Cooling my 5m2 technical room

My 5m2 technical room have always been a cold room because no windows and how its built. After get 2 x  Growatt inverters in there its getting quite hot in there so I consider to find a way to cool the room down in a way that make sense. Maybe some cooler direct from a dedicated solar panel?

Pink

My room is 4m x 3m, no windows, I have a 9,000 BTU air con unit running 24/7. I have 3 grid-tied inverters and 3 hybrid inverters with LFP ESS, 2 Computer servers with 44 disks in them, also all the controller electronics for the elevator and it’s racked for wine with a few hundred bottles.  Just make sure there are no electronic items under your A/C unit and have it professionally cleaned every 4-6 months (or when it leaks).

Edited by JBChiangRai
Spellinge
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pink7 said:

its getting quite hot in there

What is your purpose of cooling it?

a) That the machinery and circuits are cool enough.

b) Or that you are comfortable in that room.

For a, air flow with 30 or 35 degree air temperature should do the job/

For b, air flow is probably not enough. 

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is your purpose of cooling it?

a) That the machinery and circuits are cool enough.

b) Or that you are comfortable in that room.

For a, air flow with 30 or 35 degree air temperature should do the job/

For b, air flow is probably not enough. 

Currently I measure 32 degree air temperature.. Goal is hat the machinery and circuits are cool enough. I guess temp will raise more with more routers pc equipment etc in the room.

Pink

26 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My room is 4m x 3m, no windows, I have a 9,000 BTU air con unit running 24/7. I have 3 grid-tied inverters and 3 hybrid inverters with LFP ESS, 2 Computer servers with 44 disks in them, also all the controller electronics for the elevator and it’s racked for wine with a few hundred bottles.  Just make sure there are no electronic items under your A/C unit and have it professionally cleaned every 4-6 months (or when it leaks).

Any idea of the average watt usage of the 9000 BTU air con?

Pink

1 hour ago, Pink7 said:

Any idea of the average watt usage of the 9000 BTU air con?

About 900W when it's running full tilt. Normally I'd say a duty-cycle of 30% but you're not in a "normal" situation.

9000BTU is about 2.6kW of cooling, any idea just how much heat is being pumped into your room. For the servers etc. just use the power consumption, for the inverters, finger-in-the-air time methinks**.

** My finger says about 5% of rated power.

My finger also says get an inverter type, easier on start current and more efficient.

1 hour ago, Pink7 said:

Currently I measure 32 degree air temperature.. Goal is hat the machinery and circuits are cool enough. I guess temp will raise more with more routers pc equipment etc in the room.

Pink

That temperature is no problem at all for machinery and circuits. Just make sure there is some airflow over the circuits and maybe more. I would use an industrial fan, small or big, depending what you need.

Maybe run it 24/7 or on a temperature switch or only at daytime or something like that.

• 6 months later...
On 10/14/2023 at 6:20 AM, Pink7 said:

My 5m2 technical room have always been a cold room because no windows and how its built. After get 2 x  Growatt inverters in there its getting quite hot in there so I consider to find a way to cool the room down in a way that make sense. Maybe some cooler direct from a dedicated solar panel?

Pink

Been a while but i just had the idea ( well i just read also ) .

Nr 1 the room is small , having a 9000btu airco is def overkill , and it does consume some power (count 750W/h , it will be off a lot but it does cost some money also , and brings some strain on your inverters ) .Better solution for me would be a "ice battery". Icemakers are not more expensive then aircos , they are in fact cheaper ( they are lower power also , and are basically plug and play). Put a ice cube maker somewhere else , let it run , and put the icecubes in the room in a semi-open insulated box . It will cool the room , and you get some free icecubes on daily basis , and on top , if you know after a while how many ice cubes you need , you can run the icecubemaker just for a few hours a day .

Not for you maybe , but i think you can put a battery in a old refrigerator , 2nd hand ... they are cheap , only need to run on lowest setting (highest temp), have metal wall (burn) and keep your batteries at nice cool temp .  I know there are selfbuilds around with compressors and evap just need to build the box yourself , but it might take some looking around . 2nd hand fridges are very easy to find