I have enough of it, what are my options?

Confuscious

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

MacOS is what you need.

I should also point out that Apple gives you much better tech support than M'soft. Friend of mine, utterly clueless about computers, was having problems getting his Mac and all-dancing printer to communicate. Got Apple on the phone right away, and they spent 30 min patiently walking him through everything, click here, there, blah blah.

He's a big user of support services and hates most of them. But he LOVED Apple's support, couldn't praise them highly enough.

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I should also point out that Apple gives you much better tech support than M'soft. Friend of mine, utterly clueless about computers, was having problems getting his Mac and all-dancing printer to communicate. Got Apple on the phone right away, and they spent 30 min patiently walking him through everything, click here, there, blah blah.

He's a big user of support services and hates most of them. But he LOVED Apple's support, couldn't praise them highly enough.

I did hear the same good things about Apple.
Although I am not a big fan from bit Computer/Software firms, Apple seems to be the exception of that.

39 minutes ago, BigStar said:

He didn't mention tabs. He said windows. He also didn't say "switching" between windows but closing and opening. That implies starting up a program. All programs, or particular programs? When? Any time? What other programs are also running? Oh--Norton😉 doing a scan, which he's installed and don't need. He would have to provide more details to analyze what he really means and fix it. Our forum experts will simply recommend a clean reinstall on an SSD. Fixing? Whassat?

In any case, commonly used programs don't by default open slowly nowadays on Windows on reasonably modern hardware. Hardware and resource usage are in fact under control of the user by choice, whether he realizes it or not.

Now, I run Fedora XFCE on an ancient throwaway netbook I keep around to tempt maids to steal in cheap hotel rooms. It's light and lovable, but it ain't fast. Open 15 tabs on Chromium, and it slows to a crawl, if Chromium doesn't outright freeze. Fedora itself don't crash, though, whereas Windows did. So that's all to the good. 

My mistake, I think of tabs as windows.

One of the reasons for my exit from Windows ( the Vista version ) was the mind-boggling amount of time it took to simply boot up, let alone operate anything else. Usually about 3 minutes. In contrast, my first use of a Linux system was about 20 seconds.

I did once have a secondhand Mac which I found to be quite user-friendly. I would probably buy one if money was no object, but the damned things are so expensive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Confuscious said:

For the "dreaded to death" answer in this thread: NOTICE THE ABSENCE FROM *.JPG in the choice of default programs!!!
You CAN NOT SELECT *.JPG anymore!!!
*.JPG is reserved for MICROS.H.I.T.
In the Registrery, you can not change *JPG destination.

Could contain:

That's weird.

Could contain:

Edited by FlorC

3 hours ago, Moti24 said:

I binned Windows 14 years ago in favour of Linux; best thing I've ever done.  I tried several distros before settling for Linux Mint, and am still using that now.

As a Windows user, you won't get lost with Mint.  You won't have to learn any coding, unless you want to.  

Download the latest Mint ISO, and try it on your computer without installing.

Excellent system, really.

If you don't mind enormous flatpacks/snaps. If you don't mind loosing functionality of your touchpad and touch screen. If you're not interested in a good taskmanager that shows you a clear picture of what your computer is doing , especially your 1 or 2 GPU's. If you don't mind pulling your SD cards out without a clear signal that you can. If you don't mind renaming files/folders with a right click.

Hard to install with secure boot on , weird grub screens at start up,.... Good windows apps that work differently (worse) or have no good alternative in linux

and I can go on and on.

But great that you are happy with it. I wish I was , so I could ditch windows.

Edited by FlorC

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My mistake, I think of tabs as windows.

One of the reasons for my exit from Windows ( the Vista version ) was the mind-boggling amount of time it took to simply boot up, let alone operate anything else. Usually about 3 minutes. In contrast, my first use of a Linux system was about 20 seconds.

I did once have a secondhand Mac which I found to be quite user-friendly. I would probably buy one if money was no object, but the damned things are so expensive.

Most of the price from a Mac goes to pay the after sales at their service centers.

Everything has it's price.

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

Most of the price from a Mac goes to pay the after sales at their service centers.

Everything has it's price.

IMO Macs are something of a fashion accessory as well, and such accessories always command a premium.

It's like when people buy a 200 SLK Mercedes for the cachet, when something like a Kia Stinger or Hyundai Kona N will do the job,just as well or better, at a lower cost.

20 hours ago, Expat68 said:

I click on Chrome on desk top, which on mine opens up Bing (do not ask me why) then key in Google in search, scroll down and you will find one that just says Google, click on it and Google opens up

Okay. So you use Chrome.

On 10/21/2023 at 3:04 PM, Lacessit said:

I recently purged Windows 11 from a new laptop, and installed Linux Mint instead. Far more user-friendly, and far less likely to have viruses attacking every day.

I haven't had issues with viruses on Windows machines since I got rid of the various, overinflated AV/spyware programs and just left it to Window's own Defender app to look after stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I purchased yesterday a new SSD Hard Disk at my usual IT-Shop.
The seller was so friendly to install Dual-Booting, Windows 11/Kubuntu.
Since yesterday, I run now mainly Kubuntu and I use Windows only if I need.
So far everything is fine.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

I purchased yesterday a new SSD Hard Disk at my usual IT-Shop.
The seller was so friendly to install Dual-Booting, Windows 11/Kubuntu.
Since yesterday, I run now mainly Kubuntu and I use Windows only if I need.
So far everything is fine.

KDE is my fave desktop environment. I'd go with Kubuntu among the 'buntus. Now there is a new rolling release, Rhino Linux, but only for the experienced.

On 10/25/2023 at 8:16 PM, Lacessit said:

IMO Macs are something of a fashion accessory as well, and such accessories always command a premium.

It's like when people buy a 200 SLK Mercedes for the cachet, when something like a Kia Stinger or Hyundai Kona N will do the job,just as well or better, at a lower cost.

image.png.8c0853d21c9df212f77c4db3ceb4a95c.png

• Haha 1