Does Anyone Else Report Spam To Spamcop.net

ozymandious

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone else report spam to spamcop.net?

Am I the only one?

Glad to read that more people are taking the time to report spam.

I can understand that people who have little time just delete spam. However, that will not reduce the ridiculous amount of spam, which uses loads of bandwidth, and forces ISP's to constantly invest in spamfilters thus making the use of internet unnecessary expensive.

I report every spam to Spamcop.net. Moreover I send removal requests for the spammed domain as well as for the (ab)used name servers. For this I am using the Complainterator. I have noticed a decrease in spam since I started using it.

However, the top criminal spammers (Rokso-listed by Spamhaus.org) are not happy with this approach.

Their response is blocking the IP-address of Complainterator users; strange situation: you get spam, but cannot visit the spammed site directly. Using DomainTools it is possible to find out which site it is. That info is usefull to include in the removal request (besides including the full original UBE).

It is a time-consuming approach, but, as spammers are more and more using hijacked pc's (botnets) it is a very useful complement to Spamcop.net.

For information, see: http://www.spamtrackers.eu/wiki/index.php?...Complainterator

I am starting to ponder that spam may be a good thing.

Now that Thai ISPs are tracking internet activity, then anything that helps to hide real messages is a good thing. Even if it just means that the investigators on the case have to wade through the junk

Anyone with a private message coud then prefix it with the usual rubrik about needing help transfering $20million and it would be doubtful if anyone would read further.

Anywy I have just turned off all my ISP spam filters with this theory in mind. It is pretty easy to filter the span at the PC level for most of the junk.