Swedish family raised 735.000 SEK to fly young woman home

webfact

39 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I don't think that is disputed but whether or not she shows her tits and bits on the internet is irrelevant, it's the "large debt" assertion that he needs to justify as he was using that to claim that she (and her family) is defrauding donors.

She's been in Thailand for at least 6-12 month, she's not a backpacker. In Sweden it's public information if someone is in debt or has been sentenced for something. I don't know if the fundraiser is honest or not. But there's a lot of red flags and no evidence at all, some scrutiny should be required. There is a thread on a Swedish forum with more than 1200 posts about this.

• Love It 1

34 minutes ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:
2 hours ago, keystonecoppers2 said:

Edrigo!   On AseanNow, on Monday the 16:th. Keep up!!

I can't see anything in your post.

Was very simple to find, it was at the bottom of this story

Just now, IndomitableSpirit said:

They won't really tell you or whoever wrote that email unless you go there or the patient gives permission. Are you new to Thailand? As if you are not aware how things work in Thailand.

If you really have those concerns, go to the police and tell them your theories because if you will just go back and forth with people here, then your concerns are futile.

I know that's how it works. But there's a lot of red flags, and more scrutiny is required.

6 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

I hope the young lady has a full recovery.

I wish her all the best if it was not fake news. However,

obviously it was easy to get money by begging other people.

Maybe it's appropriate to set up a fund raising now if I can't pay my bills in future.

So I beg everyone to send me money. Sarcasm off.

When travellers left their stupidity at home and switch on their brain if any they should buy a sufficient insurance.

I ask the govt. to implement a mandatory insurance. Every visitor should have one with a cover of at least 5 Mill. Baht. No exceptions, Not even for expats who live here the last years of their life. 😳

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is 2nd in the world for road accidents. Samui is #1 in Thailand.

No it isn't - it is one of the highest for road deaths per 100 k of pop.

THere are no reliable figures for Samui, and definitely no figures for "foreigners" or "tourists" which are two overlapping groups.

Edited by kwilco

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

I always wonder what has happened in the lives of people like you, who fall for the most primitive fake news. One can only feel sorry for you, mentally retarded!

What's wrong with you? What's wrong with trying to help innocent people from being scammed? Wake up.

Edited by EdrigoSalvadore

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is 2nd in the world for road accidents. Samui is #1 in Thailand.

No it isn't - it is one of the highest for road deaths

THere are no reliable figures for Samui, and definitely no figures for "foriegners" or "tourisrts" which are two overlapping groups.

I too have been riding for over 50 years – I used to sell motorbikes and worked for a racing team for a short while.

For 20 years I’ve ridden bikes in Thailand when my car was off the road and I had a KTM Duke on Samui.

I think personal and anecdotal possibly apocryphal stories of friends of friends are not helpful.

Let’s face it most of the people renting M/Cs in Thailand are rank amateurs and probably now riding illegally

If you are going to rent a motorcycle in Thailand you should be a competent road user – most “experienced” motorcyclists are just people who have been riding o=for a while and picked up bad habits. If you can’t read the road – especially the surface – as second nature then you have no business being on a bike anywhere in the world – but Thailand is most likely to show up your short comings.

About 75% of ALL road deaths in Thailand are people on 2-wheeled vehicles. (In a 4-wheeled vehicle, you are statistically safer than you are on the roads of the USA).

This girl was a passenger – but she made a choice to go on the bike.

“huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box” – not really the numbers are almost impossible to find out – but there is a significant number who get killed –

There are 3 categories of injury in road incidents = fatal, serious and minor

the big numbers are those who in the latter two categories of injury. Anyone visiting a hospital on Samui will find A&E full of westerners getting treatment or dressings changed, in the wards there are always a few who require hospitalisation. Getting the precise figures is something the Thai authorities are not keen to do.

“Wear the best helmet you can afford”

– head injuries account for about 37% of deaths and helmets prevent this to a point – nothing to do with size of bike or speed – even if you fall off  whilst stationary, you can crack your skull. helmets are effective in reducing head injuries to motorcyclists who crash by 72%.

The helmets supplied by rental companies are mostly inadequate – so what do you do? Buy one???

Most people don’t realise that if you just drop you helmet on the floor, it should be replaced as the structural integrity will have been damaged. So I guess just try and get the best helmet they’ve got and hope for the best.

