What Do You Mean By The Words Buddhist, Christian,

kwiz117

We all claim ourselves related to some religion (or to a philosophy like Buddhism)

If you asked about me, it’s true that I inherited Buddhism from my Parents, grown up in a Buddhist Country and have some understanding about Buddhism.

But I do not claim myself as “I am practicing Buddhism”. Reason is, I have a reasonable understanding about Buddhism. Therefore I know I am not practicing it. Why should I fool myself?

But I always do tell that I am a Buddhist when ever a person ask from me. Coz I believe the person who ask this question also in the same state that I am and expecting this answer. (Unless he is a Muslim) :o

What about you? If you are a Christan or from another religion, do you really practice it?

If you do not practice it, then what is the difference between you and all who do not practice but claim as they are from different religions.

I do not have an answer to this question.

Do you?

Well, an easy for me. In Germany your confession(religion) is registered at the district office, as soon as I was legally able to do so, I unregistered from being Roman-Catholic to 'no confession', this was 24 years ago. I have since developed a liking of Buddhist philosophy and started to consider myself a Buddhist since I moved to Thailand.

Like yourself, I do not know so much and practise little. So in discussions my emphasis is on learning and trying to understand more.

Native Americans have the concept of "Walk your Talk" and "Talk your Walk". In other words, do as you speak, speak as you do.

How many practicing Christians follow the Bible's teaching of giving up everything and sharing what they have with others. The best "Christians" I have met recently were at a Hari Krishna Temple.

How many Buddhists follow the five precepts - many eat meat (killing animals), drink beer, have Mia Noi etc. Somehow the purity of religion gets corrupted by our desires in everyday life - what is left is an imperfect compromise.

Should we worry about this? It has been assumed by many that "leading a good (righteous) life leads to enlightenment". However, I would suggest the opposite - "leading a more enlightened life leads to more righteous behaviour".

It is inevitable that a person in a state of ignorance will make mistakes, sin, incur karma etc. Focussing on our inadequacies in following the strict religious path only serves to make us depressed. However, all religions are a way to "bind back to the source" and as such through spiritual practice people become more enlightened - closer to Nirvana, experience more of the "kingdom of heaven" within. This inner experience is what counts - I would say that a Good Buddhist is also a Good Christian etc.

Native Americans have the concept of "Walk your Talk" and "Talk your Walk". In other words, do as you speak, speak as you do.

I would say that for Buddhism it is the same. "Buddhism" is a western term and it is just a label, a convenience. Sometimes when my practice is slack (i.e. most of the time really) and somebody asks me my religion I say 'Buddhish'!

But seriously, Buddhism is a path of 'orthopraxy, not 'orthodoxy'. That is to say 'right practice' not 'right doctrine'. Having the 'right beliefs' are of no salvific benefit unless they inform practice. All Buddhist teachers make it very clear that a good Muslim will gain a much better rebirth than a bad Buddhist. His Holiness the Dalai Lama always tells westerners, "Be a better Christian, be a better Jew", not convert to Buddhism. Of course there are many Hindus or Muslims for instance who keep the Five Precepts better than most Buddhists.

So what you call yourself, what people call you - not so important, unless it has a real effect on your inner state. I do find that when I am talking to people and it comes up that I am Buddhist it causes me to check my behaviour as I am in their eyes representing the Dhamma.

Excellent discussion folks!

I was brought up in an extreme Christian Protestant environment, my mother taking me to church a minimum of 3 times a week (many times 7 or 8 times a week when a revival was in process) for the first 18 &1/2 years of my life.

This went on from the time I was born in May of 1967 till February of 1986, when I finally got the nerve to tell my mother that I was going to the Daytona 500 one Sunday instead of church with her (my Dad never went).

Anyhow, I sat thru innumerable hellfire & brimstone sermons delivered by fiery preachers that yanked their ties off and followed up every sentence with "ah-HA!".

I've seen folk "speaking in tongues" and flopping around like fish at the alter--all in a predominantly caucasian church nonetheless.

This was all in Florida.

Since that February of 1986 I've been to church on average of about 2 times a year.

Yes I believe in the Bible, but I've never been to a church where there were people I could relate to. IE: most of them are just "strange" folks-----to me that is.

My mother THRIVES on it though. I just get the impression that most of the folks I've seen at church are living out of touch with reality.

In my opinion, just living life in the real world, trying to be as good-hearted as possible, treating others with respect and dignity (no matter what their status), having a good spouse (and kids eventually), enjoying your life in a relatively wholesome way that is not detrimental to others, and occupying oneself with some type of gainful employment that you hopefully enjoy, are just the things that make it all worth while.

I'm not perfect. I smoke, I drink I cuss.

I also work hard, take very good care of my wife, son and daughter, and here recently have been helping my brothers take care of my mother finacially, and strive every day to do better for them all.

I have many good friends who would do anything for me because they know I can and would do the same for them.

SO----------Am I good Christian? I don't go to church, I don't try to convert others, but I do believe I'm a good guy.

On to Bhuddism and where it plays into this.

Last time I was at church was about a year ago (last July), and my Thai, Bhuddist wife was with me. My mother has moderated to Baptist churches these days, so that's where we went with her.

It was a little redneck church out in the sticks with a congregation of about 20, uncomfortable wooden pews, stain glass windows, no air con---the lot.

I asked my Thai wife (as my understanding of Bhudism is rudimentary at best), if it was OK for her to go to a Christian church.

She just laughed in her sweet way and said "It's OK. Bhudda nott care. It's good I come here with you and Mom, besides, they sing songs and clap hands and it's fun"

Having said all that, I'm on the verge of claiming Bhuddism as my religion of choice, as it doesn't seem to conflict with my considering myself a Christian at the same time, AND I DO believe it would do me nothing but good to study the teachings of the Lord Bhudda further.

El Dummy