EU law could stop UK sending migrants to Rwanda despite Brexit, lawyers tell Supreme Court

Social Media

There are still hundreds of EU laws on the UK statute books. As the UK is no longer in the EU, they can be removed by special acts of parliament singly or en bloc. The main problem seems to be is that the UK is still signed up to the ECHR, which is how just one judge (somewhere but not the UK) managed to stop the first intended flight to Rwanda.

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There are no EU laws on the UK Stature Book, they are all UK laws.

The mass repeal of those laws was one of Sunak’s quieter U-Turns, interestingly Rees-Mogg, whose mad idea it was and his chums in the ERG were also very quiet about that U-Turn.

The ECHR is nothing at all to do with the EU, the UK was a founding member.

Like Rees-Mogg’s ‘great repeal’ more stable heads won’t go near leaving the ECHR though Braverman says it’s in her agenda.

Perhaps it would have been a good idea to have read the BREXIT withdrawal agreement before signing it into law.

I didn't sign it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RayC said:

That was UKIP's idea (serve Article 50 the day after the referendum result). They also believed that the EU needed us more than we needed them. Presumably, this strategy was based on the belief that two wrongs make a right?

nag nag

• Confused 1

On 10/16/2023 at 12:00 PM, Georgealbert said:

So we should leave the ECHR, and isolate ourself further from the Council of Europe, because we had a decision you don't like?

Did you know the Council of Europe was first suggested by Winston Churchill in 1943.

I have provided 2 links about the organisations, please try not to let you hatred of the EU, blinker you view.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Europe

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Court_of_Human_Rights

LOL.

I very much doubt Churchill envisaged the fiasco in Brussels, and IMO he didn't fight the Germans to give them power over Britain later.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL.

I very much doubt Churchill envisaged the fiasco in Brussels, and IMO he didn't fight the Germans to give them power over Britain later.

Your knowledge of the UK, is the same as most of your posts, based on your own limited view of everything.

Why would someone from New Zealand even want to comment in a Thai forum on a UK issue. 

Life must be boring.

Please feel free to add me to your pages of blocked users (your own previous posting), that way you only have to read anything that agrees with you opinions.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Your knowledge of the UK, is the same as most of your posts, based on your own limited view of everything.

Why would someone from New Zealand even want to comment in a Thai forum on a UK issue. 

Life must be boring.

Please feel free to add me to your pages of blocked users (your own previous posting), that way you only have to read anything that agrees with you opinions.

LOL. Another one that read a few posts from me and thinks they know everything about me.

Your wish is granted. I no longer need to read <deleted> from you.

Bye.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2