Changes To Retirement Visas Heralded

I went to Chiang Khan for my 90 day address verification today. I took my income statement letter from the US Embassy and asked him if I could use it in November when I apply for my yearly extension. The answer was a FIRM no. I was told I need a new letter from the US Embassy then I need two copies certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Why two certified copies? I was also reminded that I will need a new doctors report. Last November he also insisted that I needed a doctors report even though after October of last year it was no longer needed. Since I have never had a problem there, I'll do as he asked.

Your post pretty much sums up the state of the Thai Immigration staffing situation. Pretty sad really.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where would you have to go in Bangkok to have this done?

Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

AKA the Ministry of Interminable Waiting . . . :o

Personally - have only been to the department of consular affairs for the kids Thai passports, but have never had to wait too long there.

It's a long way out though - so it means people would have a hard time doing the embassy, then MFA, then immigration in one day. (Isn't there an MFA office closer to the centre - where the embassies are...)

Admittedly, retirees should have time on their hands, but it always strikes me as odd that Thailand wants people to retire here, then forces them through all these hoops.

Earlier this month I renewed my retirement visa at the Jomtien office. I followed the advice of Barry Kenyon, the Honorary Consul, not to bother with the married man's visa since it is too much hassle. I paid about 2300 baht for a letter which confirmed by annual income and was under the impression that this would hold good for a period of two years. I have since learned that I have to pay 2300 baht every year for this piece of paper. Since it cost only 1900 baht to get the visa it begs the question why so much? I did have to provide proof of income BTW. Since pensions can only increase and annuities are fixed monthly sums going to BKK once and the documentation being good for several annual renewals seems to be a good idea.

Did you get your letter on the spot or did you have to wait ? What is the Consul's contact (office address, tel number) ?

Thanks

Barry's telephone number is 0817827363. Show him your paper work and you get your letter the next day. He attends the Immigration Centre in Soi 5, Jomtien every morning between the hours of 0900 and 0930 but if he gets away at that time my guess is that he is pretty lucky. He will take your documentation away with him and return it with the aforementioned letter. Your details are cleared through the Embassy just in case you are on a 'most wanted' list.

If your guaranteed income is less than 800,000 baht p.a. you must have the shortfall deposited in a Thai bank and get a letter from the bank to verify this. Last year I put money in the bank, got my visa and then withdrew the money all on the same day. Usually well informed people have told me that the Immigration Police will actually lend you money to satisfy their requirements but that the rate of interest is horrendous. My regard for the IP is such that I believe it to be true.

Where would you have to go in Bangkok to have this done?

Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

AKA the Ministry of Interminable Waiting . . . :o

Personally - have only been to the department of consular affairs for the kids Thai passports, but have never had to wait too long there.

It's a long way out though - so it means people would have a hard time doing the embassy, then MFA, then immigration in one day. (Isn't there an MFA office closer to the centre - where the embassies are...)

Admittedly, retirees should have time on their hands, but it always strikes me as odd that Thailand wants people to retire here, then forces them through all these hoops.

I believe that the MFA is within walking distance of a Skytrain station - and I only walk any distance in pursuit of a little white ball with dimples on it.

Seems to me that the whole issue is confusing.

1) According to the original statement the suggestion is that MFA want the original Embassy letter for official MFA approval stamping. There is NO reference to any translation into Thai being necessary. Surely if that was the case they would not omit this SIGNIFICANT point

2) It is said in the original article that this procedure will need to be a "once only" and no further yearly visits will be necessary. I fail to understand how that can be so, as MY understanding is that a requirement on the Embassy letter is your passport number. Therefore, when you renew your passport (be it 5, 10 years or much sooner) you will not only need a NEW Embassy letter, but ANOTHER trip to Bangkok MFA for official stamping.

3) MFA saying nearer 1st October they will clarify the issue (and in English) is TOO late.

Many people, once they know for sure what is needed MAY have to write to their Pension company and get a new Pension details letter, when received then send it/take it to their Embassy for the official Embassy letter, then they must visit MFA (with or without translation) and ONLY THEN can they visit their local Immigration Bureau office (interesting word "local" as my "local" immigration office is 3 hours train journey away in Nong Khai from Khon Kaen) to try and get their new or first "Retirement" Non imm. 'O' Visa.