However most injuries are arms legs feet and ribs – it is feet that get the worst.

Why – because people don’t wear protective clothing. You’re in paradise so it’s tempting to wear “singlet, speedos and thongs” (translate from Aussie if you want) but they are likely to be the ones to put you in hospital.

Samui sunburn/tattoo or road rash – these injuries will put a spoiler on your holiday and the worst of all is the damage caused by unprotected feet – some will never walk properly or run again

“And drive like a grandmother.” – no DON’T – drive like an athlete – concentrate and hone your reactions – drive too slowly and be prepared to be rear-ended.

Many people are not aware that the number of collisions on Thailand’s roads is not much different from countries like UK, Netherlands etc – howver one you HAVE a collision or lose control then your chances of injury and death are MUCH (12 times) higher. Why – because of road and vehicle design and sadly because Thailand is still in the dark ages when in comes to emergency service – first responders and A&E departments vary so much in quality and response times, it’s like a lottery – so often after a crash in Thailand that Golden Hour ship has sailed without you.

To rent a bike in Thailand you need a FULL bike licence – there is no such thing as a “moped” in Thailand – there are new laws governing larger bikes – over 400 cc.

you also need an IDP to cover you home licence – it is only valid as long as you licence – up to 3 years.

The category is on the IDP is “A” other categories are not valid in Thailand

Insurance – all TAXED M/Cs in Thailand have emergency cover included

After that you re one you own – damage to the vehicle and third parties  you find yourself liable for.

As an expat are vulnerable too; you will be able to get full insurance for your bike and you maybe even on other machines – you’ll have to shop around.

Your travel insurance – as a visitor to Thailand you should have some travel insurance – it appears that the woman in the OP had lets hers lapse.

When you insure check a few things

Length of cover – even with a “year’s” insurance you may be limited to trips of 30 days each.

What are you covered for? I know of some companies that exclude the use of motorcycles

I also know of a company that limits their customers to 125 cc engine size (many newer rental bikes are now 150 cc – so watch out for that)

They ALL require the correct driving licence – e.g full M/C

Expats – did you realise that after 3 months most Thai companies insist you have a Thai driving licence?

How much cover do you really have?

I would make sure there is a re-patriate facility – this is hugely costly.

As mentioned above the treatment you get and how quickly can hugely affect your chances of recovery and how full that recovery will be – any prefer to have to option of being treated at home - The thing is Thai hospitals are only so good and you may realise that if seriously injured you need to be treated at home and have your home country’s full recovery service – that could be for years – Thai hospitals range from incompetent to downright expensive (especially if they think you have insurance) Without insurance their attitude will change dramatically – you may even be left to waste away.

I once ended up in a ward on Samui because I had worked there, they gave me 25% discount , they wanted me to stay for up to 7 nights. I stayed for 2 – the bill including ambulance medication etc was just over 60000 baht

PS - You can also make sure you r home insurance includes “excess” cover to avoid those bills on the vehicle – this applies mostly to 4-wheeled rentals.

Thousands of people visit Thailand and rent a motorcycle – have a huge amount of pleasure driving around and it males their holiday – but they seem blithely unaware of what’s at stake for the unfortunate few – not just a spoiled holiday but the very real possibility of life changing injuries or worse, a death in the family

It is unclear how remiss the Swedish woman was and although one wishes her all the best and a speedy recovery, this is yet another story in a litany of stories that highlights the serious perils of renting a motorcycle in Thailand.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

No it isn't - it is one of the highest for road deaths

THere are no reliable figures for Samui, and definitely no figures for "foriegners" or "tourisrts" which are two overlapping groups.

And all this is highly intentional. My friend at Samui rescue did not need officials figures. He saw the mangled corpses several times a week. Run the numbers. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Felicia’s travel insurance had only just expired when the accident occurred

if i'm in Thailand for 30 days me have insurance for 35 days. If 90 days me have 100.

Is this a sheap scate again???? Want other peoples pay for her when have an accident?????

Pity she have an accident  but why others need to pay for her again?????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And all this is highly intentional. My friend at Samui rescue did not need officials figures. He saw the mangled corpses several times a week. Run the numbers. 

I'm afraid he does - to get a full picture of what is happening on the roads in Thailand we need a comprehensive set of statistics - hearsay and personal anecdote is not enough. In fact it is misleading and clouds a proper understanding.

