Heavily armed gold shop raiders foiled by wily owner who threw 20kg explosive device into tank

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The attack which failed spectacularly involved a large group of heavily armed men planting ten bombs at six locations while throwing pipe bombs and firing at security checkpoints.

Time to sort out the south once and for-all... real dialouge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

During the attack, the owner of the department store, which sold gold, picked up a 20 kg explosive device and threw it into a tank after it was placed against the front door of the premises.

...i can't help wondering whether the shop owner was aware that he was lifting a 20kg explosive device

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, cdemundo said:

The robbers had a military tank?

Crazy.

Armed explosive device weighed 20kg

Mr Pipat Wongchaisri owns the business. 

At some point on Sunday morning, he discovered an improvised explosive device and threw it into a water tank to subdue its impact.

The device weighed 20 kilograms in a fire extinguisher, had a digital ignition attached, and was armed. It was placed at the entrance door to Mr Pipat’s premises.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RobU said:

You are making an assumption there are many things called a tank. In fact the term tank applied to the military vehicle was applied to the first military vehicles in the first world war to fool the Germans in to thinking it was a mobile water tank. The manager threw a 20kg bomb placed against the door into a tank. I presume it is a water tank or similar so the device explosion was contained. Hence the device did not blow the door off and the thieves could not gain entry and steal the gold

Not making any assumption, hence the question mark.

You presume?, no you make an assumption.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

...i can't help wondering whether the shop owner was aware that he was lifting a 20kg explosive device

A 20kg object is not something even a fit person could throw very far. No description of the 'tank'.

I have travelled all over Thailand in my lifetime but I have yet to see an entire department store devoted to the sale of gold.

Presumably the 'heavily armed' attackers each had a howitzer on their back.

"Quick, let's jump in this boat and paddle down the coast to Malaysia, the Coastguard will never catch us" 😋

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

During the attack, the owner of the department store, which sold gold, picked up a 20 kg explosive device and threw it into a tank after it was placed against the front door of the premises.

This is complete nonsense probably translated by a moron with hardly any knowledge of English and tidied up a subeditor with no knowledge of Thai. If you at Thai media accounts of this, you will see that that they the attack took place after 1.00 a.m. when the owner wasn't around.  The bandits had made a bomb out of a fire extinguisher. There was no tank.

• Haha 1

I just watched the video, Holy %$&%! It looked like the bank heist scene from the movie Heat.

Here's a link to the website with the video (Mods, please delete if not allowed)

https://www.newsflare.com/video/599674/suspected-terrorists-attack-military-checkpoint-and-gold-shop-in-southern-thailand