Just how long before the official Visa renewal date do the Immigration Bureau believe we need to start our "renewal" procedure???? I would have thought NOW was the time the MFA should be publishing the new requirements and official clarification points to give everybody time to process the new requirements before their current Visas expire.

Can anybody clarify if my thinking is in error on these three points please.

Regards, Dave

As the statement of income is a form letter at most embassies, one would think that the considerate and cost-effective way would be for them to issue the form in Phassa Thai, to save their citizenry more hassle than already exists. Just a thought... :o

As my avatar indicates, I am a strong supporter of Thailand and all things Thai, but this proposed new regulation has started to build anger within me and is moving me toward the camp of falangs that believe the Thai government has no real interest in the plight of falang retiree guests in their country, other than to collect fees from them.

I shrugged off the 90 day notification of residence for long stay retirees as being outside my capacity to know the sense of it. My feeling is that if you don't move from your reported last address, no report should be required as immigration can always locate you. The costs for both the retirees and the immigration department in participating in this program of reporting seems to be to be one huge waste of resources. My pen rai.

Now we are faced with proposed regulation that makes absolutely no sense as initially promulgated in the press. What is the MFA doing meddling in the province of the Immigration Police, which is to determine the legitimacy of documents submitted to support immigration matters?

My imagination leads me to the possibility that the MFA closely guards its exclusive right to deal with Foreign Governments and their representatives and since the document in question is originated by a foreing embassy or consulate, it is exclusively within the jurisdiction of the MFA. Surely the Immigration Police have continued dealings with Embassies when foreign nationals are arrested. Surely the Tourist Police do. Does the MFA get involved in everyone of those cases?

Is it a turf war between the MFA and Immigration? Does this turf war prevent the MFA from faxing the lists they will use to verify embassy staff signatures to the immigration police to use in their verification duties? Do they not trust Immigration Police to carry out a simple verification process, probably to be conducted by low level staff at MFA?

Is the MFA in a bitch fight with a foreign government or two that refuse to cooperate in the creation or handling of the pension letter so they are penalizing retirees as a result?

Is not the Immigration Police capable of determining the level of documentation necessary to validate proof of pension income abroad so Embassies are not even involved in pension verification. Surely an annual pension statement mailed by a government to a government pensioner in Thailand should be adequate proof of pension income?

Please help me stem my anger and move me back to a complete prothaiexpat state of mind by explaining a rational reason for this new regulation and the way it is being implemented.

The news article points out that the majority of retirees use the pension + bank account method of meeting the financial means regulation, so we are not talking about only a few foreigners or a minor amount of expense and inconvenience for the retirees or for that matter the MFA.

Assume this scenario, one of the new vice counsel in Chiang Mai has yet to have his signature forwarded to the MFA, assuming that is standard procedure, and he is assigned window notary duty. A Chiang Mai retiree, with no way to verify if this low level consulate staff member is registered with MFA, goes to Bangkok to the MFA for a verification stamp in his pension letter signed by the aforementioned person. We all know what will happen is such a case. Is the MFA using retirees to get foreign government reps to clean up their act? Ideas please, I am tired of this slow burn!!!

Are any representatives, honorary or otherwise, of retirees asking these questions of the MFA? Are retirees of such a class of persons that they have no representation before the MFA or the executive branch of the Thai government? As guests of Thailand, are retirees required by etiquette to remain silent and suffer the consequences of non-nonsensical Thai government regulations? If either of the foregoing regulations make sense to you, please post or PM me so many of us can allow our anger and frustration to subside.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

If a visit to the MFA is required and you do not live in Bangkok there are other options other than travel.

I live in Chiang Mai was told once for one document I needed a MFA stamp. There is a visa/translation service near the U.S. Consulate here in CM that will send the documents to the MFA in Bangkok to get the required stamp.

It's cheaper than traveling to Bangkok and you save a lot of time. Perhaps other cities in Thailand have visa/travel companies that offer similiar services.

Please share the name and location of this service that you have used in the past?