THailand is notoriously bad at compiling crash statistics and it is one of the 5 main reasons that road safety is so bad in the kingdom.

If you want to know what comprehensive stats look like, then I suggestion you take a look at te united kingdom gover=nment statistics web site - they are full open to the public....

13 hours ago, Foexie said:

Felicia’s travel insurance had only just expired when the accident occurred

if i'm in Thailand for 30 days me have insurance for 35 days. If 90 days me have 100.

Is this a sheap scate again???? Want other peoples pay for her when have an accident?????

Pity she have an accident  but why others need to pay for her again?????

Many insurance companies wi=on't cover you for longer periods - evenif toyu have year-long insurance.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

I'm afraid he does - to get a full picture of what is happening on the roads in Thailand we need a comprehensive set of statistics - hearsay and personal anecdote is not enough. In fact it is misleading and clouds a proper understanding.

THailand is notoriously bad at compiling crash statistics and it is one of the 5 main reasons that road safety is so bad in the kingdom.

If you want to know what comprehensive stats look like, then I suggestion you take a look at te united kingdom gover=nment statistics web site - they are full open to the public....

In the absence of official statistics, direct, firsthand knowledge is always second best. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

In the absence of official statistics, direct, firsthand knowledge is always second best. 

second best -  at that is not good enough for saving lives.

there are 5Es of road safety - E for emergency is one of them - unfortunately Thai lags behind in this field and those working in it are the last propeo to get a true picture from they are constantly involved and totally prone to cong=firmmation bias.

People get the wrong idea when they think asking somoene involved in something this is going to give a level headed unbiased opinion.

This istuation is beautifully explained in this Mitchell and Webb Train crash sketch - 

Edited by kwilco

20 hours ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

It's a suspicious story, with the hospital denying they treated her, and police didn't hear about the accident as well. Nothing about in the thai news. Did the accident happen the way they say? Fishy.

ffs with an attitude to life like that, you're a waste of air

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, kwilco said:

second best -  at that is not good enough for saving lives.

there are 5Es of road safety - E for emergency is one of them - unfortunately Thai lags behind in this field and those working in it are the last propeo to get a true picture from they are constantly involved and totally prone to cong=firmmation bias.

People get the wrong idea when they think asking somoene involved in something this is going to give a level headed unbiased opinion.

This istuation is beautifully explained in this Mitchell and Webb Train crash sketch - 

no wonder the English left Europe. I don't think there are too many citizens of any country in the EU that could be as insensitive - unless you're a Monty Python fan.  😉

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, paddypower said:

no wonder the English left Europe. I don't think there are too many citizens of any country in the EU that could be as insensitive - unless you're a Monty Python fan.  😉

Sometimes a wonder what goes on in someone's head here...they clearly don't understand the very serious and valid observation the sketch is making about the critical thinking process.

By missing the point you seem to be engaging in the very same flat earth thinking of Brexiteers.

Edited by kwilco
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Sometimes a wonder what goes on in someone's head here...they clearly don't understand the very serious and valid observation the sketch is making about the critical thinking process.

By missing the point you seem to be engaging in the very same flat earth thinking of Brexiteers.

oh! I missed that part - it was pure comedy then? as you can tell, I'm not English, akltho' I was well into UK comedy,  ever since Spike Milligan and Co., did radio shows. 'Round the Horne' was one of my favs. as for Brexiteers - I though they left Europe because once they lost their Empire, they didn't like foreigners any more.

Edited by paddypower
spelling

16 minutes ago, paddypower said:

oh! I missed that part - it was pure comedy then? as you can tell, I'm not English, akltho' I was well into UK comedy,  ever since Spike Milligan and Co., did radio shows. 'Round the Horne' was one of my favs. as for Brexiteers - I though they left Europe because once they lost their Empire, they didn't like foreigners any more.

What on earth are you on about...this is a discussion about road safety and a Swedish woman involved in a crash. 

You seem to be content to display your advanced age, lack of critical thinking ability and lack of knowledge of UK broadcasting

25 minutes ago, paddypower said:

. as for Brexiteers - I though they left Europe because once they lost their Empire, they didn't like foreigners any more.

That just adds to your stupidity; most Brexiteers hated the EU...................I for one love Europe - but despised the EU.