‘A dangerous game’: Republican chaos and indecision as crises shake the world

Social Media

image.png

Israel and Gaza explode, Ukraine asks for more help and other predicaments demand US attention while Republicans quarrel among themselves

The US’s closest ally in the Middle East is reeling from what many call its “9/11” and now a humanitarian disaster looms in Gaza. Winter is approaching in Ukraine, which needs urgent supplies to maintain its counteroffensive against Russia. From China’s expansive ambitions, to coups in Africa, to the climate crisis, the world is crying out for leadership.

But on Capitol Hill in Washington, Republicans can’t find one. Friday marked the 10th day of paralysis as the party struggles to elect a speaker of the House of Representatives to replace the ousted Kevin McCarthy. This after majority leader Steve Scalise won a closed-door vote but abandoned his run because he lacked enough support to win on the House floor.

Such petty bickering, grievances and vendettas might typically fascinate seasoned Washington watchers and readers of political insider newsletters but be met by a shrug by many Americans and indifference overseas. This time, however, is different. The ripples of Republican dysfunction could soon be felt across a troubled world.

“It’s a dangerous game that we’re playing,” Michael McCaul, chairman of the House foreign affairs committee, told reporters on Thursday. “It just proves our adversaries right that democracy doesn’t work. Our adversaries are watching us and Israel is watching. They need our help.”

McCaul, a Republican congressman from Texas, has put forward a bipartisan resolution with Gregory Meeks of New York, the top Democrat on the committee, condemning Hamas and reaffirming support for Israel. But the House cannot vote on it until there is a speaker in the chair.

McCaul added: “I’m going to remind my colleagues about how dangerous this is. If we don’t have a speaker, we can’t assist Israel in this great time of need after this terrorist attack. So I think we’re playing with fire and we need to stop playing games and politics with this and vote a speaker in.”

Analysis byDavid Smith in Washington

FULL ARTICLE:

Guardian.png

1 hour ago, Tug said:

I personally find troubling is the lack of bipartisan cooperation in these troubled times the chaos brought on by maga is destroying our democracy it needs to be cut out and destroyed

The clinching of the security blanket of the maga obsession is no doubt part of the problem 

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2023 at 4:12 PM, Social Media said:

McCaul added: “I’m going to remind my colleagues about how dangerous this is. If we don’t have a speaker, we can’t assist Israel in this great time of need after this terrorist attack. So I think we’re playing with fire and we need to stop playing games and politics with this and vote a speaker in.”

Sounds good to me. If 2 carrier groups isn't enough, one shudders to think what more might be sent.

On 10/15/2023 at 4:12 PM, Social Media said:

“It’s a dangerous game that we’re playing,” Michael McCaul, chairman of the House foreign affairs committee, told reporters on Thursday. “It just proves our adversaries right that democracy doesn’t work.

Hmmmm. Sounds like he prefers something more dictatorial.

IMO the strength of democracy is that it IS messy. That reflects the reality that humans are messy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2023 at 10:12 AM, Social Media said:

“It just proves our adversaries right that democracy doesn’t work.

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried

• Like 1