Is there any way to verify whether the MFA will allow this service to obtain their stamp when the press report speaks in language suggesting a personal appearance is required by the retiree and only in cases of disability will alternative methods of stamp acquisition will be allowed?

ProThaiExpat, an expatriate can be pro-Thai in many ways and still be bewildered, confused, perplexed and exasperated by the Thai government's disregard for foreigners. It's quite likely that a government can implement a procedure which immigrants (and in our case, non-immigrants) can't do and can't understand the logic. Our own national govt. does it, too. There's one category of special scientist/expert category that lets you come to the USA, but basically you have to win a Nobel prize single-handed to qualify.

The way around this is to have 800k baht for 3 months in your account.

A letter from the Embassy is then not required.

What about a letter from the EMbassy to confirm your adress or a new passport, etc will we have to have it translated and certified by the MFA also ?......

I have just received the minutes of last Sunday's Pattaya Expat Club meeting and although there is not really any further expansion of the subject matter in this article, it indicates that there will be more details in the next edition of Pattaya Today. As indicated also below, Barry is the M.D. of Pattaya Today, so the articles placed in this newspaper on this matter are not hearsay, but come from a sound source.

Below is the quote from Pattayacityexpatsclub newsletter of Sunday 22/07:-

"We also heard from Barry Kenyon, Honorary British Consul and Managing Director of the Pattaya Today Newspaper, an always welcome guest. Barry informed the attendees that most Embassies were becoming increasingly busy and were also in the process of installing sophisticated identification technology. He described the new requirements for obtaining or renewing a visa when using a pension verification or certification letter from the relevant Embassy as proof of pension income. The new requirement, effective Oct. 1, 2007 for new and renewal Retirement Visas, requires that the Embassy letter verifying pension income must have an additional stamp from the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. To review the article that was in Pattaya Today, go to our website at Pattayacityexpatclub

Barry said the next issue of his Newspaper will contain more details about the new Regulations governing this requirement."

I think Pattaya Today is a fortnightly edition, so next issue will be due end of the month...... :o

Thanks PeaceBlondie: You make sense as usual and your comment does help.

Krub: Now that you mention it, in would seem that by making pension letter + very difficult encourages retirees to go the 800K baht route which merely makes more severe the foreign currency inflow problem which is blamed for the unacceptably strong baht. Talk about one hand not knowing what the other is doing, MFA encourages foreign currency inflow while BOT launches five new plans to reverse the flow.

Actually they have been trying to limit the inflow for foreign currency as that is what keeps the baht on a high. The most recent proposal is to make it easier to send money out of Thailand as the inflow restrictions did not meet a favorable audience or make much difference.

Thanks PeaceBlondie: You make sense as usual and your comment does help.

Krub: Now that you mention it, in would seem that by making pension letter + very difficult encourages retirees to go the 800K baht route which merely makes more severe the foreign currency inflow problem which is blamed for the unacceptably strong baht. Talk about one hand not knowing what the other is doing, MFA encourages foreign currency inflow while BOT launches five new plans to reverse the flow.

I doubt that even if all retirees were to go the 800k baht route it would have much effect on the overall inflow of foreign funds into Thailand

I strongly believe that we are seeing the result of the Thai administration trying to close all the loopholes as best as they can to stop the faked documents they have been getting.

Allowing the guy at the counter to approve or not statement of income as suggested would leave the door to even more difficulties as every pension income statement is different in shape, content, language, etc.

A bank statement in Thailand seems to me the most easy straightforward way of proving you are able to takecare of yourself for the next year.

But of course they had to try and close the loophole of the guys 'borrowing' the amount for the 1 day to get the bank statement

Again we are all paying the results of the guys trying to 'beat' the system.

The authorities are merely trying to make it more difficult for fakes with various degrees of success !

Edited by Krub

.... Allowing the guy at the counter to approve or not statement of income as suggested would leave the door to even more difficulties as every pension income statement is different in shape, content, language, etc.

A bank statement in Thailand seems to me the most easy straightforward way of proving you are able to takecare of yourself for the next year.

But of course they had to try and close the loophole of the guys 'borrowing' the amount for the 1 day to get the bank statement

The authorities are merely trying to make it more difficult for fakes with various degrees of success !

