda cash and thus expect the refund directly to method of payment. 

Agoda agreed and refunded... But, it was an unnecessary hassle and something that should have been resolved, instantly, professionally and without the back and forth which just irritated a customer. 

That is just one semi-negative experience on an otherwise very handy platform that delivers for the customer every time (nearly).

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A lot of the sites price based on your location. 

I'm often overseas and the Wife and I look for hotels for a break etc...  (agoda / booking.com etc)

Sometimes from overseas its cheaper.

I have been a member of expedia Australia a long time and and have lived Thailand 10 years. Often check prices locally and find expedia.au is often cheaper. Sometimes not. Same with local flights.

Just now, Trippy said:

Oh ok, everybody has their own preferences. Personally, I do almost everything to do with the net on my laptop, the screen on my phone is just too small for my old eyes.

Laptops dont fit into pockets. I could be on a bus, pull out phone book a hotel.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ricklev said:

It is not illegal to stay in a condo under 30 days although it may be illegal but is almost completely unenforced to own and rent out a condominium for under 30 days. 

So using Airbnb to find a place to stay for any period of time is completely and absolutely legal.

Using Airbnb to find people to stay in your property may be illegal, but it is not enforced. 

It is more and more enforced. Because residents like me, who live in a condominium, don't want tourists which should stay in hotels.

Our condominium management and security doesn't enforce the rules all the time, but they get better at it, because more and more of the people who actually live there complain. 

And that is a trend all over the world. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

This is an Agoda thing. I went to book a hotel in Bangkok and Agoda showed a good price until I went to pay and they added ++ taxes and service charge.

Went to Booking dot com and price was fully inclusive of all taxes so much cheaper in the end

Booking dot com is so much better than Agoda; only problems with Agoda..... Never use them again, EVER!

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I start the process of booking a hotel via Agoda, in Jomtien.

My price point is 500-800 baht/night.

I find a nice looking resort, 630 baht.

When I get to the payment stage, the cost has suddenly inflated to over 1500 baht.

Various add-ons, just like the airlines.

Included is a cleaning cost of 750 baht.

The hotel management presumably pays a maid 300-400 baht a day to clean 10-20 rooms.

These clowns must think every guest came down in the last shower.

Recommendations in the area and price range welcome.

Something here does not add up.  Which hotel?

4 minutes ago, pomchop said:

I have used agoda for many years and have booked dozens of hotels via them.  Never had a hint of a problem and always found their prices and payment/cancellation policies clearly stated and most often cheapest of various sites. 

I have had friends complain when they DID NOT READ the terms and then got hit with a cancellation fee because they booked a non refundable room.....and then of course they scream they got ripped off.

You need to be at least awake when booking! Some deals are pay in full now, others they take the card payment nearer the time and others pay to the hotel when you arrive. Fortunately, always been able to work around any last minute unavoidable changes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I start the process of booking a hotel via Agoda, in Jomtien.

My price point is 500-800 baht/night.

I find a nice looking resort, 630 baht.

When I get to the payment stage, the cost has suddenly inflated to over 1500 baht.

Various add-ons, just like the airlines.

Included is a cleaning cost of 750 baht.

The hotel management presumably pays a maid 300-400 baht a day to clean 10-20 rooms.

These clowns must think every guest came down in the last shower.

Recommendations in the area and price range welcome.

Agoda has always been a dodgy company with unethical practices. Just go on Google maps, look at your chosen area, filter by hotel, look the review, contact the hotel directly and book.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

Agoda has always been a dodgy company with unethical practices. Just go on Google maps, look at your chosen area, filter by hotel, look the review, contact the hotel directly and book.

Normally 5 to 10% cheaper on Agoda.

52 minutes ago, pomchop said:

I have used agoda for many years and have booked dozens of hotels via them.  Never had a hint of a problem and always found their prices and payment/cancellation policies clearly stated and most often cheapest of various sites. 

I have had friends complain when they DID NOT READ the terms and then got hit with a cancellation fee because they booked a non refundable room.....and then of course they scream they got ripped off.

There is one slight rip off with Agoda. If you pay now you'll pay the exact price as expected. But if you choose pay later they will charge you in a currency that they choose to use, sometimes USD some times Yuan or whatever, AND add 5 per cent. I don't mind the currency fluctuation, but the additional 5 per cent is not made clear and hidden somewhere deep in the terms and conditions which, forgive me for not reading top to bottom. 

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You may be right, it could be a weekly fee. I doubt that would have changed anything if I had finalized the booking.

I've come across extra fees, including cleaning, in other Agoda searches, so it's not an isolated instance.

I never said it was isolated, every chance there will be cleaning fees on all the privately owned listings. I would stay away from their "Homes" listings.

You have to be very careful with Agoda, they are inconsistent with their own fees, sometimes included, sometimes not. 

I had an issue with them during covid over a refund of nearly £500, it was a protacted argument but my bank won out in the end.

Difficult company to deal with if you run into a problem.

31 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

There is one slight rip off with Agoda. If you pay now you'll pay the exact price as expected. But if you choose pay later they will charge you in a currency that they choose to use, sometimes USD some times Yuan or whatever, AND add 5 per cent. I don't mind the currency fluctuation, but the additional 5 per cent is not made clear and hidden somewhere deep in the terms and conditions which, forgive me for not reading top to bottom. 

If you pay by card, you are offered the choice of which currency you want the booking to be charged in.