Thai Prime Minister defends controversial 10,000-baht digital handout scheme

webfact

6 hours ago, Wanderer555 said:

Is it normal for the PM to also hold other Minister positions as referenced above?

No, it is not normal in a functioning democracy.

Finance minister is a full time job and so is Prime Minister so you kind of have to conclude that he's doing half a job in both of them in order to satisfy his need for control.

An economist or very experienced banker would often be expected to fill the role of 'Finance Minister', what we call the 'Chancellor of the Exchequer' in the UK. They often go on to become Prime Ministers as it is one of the most demanding and important jobs in central government.

What we have here is a half assed attempt at controlling everything, I'm surprised he's not also minister for defence and interior as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Wanderer555 said:

As a citizen of the USA, I am not

well-versed in Parliamentary forms of government. 

Is it normal for the PM to also hold other Minister positions as referenced above? 

🧐🧐🧐

Not unusual for PM tyo hold other portfolio position if that portfolio is critical to the government mandate. Take for instance PM Winston Churchill was also the Minister of Defence or the Prayut held the Premiership as well as Defence Minister. .

On 10/24/2023 at 8:52 AM, Karma80 said:

I've yet to hear any credible argument as to why this program has a net benefit other than the PM trying to buy votes, because he surely didn't get them in the election.

agreed. I think it needs to be clear exactly what is the programs goal - which would then better define their target. 

On the surface, I don’t have an issue with state support for the low income and/or indigent persons.. I’m not so sure that it should be a flat, fixed amount for every Thai person … without some due consideration to their income level.  

Yes, it’s fair to assume that those who are on the high(er) income levels probably “pay” more into the state coffers via the various forms of taxation (ie income, VAT, excise, property etc) than those on the low(er) end.. and that perhaps then can or should translate into higher payments to these higher net tax-paying persons… but again, this is where better defining what the program is supposed to be, should give some clarity to this issue.

I’d also want controls on those state funds to make sure they’re spent as directed.. So, perhaps limiting “redemption” of those cash funds, via the wallet app, at selected stores - like registered grocery, recognized transport operators, utility providers etc versus straight “cash”.

• Confused 1