:o Hi Krub, I agree with much of your analysis, except that I personally feel Immigration do not seem to want Visa holders to go the "money in the Bank" route.

Had they really wished this, as a "best proof of ability to live in Thailand" I would NOT have expected them to change the Visa "based on marriage" rules last October, in which they decided that ONLY proven monthly income is valid for proof of financial thresholds. They REMOVED the previous other option of 400,000 Baht in the Bank for 3 months and any grand fathering in connection with that option. Luckily for some, Immigration left the "money in the Thai bank" option in force for Visa applications based upon Retirement.

I have also heard that if money held in a Thai bank account is static then Immigration wish to know what a Visa applicant is living on and whether that income source is from OUTSIDE Thailand (which it must be for those on Retirement Visas as we are not permitted to work and be paid in Thailand.

Seems to me its not necessarily easier for those who will apply for "Retirement" Visa based only upon money in a Thai bank.

Any thoughts on the validity and assumptions of my comments Krub. I may well be missing some important factors.

Kind regards, Dave

Edited by gdhm

Wheww, Long Thread,

I am not personally surprised by this new MFA requirement. I ran afoul of it a few months ago. For 10 years I had told my wife to change her ID card to her married name. ("Yes dear, when I have time"). Then we went to renew her passport, and even though her original passport had a page showing her married name, the new e-passport would only be issued exactly as her ID card. PIA as we were just ready to leave from the USA for Thailand and naturally I had purchased business class tickets in her married name. We talked to the Los Angeles Thai consulate, and they prepared a certified document showing she was married and her new name. What a PIA getting through security with mis-matched names on passport and ticket).

BUT to get the ID card she had to go to the Ampur (Sikoraphum...outside Surin). Now why did all this matter. Well we were going to pay off some land costing 4 million baht, and I finally said NO unless it is in your married name. No more Illee che che.

She took my car and driver to Sikoraphum and rounded up the Puh Yi Ban, and was in front of the office at 6:30AM. Bottom line is they did not care how much time, effort or urgency there was, unless the Consulate paper had the green stamp from the MFA office they would not issue a new ID card. (Even a 1000 Baht tea money envelope would not sway them). This was on a Wed. morning, we were scheduled to complete the purchase on Thursday, and on a plane on Saturday, as I had buisness that could not be delayed in Los Angeles the following Monday.

Sunbelt was kind enough to provide me with the service, and got the "green" MFA stamp on Friday before we left. We did the land purchase (but in her single name), and now 3 months later I am paying for another plane ticket plus "expense" money so she can return to Thailand get her new ID card, (Then pay for a new Passport), change the name on some 7 Chanotes we own, and come back home.

I have found that the MFA stamp is essential on to many Thai government agencies, even though I question why, it is the "Thai" way.

Guess it sounds like I am not too sympathetic to those that have to spend an extra day in BKK to get a stamp.

Edited by old wanderer

.... Allowing the guy at the counter to approve or not statement of income as suggested would leave the door to even more difficulties as every pension income statement is different in shape, content, language, etc.

:o Hi Krub, I agree with much of your analysis, except that I personally feel Immigration do not seem to want Visa holders to go the "money in the Bank" route.

Had they really wished this, as a "best proof of ability to live in Thailand" I would NOT have expected them to change the Visa "based on marriage" rules last October, in which they decided that ONLY proven monthly income is valid for proof of financial thresholds. They REMOVED the previous other option of 400,000 Baht in the Bank for 3 months and any grand fathering in connection with that option. Luckily for some, Immigration left the "money in the Thai bank" option in force for Visa applications based upon Retirement.

I have also heard that if money held in a Thai bank account is static then Immigration wish to know what a Visa applicant is living on and whether that income source is from OUTSIDE Thailand (which it must be for those on Retirement Visas as we are not permitted to work and be paid in Thailand.

Seems to me its not necessarily easier for those who will apply for "Retirement" Visa based only upon money in a Thai bank.

Any thoughts on the validity and assumptions of my comments Krub. I may well be missing some important factors.

