Playing Pool in Pattaya

Deserted

What's the best bar to play pool in in Pattaya? I only know two, one is called Megabreak and is on Soi Diane in central Pattaya. That's okayish, the tables are the proper professional pool tables but the bar is too limited, no food options and the decour could be a damn site better also.

The other one is Gullivers on the beach road. That's the opposite to Megabreak. The tables are too small and placed too close together, so it's not enjoyable to use them but the bar is very good, and good menu also. 

What other ones are there, preferably like Hustlers in Bangkok. Spacious, good range of drinks and proper professional pool tables. Any suggestions?

To side-track it a bit, why on earth does every bar and/or player in Thailand have different rules to play by?

On scratches, some want to pick up the ball and place it anywhere they like.

Some want to shoot from behind the line, but they can shoot backwards if they like.

Is there no standard?  Perplexed!

19 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

To side-track it a bit, why on earth does every bar and/or player in Thailand have different rules to play by?

Some want to shoot from behind the line, but they can shoot backwards if they like.

This is why I gave up playing in pool leagues.

Every bar has their own rules

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

When we visit pattaya with family we go to double kiss. Pro tables, family friendly, food options. 

Thanks, yes from what I've seen it does look like the best option, and also very near the hotel we stay in. Can walk there in under 10 mins.

21 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Depends what rules you are playing.

Some bars play in pool leagues and there are those who were playing Old English rules - behind the line but can go backwards, but many have moved to so called International rules (of which there are variants) where you pick up and place the cue ball wherever you want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-ball_pool_(British_variation)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

Snooker, pool, darts, dominoes, snakes and ladders, games for the overweight unfit brigade.

"Every bar has their own rules." yes, just like Immigration offices, Banks, Driving test center's for cars and motorbikes etc, etc. This is The Banana Republic of Thailand.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:
7 hours ago, fulhamster said:

This is why I gave up playing in pool leagues.

Every bar has their own rules

Snooker, pool, darts, dominoes, snakes and ladders, games for the overweight unfit brigade.

Which bars have more "energetic" facilities for the fit, weight-conscious brigade?

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which bars have more "energetic" facilities for the fit, weight-conscious brigade?

I can't imagine any have. But that does not stop any of the aforementioned games for being boring and monotones.

11 hours ago, topt said:

Depends what rules you are playing.

Some bars play in pool leagues and there are those who were playing Old English rules - behind the line but can go backwards, but many have moved to so called International rules (of which there are variants) where you pick up and place the cue ball wherever you want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-ball_pool_(British_variation)

In the United States, beginning players are warned that the rules vary everywhere. You need to talk to your prospective opponent before you start playing to make sure you're following the same rules. Most bar players are willing to compromise. I remember at one bar on Soi Nana an English customer, playing 8-ball, used a snooker tactic of barely nudging the ball so he hit the object ball and stayed there. Most (not all) American players are used to the tournament rule that either a ball has to be pocketed, or else the object ball, the cue ball, or some other ball has to hit a cushion. Otherwise it's a foul and you can put the ball anywhere on the table. After a bit of discussion it was agreed the English guy (who was more used to Snooker) would be deemed to have made a legal shot if he agreed to follow the 8-ball rule afterwards.

7 minutes ago, Acharn said:

In the United States, beginning players are warned that the rules vary everywhere. You need to talk to your prospective opponent before you start playing to make sure you're following the same rules. Most bar players are willing to compromise. I remember at one bar on Soi Nana an English customer, playing 8-ball, used a snooker tactic of barely nudging the ball so he hit the object ball and stayed there. Most (not all) American players are used to the tournament rule that either a ball has to be pocketed, or else the object ball, the cue ball, or some other ball has to hit a cushion. Otherwise it's a foul and you can put the ball anywhere on the table. After a bit of discussion it was agreed the English guy (who was more used to Snooker) would be deemed to have made a legal shot if he agreed to follow the 8-ball rule afterwards.

Yes the international rules that a no. of the leagues in Pattaya are now playing removes that simpler "snooker" option. I am surprised the discussion ended that amicably.....:biggrin:

I wholeheartedly agree  with your first 2 sentences and people can potentially save themselves a lot of grief by clarifying early on.

Being able to clear a blocked pocket without penalty (as long as you have hit your ball first) is one of the other major differences.

6 minutes ago, topt said:

Yes the international rules that a no. of the leagues in Pattaya are now playing removes that simpler "snooker" option. I am surprised the discussion ended that amicably.....:biggrin:

I wholeheartedly agree  with your first 2 sentences and people can potentially save themselves a lot of grief by clarifying early on.

Being able to clear a blocked pocket without penalty (as long as you have hit your ball first) is one of the other major differences.

We were playing that the loser paid for the game, IIRC ฿20. We were having fun, so amicability was possible. Actually, now that I think about it, I only remember one or two incidents where things got serious. May have been the bars I hung out in.

Edited by Acharn

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Eleven.

I think you'll find that the Hustlers in Pattaya on 3rd Road (or the one I am aware of at the top of Lengkee) has only 2 tables - or are you referring to somewhere else?

I went there once and have never hurried back......

I have found both Hustlers and Double Kiss on youtube. Double Kiss looks bigger and better. From what I can gather, Hustlers has most tables upstairs and it doesn't really look like a bar as there is no bar just sofas. Never been to either so can't really tell.

My favourite all time pool bar in Thailand is Hustlers in Bangkok (Asok area). Double Kiss looks much more like that than Hustlers in Pattaya from what I can gather from the youtube uploads, so probably I will go with double kiss, its very near my hotel also. 

19 hours ago, topt said:
On 10/24/2023 at 2:34 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Eleven.

I think you'll find that the Hustlers in Pattaya on 3rd Road (or the one I am aware of at the top of Lengkee) has only 2 tables - or are you referring to somewhere else?

I thought that you were referring to Hustlers in Bangkok.

On 10/26/2023 at 9:29 AM, bbko said:

if you can make it over to the Darkside, there's a pool hall that just opened up within the past 6 months, looks good to me.  "Khao Talo Cue Pool Hall"

Ah okay thanks. Wasn't showing video but does now. I shall try and locate it on the map.