Kind regards, Dave

Hi Dave,

I do not think there is any agreed concerted policy by the Thai administration to favour one or the other methods.

They seem to react with some delays to loopholes used by the applicants.

Example 1: The new requirement ot have the MFA stamp an Embassy issued letter 'to verify the letter' seems to me a response to cases where applicants have doctored the letters and presented them to the immigration police for processing. Up to now most immigration offices were even happy with copies of the letter as long as the adress and passport numbers remained the same (this to me looked like an easy rule for the applicant). Then some immigration offices were reported to want and keep up to date originals and now this new requirement to have the letter 'verified' by the MFA.

All this has noting to do with the ability of the applicant to provide for himself (the prime purpose of the letter) but only to make sure it is not a fake (at least this is how I see it).

Example 2 : The requirements by some immigration offices to see funds coming in from abroad into the account and or to see movement on the bank account, the new rule to see the balance for 3 months before application, although the balance has the rrequired amount is a reaction to smart applicants borowing the funds for the 1 day application.

There is no full prooof 100% fair system and I see this happening in many countries where authorities have to make it more difficult for all because a few (I think especially on tourist visas to western countries for Thais but this is another subject)

Please share the name and location of this service that you have used in the past?

Star Visa Service

409 Wichayanond Rd

Muang, Chiang Mai, Thailand

email: [email protected]

Tel: 053-232-478

Just to test the waters, I went to Star Visa Service last Tuesday. They didn't seemed surprised that I asked for the stamp on my pension declaration from the American Consulate. They promptly copied my passport, translated the consulate document and sent both documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Total cost 1800 baht. I asked what the turnaround-time might be and was told three days. Well, it's Saturday and no call yet. Time will tell what the MFA is really going to do I guess. If it does come back stamped, I will go to Chiang Mai Immigration and ask them to review the document and verify I can use it after October 1st. Will keep all informed.

I dont know about all of this but I do know that when I went yesterday to renew my retirement visa the rules have changed again.

Now they will only issue a one month extension, during the one month an immigration officer is supposed to visit you at your place or residence to check you really live there. Also they may want to see proof that the money you have in the bank (800,000 thb) actually came from abroad and that its being used to support your stay here. When they are satisfied they will issue the one year retirement visa.

This was at BKK Immigration. The rule came into force 4 days ago.

Edited by petergurling

I dont know about all of this but I do know that when I went yesterday to renew my retirement visa the rules have changed again.

Now they will only issue a one month extension, during the one month an immigration officer is supposed to visit you at your place or residence to check you really live there. Also they may want to see proof that the money you have in the bank (800,000 thb) actually came from abroad and that its being used to support your stay here. When they are satisfied they will issue the one year retirement visa.

Just an observation: They are upset that the successive rule changes have not forced 99% of all expats out of Thailand, so they keep raising the bar. I predict that the 800K rule will be changed soon to well over 1 million baht. I know I am supposed to be MR. HAPPY. But these changes continue to piss me off! They are hurting good expats AND Thais.

The rules/regulations keep changing, and always in a bad way. They have led to a strong climate of uncertainty that is putting the breaks on both small and large scale investment.

The only certain thing in this xenophobic climate is this: Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam, and the Philippines are celebrating each time the Thai government makes a change to the visa/business rules.

Now.....maybe I can say something good about Thailand..........hummmmmmm.......they have done a good job with their health care system.

Hi Dave,

I do not think there is any agreed concerted policy by the Thai administration to favour one or the other methods.

They seem to react with some delays to loopholes used by the applicants.

Example 1: The new requirement to have the MFA stamp an Embassy issued letter 'to verify the letter' seems to me a response to cases where applicants have doctored the letters and presented them to the immigration police for processing. Up to now most immigration offices were even happy with copies of the letter as long as the address and passport numbers remained the same (this to me looked like an easy rule for the applicant). Then some immigration offices were reported to want and keep up to date originals and now this new requirement to have the letter 'verified' by the MFA.

All this has noting to do with the ability of the applicant to provide for himself (the prime purpose of the letter) but only to make sure it is not a fake (at least this is how I see it).

Example 2 : The requirements by some immigration offices to see funds coming in from abroad into the account and or to see movement on the bank account, the new rule to see the balance for 3 months before application, although the balance has the required amount is a reaction to smart applicants borrowing the funds for the 1 day application.

There is no full proof 100% fair system and I see this happening in many countries where authorities have to make it more difficult for all because a few (I think especially on tourist visas to western countries for Thais but this is another subject)

Hi Krub,

I agree 100% with everything you have said Krup and certainly on closing loopholes which are be exploited completely contrary to the intentions or spirit of Thai Immigration/Visa Regulations. Doctoring of documents I have NO sympathy for. It is a civil offence at best and a criminal offence and worst.

I suppose like most "organisations" around the World. First you try to plug the loopholes with corrective rules, more holes are found, exploited and plugged. Then some of the "plugs" inadvertently make new loopholes which then need plugging and are plugged. In the end, the original rules plus ALL the loophole amendments get out of hand, disorganised, hard to follow, hard to understand and near impossible to implement consistently.

This is when it needs one intelligent brave soul with the required authority to say lets rewrite the Regulations in a way that meets ALL our intentions and needs and is clear and transparent for all (staff and clients) AND when ready for adoption scrap the existing Regulations (with all their ungainly amendments).

I have never had a problem with the amount or type of Thai Visa requirements, or the right of Thailand to set them.

I think most of us decent, fair people only ask for clarity, consistency and as much ease of process as is feasible to aid both us applicants and the various Thai Government authorities overseeing specific aspects of Foreigners short or long term guests within Thailand.

Kind regards, Dave

I don't understand this change. To the best of my knowledge there was never a requirement that you have a fixed address in Thailand in order to be retired there. You could be retired in Thailand and be traveling all around the country and as long as you had 800,000 baht in the bank or 65,000 baht per month income or a combination you were OK for renewal.

The check of your residence location is, again as far as I know, a requirement for an extension of permission to stay based on marriage.

Also, if you have followed the rules and reported you address every 90 days, and any address changes in between, the immigration authorities already know where you live. I assume they can kick you out if you have not told them the truth about where you live on these reports.

Fortunately for me, my next retirement renewal is in May of next year. By then, it will all be clear and well documented. I suggest, all who have a long time to run before their renewal, sit back, relax and wait. All will be revealed in due course. :o

Hi,

Thanks for this report.

Immigration officers will gte busy if they have to start visiting all retirees....

Was it your first extension of stay ?

I disagree with the people who are saying that immigration doesn't want the 800,000 baht in the Thai bank. The past two years I have been told that 800,000 would be a LOT easier. Because of the exchange rate and the poor interest rate being paid by the Thai banks, I refuse to transfer the 800,000. Then again, the immigration office I use still insists on me having the doctor's report. It is pretty obvious, at least to me that every office has its own rules.

Star Visa Service

409 Wichayanond Rd

Muang, Chiang Mai, Thailand

email: [email protected]

Tel: 053-232-478

Just to test the waters, I went to Star Visa Service last Tuesday. They didn't seemed surprised that I asked for the stamp on my pension declaration from the American Consulate. They promptly copied my passport, translated the consulate document and sent both documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Total cost 1800 baht. I asked what the turnaround-time might be and was told three days. Well, it's Saturday and no call yet. Time will tell what the MFA is really going to do I guess. If it does come back stamped, I will go to Chiang Mai Immigration and ask them to review the document and verify I can use it after October 1st. Will keep all informed.

Soujorner: Thanks for the info. As soon as I learned of this service, I e-mailed them and asked if they had checked with the MFA to see if this method was allowed. No reply yet. My application for extension must be made by Nov. 1 so you can see I will be in a bind if all this is not sorted out by then. I guess I can get my pension letter much earlier and have the stamp in hand by the 1st of October, if they will do it early. You will be my "stalking horse."

Please post the outcome, many will be relying on your information.

Many thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for this report.

Immigration officers will gte busy if they have to start visiting all retirees....

Was it your first extension of stay ?

Hi again. No this is my 3rd retirement visa. Dave I am not married and I have reported every 90 days I have moved once and immigration were told of the change. As we all know new rules come out from immigration on a more than regular basis and this is just another one.